Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, I don't know. I was a size 42 to 43 30 years ago, and still am today (although I haven't tried Bonts).

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

djconnel wrote:I just got mine. 3 Velcro straps (no buckle) for reduced mass. The "molding" process seems to work: the shoes hug my feet fairly well, and the process was painless. The soles are exceptionally stiff. One issue: one of the threaded inserts for the cleat screws wasn't grabbing, so I epoxied it in place. Another issue: the screws are on the long side, and can be felt through the thin footbed, so I might find shorter (lighter) screws.

Some numbers:
No hardware: 226.6 g (L), 228.9 g (R)
8 Bont screws: 12.5 g
2 Speedplay cleats, no plate, no screws: 54.7 g
shoes, with cleats: 260.3 g (L), 262.8 g (R)
same, for Sidi Genus 4 w/ Superfeet footbeds, including adapter plates: 383.2 g (L), 393.3 g (R)
mass saved: 253.4 g

Wow.

Note the new removable heal and toe pads -- they no longer embed the rubber in the carbon fiber.

Could you confirm that this is not possible to adjust speedplay cleat position with the 4 holes version of Bont shoes ?

Holes are just drills in the sole without any possibility of adjustement of the cleat position ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wuxy

by Wuxy

Anyone who is using Bont A-One shoes? I am considering those or the new version of Specialized S-Works.

Currently i am riding the 2009 S-Works but in Marts they won't fit no more...

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Bont A One topic locked and merged.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

djconnel

by djconnel

I'll comment on the holes: Kevin @ Bike Nüt recommends buying the shoes undrilled and drilling your own holes to allow for cleat position adjustment. The 2010 Bont shoes have a wide flat platform on the bottom of the show well suited for Speedplay pedals. The older soles were shaped differently.

He also recommends special ordering loops in all three straps if you're going for the no-buckle shoes. This allows for superior tightening of the upper strap. I'm not sure the weight penalty, or if the weight savings relative to the buckle are lost.

He further said the 2010 Bonts are sizing one size smaller) than 2009. In other words, while you'd buy a 39 Bont versus a 41 Sidi in 2009, you'd now buy a 40 Bont.

Another suggestion: if you have a shape anomalie, pad any bumps before form-fitting the shoe. Then when the shoe relaxes a bit, it will relax into the desired shape, rather than still applying preferential pressure to the bump.

All of this suggests going to a knowledgeable dealer is a good idea :).

SQ

by SQ

Not sure if this is slightly OT but stacks of the Aussie based pros are on Bonts now.

Maverick

by Maverick

I noticed that too whilst racing Bay Crits!

Also saw Boonen wearing them in a photo on Pez...

foofighter

by foofighter

Hmm, according the some people I've talked to the new speedplay versions, which are called the S1, will have the sliding T-Nuts and will be out this spring.

Also, the new size chart implies the new sizes are 2-3 sizes off from before not just one:

http://www.bont.com/cycling/pages/size.html

Nemesis1

by Nemesis1

These shoes are great and there are a lot of pro riders in the peloton now using them.

In terms of ventilation, they have 40 holes in the upper along with a gill system in the arch to aid ventilation. The shoes are being used in Oz in pretty high temperatures with no problem at all.

In terms of the comment from the person in comparison to Lake, Lake is not even close to these shoes, A country mile apart as well as the person being misinformed about them being made too much like skate boots. Bont shoes have been designed with in conjunction with some of the best riders in the world both on track and road and have been reengineered totally for cycling. Have a look at the like of Wiggens, Boonen, Hoy, Henderson, Rogers and countless others who have shifted from other shoes to Bont including shifting away from Lake. Surely if some of the best riders around are wearing them, there must be something to them.

They now also have a full line including entry level shoes that are heat moldable (yes, an entry level road shoe that is priced at entry level, is sub 300 grams and is heat moldable). The top of the line shoes are sub250grams from what I know, which is lighter then any Lake, Shimano, etc shoe is. If you look around you will also find that they have a speedplay shoe coming out, but with their existing 3.6mm stack height, even with adaptors they will still be lower then anything else. By the way, anyone that may have seen these guys at Interbike will also know they have a 160gram ultralight shoe coming out that has no weight limit.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I just bought the Bont A2 shoes today. Molding was easy. I have been on the Shimano R300 and M300 for two years so I am excited to see how these compare. Initial impressions are favorable. I bought these at Banning's Bikes in Fullerton CA if anyone local is interested.

On a side note, I also bought a pair of 2XU compression socks only to get home and take a used pair of Castelli socks out of the box! Not really worth the $49, ha! I'll have to take them back.
Attachments
IMG_3123c.jpg
IMG_3124c.jpg

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

djconnel wrote:I'll comment on the holes: Kevin @ Bike Nüt recommends buying the shoes undrilled and drilling your own holes to allow for cleat position adjustment. The 2010 Bont shoes have a wide flat platform on the bottom of the show well suited for Speedplay pedals. The older soles were shaped differently.

He also recommends special ordering loops in all three straps if you're going for the no-buckle shoes. This allows for superior tightening of the upper strap. I'm not sure the weight penalty, or if the weight savings relative to the buckle are lost.

There is also another option for ordering Bont shoes. You can special order them with no velcro straps and no buckles. Instead you can special order lace-up shoes that have a "cover" which goes over the laces and velcros down. I have a set on special order right now and awaiting their delivery. They would look similar to this shoe:

Bont will have an ultra-light climbing shoe later this year to go alongside the A1 which will feature the lace-ups as a standard feature to save additional weight.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

djconnel wrote:Kevin @ Bike Nüt He also recommends special ordering loops in all three straps if you're going for the no-buckle shoes. This allows for superior tightening of the upper strap. I'm not sure the weight penalty, or if the weight savings relative to the buckle are lost.

With regard to the three velcro strap version: Can't find any pictures of the 'inside' side view, iow, where the loops are. The third/upper velcro strap does not have a loop? I could see how that wouldn't tighten as properly. Another option is the Bont T1. It's the track version; it has laces and one upper velcro strap, same claimed weight as the 3-strap shoe: 225g.

But those rumors sound good also. Adjustable Speedplay version and a 160g überlight shoe. Decisions, decisions.
I love you guys. Seriously.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how exactly do you go about molding the soles? I have a few pairs of the Shimano heat mold-able shoes, but I'm not familiar with the process for the Bonts. Anybody have a video or pics?

Edit: Found this. http://www.bont.com/cycling/heatmold/mold.htm

Sherpa

by Sherpa

How can someone like the look of this shoes????

Oh, "Boonen has them so they must be good", "I've to get 3 pairs!!!"

Come on guys... grow up

This shoes are hideous. If all the pros started biking with skate sneakers I bet you'd all do the same...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Sherpa wrote:How can someone like the look of this shoes????

Oh, "Boonen has them so they must be good", "I've to get 3 pairs!!!"

Come on guys... grow up

This shoes are hideous. If all the pros started biking with skate sneakers I bet you'd all do the same...

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one." :roll: