HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: wipperman ti chain
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:50 am
Posts: 17
Location: pittsburgh, PA
what does it really weigh, 235 or 259, I know what is listed on this sight but its hard for me to believe a ti chain weighs about as much as a steel chain, any other weigh quotes other than the single sample reported on this page? theories? Because for my money the campy ultra drive ul @ 259 grams is a lot cheaper?

Brent

_________________
El Mahone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: wipperman ti chain
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:56 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Titanium chanis
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:41 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Mexico USA
I understand that Ti chains are not all titanium--that actually the rollers and pins are ti, and the plates are steel. This explains (at least to me) why they do not weigh all much less than hollow-pin and drilled-plate steel chains like my Campy Ultra 10 (which weighs about 260gms on my bike.)
I stand to be corrected, or course.
cheers,

_________________
dr Phil Gandini
Link to my 11.5lb Neo Ultimate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:50 am
Posts: 17
Location: pittsburgh, PA
Second question? Do you think I could use a campy 10 speed chain on my shimano 9 speed set up or would there be significant problems?

_________________
El Mahone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
Quote:
Do you think I could use a campy 10 speed chain on my shimano 9 speed set up

Yes you can.

Quote:
what does it really weigh, 235 or 259

Mine is about 250g. Not quite sure how many links I have in it but I ride 53*25 so it is pretty long (I guess 112 or 114 links)

It is a very nice chain, and the craftmanship that goes into it is probably better than any other chain on the market, however I dont think it is worth its price. My next chain is gonna be Campagnolo Record Ultra.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:22 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Westerville, Ohio USA
I'm happy with my SRAM PC-99R hollow pin @ 256.5g (shortened by a few links from stock 114 pin OE length.) I ride 50*26 for the record.

I really wanted a PC-89R hollow pin, but got a great deal on the 99R hollow pin, and it works flawlessly. Best of all it only cost me ~ $28.00 shipped from Nashbar (using a 10% web coupon code.)

I'd like to try a PC-89R hollow pin in the future, as the stock weight is less than the PC-99R hollow pin to begin with. But again, the 99R HP is a fantastic chain... light, strong, cheap.

Jim

_________________
PICS http://public.fotki.com/mackdaddy
16.6lbs Light enough for now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:51 am
Posts: 193
MackDaddy wrote:
I'm happy with my SRAM PC-99R hollow pin @ 256.5g (shortened by a few links from stock 114 pin OE length.) I ride 50*26 for the record.

I really wanted a PC-89R hollow pin, but got a great deal on the 99R hollow pin, and it works flawlessly. Best of all it only cost me ~ $28.00 shipped from Nashbar (using a 10% web coupon code.)

I'd like to try a PC-89R hollow pin in the future, as the stock weight is less than the PC-99R hollow pin to begin with. But again, the 99R HP is a fantastic chain... light, strong, cheap.

Jim


did you really mean 99R - is there really a roadversion of the pc99 (the R-versions have those funny drilled-out plates)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:22 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Westerville, Ohio USA
teutscher wrote:
MackDaddy wrote:
I'm happy with my SRAM PC-99R hollow pin @ 256.5g (shortened by a few links from stock 114 pin OE length.) I ride 50*26 for the record.

I really wanted a PC-89R hollow pin, but got a great deal on the 99R hollow pin, and it works flawlessly. Best of all it only cost me ~ $28.00 shipped from Nashbar (using a 10% web coupon code.)

I'd like to try a PC-89R hollow pin in the future, as the stock weight is less than the PC-99R hollow pin to begin with. But again, the 99R HP is a fantastic chain... light, strong, cheap.

Jim


did you really mean 99R - is there really a roadversion of the pc99 (the R-versions have those funny drilled-out plates)


No, Ive got a PC-99R hollow pin. From what I can tell, it's designed for MB use and has slightly wider link plates (by .1mm) It has hollow pins, not plates.

Like I said, it works fine on my rig, and it didn't cost a grip!

_________________
PICS http://public.fotki.com/mackdaddy
16.6lbs Light enough for now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 338
Hi it depends on witch bike you put it.For example I put the Ti. chain on my TCR composite and to short it about 7 links so after that it weights 240grs.If you use it with 114 links it´s a little heavier.......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Central USA
I'm running the hollowed out Campy 10 chain on my Shimano 9 speed mountain bike. Cog thickness is within .03mm so I had no concerns in that regard before I installed it. After installation I have had no noticiable shifting issues either.

Cut to 106 links it runs about 240 grams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: wipperman ti chain
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am
Posts: 1011
Mahoney wrote:
what does it really weigh, 235 or 259, I know what is listed on this sight but its hard for me to believe a ti chain weighs about as much as a steel chain, any other weigh quotes other than the single sample reported on this page? theories? Because for my money the campy ultra drive ul @ 259 grams is a lot cheaper?

Brent


I've never tried this chain but have heard repeatedly that the lifespan is about 1000 kilometers. :(

That would mean premature chain stretch, which also will wear your cogs and rings faster. Not only are other chains about 10 times cheaper (and almost as light), they will last longer and wont require you to change any cogs too early. Try to save 20grams elsewhere, in other words!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
Quote:
I've never tried this chain but have heard repeatedly that the lifespan is about 1000 kilometers

Dont know where you have heard this, but it is defnitively not true. Perhaps you are mixing it up with that old all titanium Viking chain???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am
Posts: 1011
Villadsen wrote:
Quote:
I've never tried this chain but have heard repeatedly that the lifespan is about 1000 kilometers

Dont know where you have heard this, but it is defnitively not true. Perhaps you are mixing it up with that old all titanium Viking chain???


I assume you're speaking from experience? If you're saying you can get a standard chain lifespan from this chain that will be the first time I've heard someone claim that. Not only have I heard a low lifespan for this chain I've heard they shift crappy too. Either way, can you justify spending $300 bucks for a chain that's about 20g lighter, if at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:22 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Westerville, Ohio USA
bobalou wrote:
Either way, can you justify spending $300 bucks for a chain that's about 20g lighter, if at all?


I know I won't. 8)

_________________
PICS http://public.fotki.com/mackdaddy
16.6lbs Light enough for now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
Quote:
I assume you're speaking from experience?

Yea, I do.
Quote:
you're saying you can get a standard chain lifespan from this chain that will be the first time I've heard someone claim that

Well I do. How many did you talk to who actually has this chain? The main parts are made out of steel just like any other Wippermann. I cant see why it would last any shorter than an ordinary chain.
Quote:
I've heard they shift crappy too
I shifts just as good as any other Wippermann chain.
Quote:
Either way, can you justify spending $300 bucks for a chain that's about 20g lighter, if at all?

Read my first post a bit further up. Then you will know the answer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:32 pm
Posts: 1259
Location: the Netherlands
2500 km so far and still not gone. Guess cleaning it properly is essential (weight is 247.3 in a 13-26 setup).
Guess lifespan is as good (or bad) as a normal Campa hollowpin chain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:03 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MNX1024, trex021 and 67 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Red '12 10 spd grp + Red '13 11 spd RH STI + chain + cass.

in Road

dmoneysworks

5

1017

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 am

dmoneysworks View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Your favorite chain tool

in Road

TheDoc

13

795

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 pm

sugarkane View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New chain length difference

in Road

pdlpsher1

2

468

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 am

pdlpsher1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. SR11 chain drop

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

cshiells

24

1754

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 am

Causidicus View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. YBN SFL-210 Chain Real Cut Weight

in Road

drainyoo

4

374

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:30 pm

drainyoo View the latest post


It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB