Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Still waiting for my Vaypors to arrive. They were shipped out on Oct. 5, coming from the UK to Canada. So I expect them this week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guy

by Guy

danbjpa wrote:Another doubt. I noticed that I'm having problem with Bont to 'toe overlap', the cleats are all forward. With my Sidis no had this problem, even my frame being an XS.
This can be considered 'normal', since the shoes are the most spacious in the front and have rubber protective in tip? With you it occurs, or is a great indication of the shoes are big?
By this fact and by can lift the toes on the front of the shoes is that I think the shoes are a bit big for me. I am thinking seriously about buying a 38. :?

Are your cleats in the correct position? I had to re-drill the sole because the stock position was too far back (meaning my foot was too far forward).

If you think the shoes are a bit too big have you tried baking them yet? You can actually get the uppers to be a little tighter - keep the straps undone as the shoe cools.

Krackor

by Krackor

I tried to get the A-twos to work for me this summer. I started with a pair of size 45 in June, which were a bit too much volume for my foot. After about two months of waiting (and riding with volume-filling insoles in the 45s) my shop received the 44.5s they ordered for me. These turned out to be too narrow in the toe box and too short. I guess I'm just in the uncomfortable middle ground between sizes for these shoes. Maybe they work better for taller-arched feet.

I have a pair of Northwave Extreme Tech in size 45 on the way next week.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

My Vaypors have arrived. I had to pay an extra $101 CDN in custom's fees (ouch!).

They are a size 46 Wide. I tried them on, with a pair of cycling socks on, and found that the left shoe fits fine; but the right shoe feels a little snug against my right middle toe. Almost as if my toe is being pushed back a little and pressed up against the upper.

Before trying them on this evening I was at the gym and did a run on the treadmill as well as used the leg press, so perhaps my feet are a little swollen. I'll try the Bonts on again tomorrow after my feet have time to rest and see how they fit. If it's still tight on the right foot then I'll have to send them back and get a half size bigger (46.5 Wide). Or I could try heat molding them to see if that gives my right foot some more room. Although I'm afraid if I do that I might not be able to exchange them.
Attachments
The box.
The box.
Bont2.jpg
Bont3.jpg
Handy carrying case to store them in.
Handy carrying case to store them in.
Last edited by jspaceman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph

by ph

Last time I posted, I was still trying to figure out which size worked for me. In the end, I found 42.5 Vaypors worked with my esoles. Heel fit out of the box seemed close enough to heat mold.

It has also taken a while to shape the shoe around my flatish low volume feet but I think I'm 95% of the way there. It still get a kick out of how the uppers and carbon sole can be reshaped. I had to lower the arches, shape the heel fit and make room for the 6th toe area. I found I had to lower my saddle a couple of mm. I would describe the fit now as business like - not plush but precise with a super solid sole. For me, the tension on the ratchet needs to be set just right because this controls how far back my foot sits in the shoe and the pressure on the sides, etc. I could see thick winter socks being a challenge.

I have the 3 hole version and use the speedplay adapter. I can't seem to get the speedplay cleat perfectly flat but it seems to work (well) enough. As someone who dreaded changing cleats (for fear of not being able to replicate the position), I have now gotten over this due to the number of times I have re-molded my shoes.

Geoff

by Geoff

@jspaceman, do you have Morton's toe?

LouisN

by LouisN

My second toes are longer than my big toes. On my longer foot, I had to put some hard felt (like the one you put under the chairs's legs) over them, and two pairs of sock to "stretch" it during heatmolding (actually, I think it's more like widening the upper part of the carbon "tub", not really stretching like heat molding a plastic downhill skiboot for example). It took five different tries to achieve perfect fit on my longer (and also the one that has the most "imperfections")foot .

Louis :)

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Geoff wrote:@jspaceman, do you have Morton's toe?

I've never heard of that before until now. Hmm, not sure. My middle toes on both feet are longer than the big toe. As far as I know they've always been like that. I just assumed it was hereditary.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Guy wrote:
Are your cleats in the correct position? I had to re-drill the sole because the stock position was too far back (meaning my foot was too far forward).

If you think the shoes are a bit too big have you tried baking them yet? You can actually get the uppers to be a little tighter - keep the straps undone as the shoe cools.

