Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hoing

by Hoing

I'm currently using the Vaypor plus. Super Siff shoes.

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Hello i have a pair of bont vaypor s whyte in size 45 Wide , but they are 5mm to long for me so if anyone is interested !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Does anyone have compared the Vaypor + 2016 or the Helix with the Vaypor S?

I have the Vaypor and the Vaypor S and I really prefer the Vaypor S. I am not sure the Vaypor + 2016 or the Helix would be again an improvement however...

sungod

by sungod

TonyM wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am

I have the Vaypor and the Vaypor S and I really prefer the Vaypor S. I am not sure the Vaypor + 2016 or the Helix would be again an improvement however...
unless the fit is better for you, i don't think either would be better than the vaypor s which still seems to be bont's top model

vs. the vaypor s neither have ventilation at the arch, on those really hot rides it gives a bit of extra comfort, but i think main differences aside from colour options are...

helix no independent front-mid tension setting, i'd miss that

vaypor + leather (kangaroo/upper, cow/lining), i only had one pair of shoes with kangaroo leather (lake) and never will again, i found it stretched very fast, and drying time was much longer

TonyM

by TonyM

sungod wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am

unless the fit is better for you, i don't think either would be better than the vaypor s which still seems to be bont's top model

vs. the vaypor s neither have ventilation at the arch, on those really hot rides it gives a bit of extra comfort, but i think main differences aside from colour options are...

helix no independent front-mid tension setting, i'd miss that

vaypor + leather (kangaroo/upper, cow/lining), i only had one pair of shoes with kangaroo leather (lake) and never will again, i found it stretched very fast, and drying time was much longer
Thanks for the feedback!

I will most probably stay with my Vaypor S.
Actually VERY happy with these shoes.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I have both Vaypor + and S and having moulded both, I felt that the + was still more comfortable because it seems more moudable and I could make it accommodate my wide foot width better. Might not be a problem if you don't have the wide foot issue, or perhaps I spent more time moulding the + or was able to do it better somehow. The S looks better though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Hello someone know the diference of saddle height beetween bont vaypor and sworks 6 ; thanks.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

EMMANUEL15 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm
Hello someone know the diference of saddle height beetween bont vaypor and sworks 6 ; thanks.
Own a Bont Vaypor S (wide), tested Sworks 6 (wide) briefly so i can not give exact number.
I feel that Bont's carbon is ~2mm thinner, this is not exact number as heat molding could move a bit of carbon from forefoot to arch area changing stack height too and my Bont are already heat molded once. Their official stackheight on website is 3.6mm.
Bigger different is in the insole however, Specialized insole i tested are 4.5mm thick on the forefoot while Bont's original insole is ~1mm-ish.
I later change Bont insole to Giro Supernatural Fit Kit which maintain thin forefoot and heel but thicker on the mid foot to help arch support.

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Thanks Hexesense i did find the perfect hight is +7mm with s6 and specialized BG soil.
And i am really surprise after 3rides how the shoes is securing the foot holding it perfectly and with the BG soil it is like i am pushing on the pedales with the entire foot not only with the front part like lyke Bont and also with the more curved external soil it s like the foot is going up when you pull the pedales much more naturally.
Will see.

biohazard31

by biohazard31

Hi Guys,

Is there a way I could change the shape of my bont Vaypor+ specifically the right shoe. This have an annoying arch bump and I'm semi flat footed. Left shoe is ok, as you can see from the link I posted, the shape of sole of the shoe is different and there a very prominent dent at the bottom of the right shoe.

I tried to baked it in the oven within the stated temperature level and duration from Bont. But nothing has changed even I used the handle of a screwdriver to push it down.Tried to wear it to push the arch down and it ended cracking the heel pads.
Used a hair dryer and heat spotted at the arch area but still fail to mould.

Any other way to get around with it?
Thank you very much!

kdawg

by kdawg

Mine changed shape quite a lot in that area - I think you need an oven thermometer and try again - you shouldn’t need a screwdriver or anything for that area, just put them on and stand up.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

sungod

by sungod

afaik the temperature bont state is too low, they build in a margin of error to stop people going too high with inaccurate oven controls - i put a thermocouple on the shoe and at the 'correct' temperature it was not mouldable

i use a heat gun set to 100 c with an accurate temperature probe, that way i can control which area is heated, a hairdryer can also be used but you need to be careful as the temperature won't be regulated

biohazard31

by biohazard31

I'll give heat gun a try. Thank you!

sungod

by sungod

btw when i say the heat gun is set to 100c, that is measured just inside the nozzle, in use the gun is 2-3cm away from the shoe and moving around a bit, so the shoe temperature will be lower

to avoid stress on the material, heat a wider area than just the section you want to mould, and whether oven or heat gun, both need enough time for the full depth of the shoe to reach moulding temperature

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boozzz

by Boozzz

Looking at getting some Bonts as well. Currently ride Specialized S-Works Sub6 shoes, size 47. They seemed alright at the beginning, but they've turned out to be pretty unconfortable during and after longer rides. The back of the shoe is great, but they're too narrow at the front, especially around the outside of the ball of my foot, where my bone protrudes a bit. It also crushes the top of my big toe and second smallest toe somewhat. Have tried on lots of higher end shoes, but none have been great (Gaerne, Giro, Spiuk, Mavic, all too narrow, Diadora too wide at the back, Northwave just poor fitting overall). So now looking at a pair of Bonts. The fact they're shaped more like a foot, and they're heat moldable gives me hope.

Just wondering what to get, as nowhere around here they're being stocked. Bont's size calculator recommends a 46.5 wide for me. My left foot measures 288 x 114 mm, right is shorter at 278. However, my big toe really is pretty big and sits a bit further out, so have always needed size 47 in cycling shoes. The Vaypor S is a bit expensive for my taste, but the Riot+ does not come in a wide version. Could order some sizes in of course, but for the environment's sake I thought I'd ask here first :) Would you reckon I could get away with the Riot+ in 46,5? Or perhaps even the regular Vaypor S, since I can get that for a lot less than the wide version? How does Bont measure their width, where the foot contacts the sole, or a bit higher? Also wondering if the Riot+ would be a big step down in terms of stiffness compared to the S-Works? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.