Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stefano

by Stefano

In response to the sizing issue, I had the same problem- usually a 45 in other brands (45 spec, 45 DMT, 45.5 Sidi) but the wizard gave me a 44. I decided to go up a half size just to be sure, and it turns out my right toe actually was still rubbing on the front of the shoe. A little heat moulding and patience fixed it, and now they're beyond perfect, but I still think I could have gone with the 45 and maybe even have been happier.

My advice for the measuring is instead of doing what Bont says and measuring by putting the back of your heel against the wall and measuring out, I think that you should trace your foot and just use that measurement + 1-1.5 cm ish. The reason for this is that because everyone has different heel curvature, if you measure against the wall, for a given sole length, if you have different heel curvature than what bont's "average" length allowance for that is, then you will end up with a sub-optimal fit. For example, my heel protrudes a little less than average, so even though my foot length looks like it should be a 44 to them, my sole fits the 45 length better, and then I can just mould the back down around my thinner heel.

Hope this makes sense,

Stefano

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

My take on this, having tried 3 different sizes of Bonts, is that for any given size they are slightly wider (and/or higher volume) than most brands (and definitely wider than the likes of Sidi) but a little shorter than most.

So for me, the Bont calculator gave me a 44.5 standard but actually a 45 (which is what I wear in Shimano and Specialized) is the correct fit because of my wider feet and the short but wide fit of the Bont.

Cheers
GJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Anyone with Bont shoeas please advise me!!

K, got my Bont A-1's today in the post. Tried them on after much wrestling and taking out my ortho insoles put the thin Bont ones back in then getting my thinnest socks on I am finally in the shoe but boy am I gonna survive the first ride?????

Just wondering.....since this is a heat mouldable shoe should I actually try and heat mould it to my feet to get a proper fit? Is that the proper course of action or the shoe should fit good and the heat moulding is just the last couple %-age of comfort added? Or should I just return it now?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, the shoe insole and advertisement both said 12.5 but when the insole is taken out there is an 11.5 written inside both shoes. The Bont website says I need a 12.5 standard width so I should fit but maybe the wrong insoles were fitted to the shoes?

Ta, Mik.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Danza

by Danza

The actual sole material (in my case carbon/glass weave) was marked on my pair IIRC. The number written down matched the ordered size so you may want to confirm you received the correct size.

I find my Bonts pretty comfortable over all (have one hot/sharp spot I need to mold out), but they were extremely uncomfortable prior to molding. Additionally they seem extremely uncomfortable when you put them on your feet on flat ground, they are better on the bike.

Geoff

by Geoff

Everybody is diffent, but I have to say that my experience with the manufacturer's sizing instruction is similar.

I found that the shoe does not fit a Morton's toe well. If you have that sort of foot, you may not be able to fit the shoe. If you are having that much trouble getting the shoe on, it is not going to get better by heat-moulding it. I would size-up, if I were you.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Mikmik wrote:Also, the shoe insole and advertisement both said 12.5 but when the insole is taken out there is an 11.5 written inside both shoes. The Bont website says I need a 12.5 standard width so I should fit but maybe the wrong insoles were fitted to the shoes?

Ha! I had the same mistake with a pair I ordered. They were much smaller than they should have been as a result. Definitely a screw up somewhere.
formerly rruff...

Mikmik

by Mikmik

This is what the seller said to me via email, does this sound correct?????? Just to re-say it I ordered 12.5 and when I opened my package 12.5 was written on the inner sole but under the inner sole written onto the heal part of the shoe was 11.5.

"Bont re-did their sizing some time ago and an 11.5 is now a 12.5. So you have a current 12.5 which is the right sizing. The 11.5 under the innersole refers to the old size system which has not been in use for well over a year. Bont shoes are quite tight to the foot and not all innersoles will fit. Bont purposely uses a very thin innersole in order to get your foot as close to the pedal as possible. Thanks"
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Doesn't sound right. The shoe I had was an A3 from Excel, and I think I ordered a 43.5 and 8.5 was written inside (should have been 9.5). Super tight. I ordered a 44.5 and 10.5 was written inside... too big.