Hi Guy!
I put the cleats as much forward. Did not want to bake the shoes for it all (toe overlap + space above the toes + t-nut rotation) made ​​me feel better to buy another pair of shoes smaller (size 38). I received yesterday! Only 3g less than size 39. They were fairer and now just need to bake for fine adjustments, but when I install the cleats, I had the same disappointment with the problem of rotating nut. That unlucky!

I spoke with the Bont about the problem of my shoes size 39 and they said they will send me another pair (between 2-3 weeks, but that's okay). I am impatient to do the same process (pay to ship the defective shoes + expect they send a new pair + to pay customs tax(?)) with my new pair size 38. Wanted a solution without having to send the shoes to warranty and wait another (unless they send me a pair of Vaypor). How do you 'stuck' nut when re-drill the sole?

Does anyone have an idea? :noidea:

Guy

by Guy

danbjpa wrote:
Guy wrote: How do you 'stuck' nut when re-drill the sole?

To remove the nuts, partially screw a cleat bolt directly into the sole. Tap with a hammer and it will push through into the shoe.

If you want to redrill, use a 6mm bit.

The cleat nuts have 3 'prongs' that should bite into the sole inner as you tighten the cleat bolts. However, sometimes they are not machined correctly and the prong is flat - this means they keep slipping when you tighten. If this is the case, I would ask Bont for a replacement, free of charge.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

hmm, I thought about putting superglue 'loctite' in the t-nut.
In the moment I only pressed strongly the two screws of the cleat since the third does not do. I hope the cleat does not move during cycling. I hope it works.
I'm beginning to think that shoes Bont do not like me! lol

Guy

by Guy

danbjpa wrote:hmm, I thought about putting superglue 'loctite' in the t-nut.

Tighten the other 2 nuts first. You might be able to nip the third one to an acceptable force. Loctite won't fully hold it however (although I suppose it depends what strength you use).

I have the same issue - the third nut does not fully bite but the cleats seem to be OK.

I'm not sure Bonts like me either! I'm constantly moving the cleats to get comfortable and get numb toes despite having enough room in the shoe. They feel great off the bike - no tightness, rubbing or hotspots. But I can't see myself sticking with them for much longer.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

Hey everyone,

Looking for a little help here. I searched the forum and didn't find what I was searching for so here is my issue. Just recently bought some Bont Vaypors from their website because they were on sale so I figured it was worth a shot. I got the shoes and heat molded them and then attached my pedal cleat (Look version). After riding the shoes for about a month I noticed I was having some pain in my foot. I took the insole out and noticed that due to the thinness of the carbon sole that Bont uses the screws (standard cleat screws that come with Look cleats) were actually protruding through into my foot, and thus causing my discomfort. I was going to remove them and grind them down so they were flush but here is where my problem arose.

After trying to loosen the screws they would not come out, rather the entire metal insert in the carbon sole that the screws go into started spinning in the sole. So now I am stuck trying to remove the pedal cleats and four of the six screws will not come out. I contacted Bont and they told me that if I pay for shipping each way they would fix them, but I am in the eastern US and would have to ship the shoes to China. That is roughly $60 each way. So before I am out $120, does anyone know how I can:

-Get the current screws out
-Re-affix the inserts in the shoes so they don't spin anymore
-Put the new screws in without breaking them loose again

Aside from the pain of the screw in my foot, the shoes were very comfortable an I would like to use them again. I apologize for the rather long message, but any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

spud

by spud

I would try removing the insole, then notching the outer diameter of each flange nut with a small drill bit, or perhaps hitting it on edge with a small screw driver Then you have something you can engage with a pin tool or similar device. Also, lube the threads with liquid wrench or some such lubricant.

Once apart, I would pot the flange nuts with heavy epoxy to keep them from rotating next time

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I am going to try some speedplay pedals to replace my Look keo2 max pedals. I have noticed a few time that the front bumper catches the pedal and I have trouble clipping in fast. With the cleat placement forward there is little room. Well I am using this as an excuse to buy new pedals.

Anyways what is the best mounting method on the new vaypors for speedplay cleats. Should I just use the adaptor plate and be done or should I drill new holes and use the metal carbon sole protector plate and new t nuts for a straight on 4 hole attachment.

I also plan to get some ward Ti spindles in size 56mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com