I then bought some older A1s on ebay in size 44. 10 is written inside and they fit fine.
formerly rruff...

RussellS

by RussellS

"This is what the seller said to me via email, does this sound correct?????? Just to re-say it I ordered 12.5 and when I opened my package 12.5 was written on the inner sole but under the inner sole written onto the heal part of the shoe was 11.5.

"Bont re-did their sizing some time ago and an 11.5 is now a 12.5. So you have a current 12.5 which is the right sizing. The 11.5 under the innersole refers to the old size system which has not been in use for well over a year. Bont shoes are quite tight to the foot and not all innersoles will fit. Bont purposely uses a very thin innersole in order to get your foot as close to the pedal as possible. Thanks""

"Doesn't sound right. The shoe I had was an A3 from Excel, and I think I ordered a 43.5 and 8.5 was written inside (should have been 9.5). Super tight. I ordered a 44.5 and 10.5 was written inside... too big.

I then bought some older A1s on ebay in size 44. 10 is written inside and they fit fine."

What the F--- is up with this Bont shoe sizing? Ideally everyone would have a local bike shop that carries every Bont shoe in every size you want. And you would go to the local bike shop and try the shoes on to find the one that fits you. And the price would be the same as the internet and there would be no sales tax. Ideally. But for those ordering Bont shoes over the internet, are you supposed to guess your size AND then order ten shoes in the sizes above and ten shoes in the sizes below? And hope one of the 21 pairs of shoes fits? I think this Bont company needs to hire a shoe consultant to create sizes that match all the other shoes in the world.

I have Carnac and Pearl Izumi road shoes. Carnac mountain shoes. Lake and Shimano sandals. All size 44. All fit me perfectly. So I know there is standard shoe sizing in the world.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

This appears to be a screw up somewhere in the supply chain... shoes labeled incorrectly.

Bont shoes are sized about like others IME. All shoes have a slightly different fit.
formerly rruff...

hubert222

by hubert222

Anyone have experience on Bont zero ?
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

tk2306

by tk2306

hubert222 wrote:Anyone have experience on Bont zero ?

I have a pair bought from a fellow weight weenie as well as a pair of vaypors. I actually prefer my zeros the fit feels better however i feel the sole is less stiff. It is not noticeable while riding but when walking i can feel the cleat flexing the shoe very slightly which does not happen with the vaypors. Also the zeros carbon bathtub seems to be more easily molded. Great shoes! :thumbup:

P.S.
If you ride bit km's the zeros are probably not going to last you long as the upper material is rather fragile and has no toe bumper. I generally use mine for races only now.

jano

by jano

mitchgixer6 wrote:I managed to get a decent deal on a pair of Vaypor from my local bike shop last week wanting to try out the correct size. Turns out I need the wide version as the carbon 'bathtub' was pinching the outside of my foot.

So selling an as new pair of Vaypor in white leather used for one 50 mile ride. Still trying to get my post count up so can't put them on the for sale section. Please message me for more info.

Hi Mitch,
it would be great to share at least what size the shoes are.
Cheers,
Jano

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

Long time lurker, first time poster, be kind to me.

I am looking for a new pair of road shoes to replace my Sidis. I have wide feet and after a long search I have narrowed the choices to Bont Vaypor(or Vaypor+) or Lake CX331. If you were buying Vaypors at this moment would you spend the extra 30euros to get the Vaypor+? I really dont have experience in the BOA-style closing method, but I have read a lot of good things about it. I will be using the shoes with Speedplay pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Hi mate.
I've got a pair of 2012 S-Works (the older style) with BOA dials, and also 2012 Bont Vaypor with the standard strap and ratchet.
One of the blokes I ride with has the 2013 S-Works and the 2013 Vapor + (the ones with ATOP dials) and he reckons that BOA on the S-Works is heaps better than the ATOP on his Vapor+.
I personally can't comment as I've only got the older BOA, tho saying that, they're awesome, and to be honest, so are the strap and ratchet system on my Bonts.
I would personally save the 30 euro, buy the Vaypors, or buy the Vaypors and spend the other 30 euros on some more bike goodies :)
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.