HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Light weight road bike
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:25 am 

dear all,

although have been a regular on the WW site, am new to the forum. it's good to know that there are others who share the gram counting!

I am after some input from you more experienced weenies...

Am putting together a light weight road bike - at the moment on paper it's at about 6.1 kg

I am looking for where I can cut some more weight. As a heavier rider (85kg), I intend to use the bike for training and racing. FYI I am NOT using and will not use carbon bars or stem (am terrified of them breaking on me), or seat post (after bad experience with carbon Alien).

Has anyone used carbon chainrings - have noticed them on a few sites and they look SEXY and interesting....

Has anyone used Transfil cable outers? Supposedly 50g lighter than Shimano / Campy outers. Am currently using Nokon and although they look awesome they are CRAP as they corroded very quickly. A lot of money to rust before your eyes!

Any input appreciated!

:lol:

Post subject: Light weight road bike
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:25 am 

Post subject: Lightweight bike
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:20 am 

Wow big fellow.

I would love to see your list for your "bike build" to get to 6.1kg for a big guy.

I have to agree on the Nokon cables, paid a fortune for a limited edition Gold coloured set, and they already look terrible after only a few months! But I must add, the shifting is great. (Anybody with tips to prevent further / future corrosion problems).

Carbon cranks are GREAT! I have a set of Campy Chorus cranks, and I cant feel any loss of power or stiffness from my previous aluminium cranks.

Everybody seems to be riding FSA Carbon cranks, but there's plenty around. If you have really deep pockets, you can wait for the new cranks/bb from THM-Carbones, called the Clavicula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:58 pm 

I think if you're using the bike for training that carbon rings are not a good choice as you won't get long life out of them. That hopefully will change soon as I understand some Mfr's are experimenting with carbon rings (with alloy teeth on the outer edge).

I understand your hesitance to use carbon bars, stem or post .. but I think you'll find many that trust them for many miles of reliable use. And they'll provide noticable vibration damping and weight savings. I'm almost your weight at 80-82kg and I've got many, many thousands of rough road miles on carbon bars and posts (but never tried a carbon stem). Just use the carbon bars or posts that have the best reputation and you'll be fine IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:03 am 

fester,

when it's complete I will post the list, it's in the bike shop as we speak

briefly - orbea orca frameset, am classic 420 wheels, zero gravity brakes, stronglight pulsion cranks, extralite stem and seat post, keywin ti pedals are the major highlights I suppose

carbon cranks I have no problem with - am interested in the chainrings though i do agree that perhaps after some more R&D they may be an option.

had an alien carbon seat post and although it was incredibly light I got sick of adjusting it every week as the damn thing kept slipping!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:44 pm 

for seatposts, there is the Thomson Masterpiece. another alternative is Bold Precision. I wouldn't go with the light version, but the standard version is already damn light. very expensive, though: www.boldprecision.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:18 am 

bobalou wrote:
I understand your hesitance to use carbon bars, stem or post .. but I think you'll find many that trust them for many miles of reliable use. And they'll provide noticable vibration damping and weight savings. I'm almost your weight at 80-82kg and I've got many, many thousands of rough road miles on carbon bars and posts (but never tried a carbon stem). Just use the carbon bars or posts that have the best reputation and you'll be fine IMHO.

I agree. It is not as though the full body weight goes through the stem and bars, but relates to the force applied during sprinting / climbing etc. (as compared to the seatpost, which does take direct weight.)
If carbon is OK for Ullrich, the way he attacks the bars, then it's OK for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:50 pm 

weiwentg wrote:
for seatposts, there is the Thomson Masterpiece. another alternative is Bold Precision. I wouldn't go with the light version, but the standard version is already damn light. very expensive, though: www.boldprecision.com.

I've got a masterpiece seatpost.....love it. From what I understand they haven't given it a weight limit (I'm sure theoretically there is someone out there big enough to crush it but those people probably aren't into cycling). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:38 am 

Doesn't Ullrich use aluminum bars. I have a mag pic of him next to me hear. Looks like he has Deda Newton Bars. I thought they were Al alloy? Maybe I'm wrong, and they are carbon, but I thought they were Aluminum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:53 am 

from my understanding Deda Newton are aluminium bars

fiurthermore regarding the Thomson Elite, if you need longer posts (eg 300 mm if on a compact or semi-compact frame) they are either not available or cease to lose their low weight value :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm 

jbhowat wrote:
Doesn't Ullrich use aluminum bars. I have a mag pic of him next to me hear. Looks like he has Deda Newton Bars. I thought they were Al alloy? Maybe I'm wrong, and they are carbon, but I thought they were Aluminum?

The Schmolke site have listed Ullrich as using their bars - I am however open to correction from those who know more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:06 pm 

May be Ulle uses Smolke bars in climbing bike and something team sponsor bars in his normal bike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:18 pm 

Yeah probably... I'm not doubting that carbon bars aren't strong enough for him. If you look on the Deda site, they list the Deda bars as being used by Deutsch Telekom. I know its TMobile now, BUT I've got a picture right here from VeloNews and he's got a Newton. It seems A LOT of riders use the Newton, and I don't hear it talked about very much here, I'm going to look into price - etc. I'm not as much of a weight weenie and a lot of you (I ride an Al bike, for example - mostly because of price, but my next bike will be Aluminum as well, and will cost as much as most carbon bikes...). Look through the race pictures in Velonews, almost every rider you see their handle bars have those little blue designs of the Deda Newton.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:05 pm 

Easton Carbon in the 31.8 size, they are stonger then any lightwight Al Bar. You say you are afraid of the carbon stuff for handle bar stem...well I say you should be afraid of the light al bars.

All of the racers around here light or big, replace al bar every season because they are always breaking.

The Eason stuff is freaking strong and wicked light, especiallly in new 90 equipes in the larger diameter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:12 pm 

I don't trust the Carbon Seat posts...they brake all the time around here. I think it has to do with the clamps and such...if you could get a great fit from your frame and never adjust then they are probably great...but who never changes their seat height or has a great fit with their seat post binder?

Stems, I don't have any experience with...the smaller stems with the carbon tube bonded to al lugs look scarry. The larger ones that are coming out that are 1 piece with a ton of shaping look much better, but i have not experience with them. I would stick with a quality AL one for now.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:11 pm 

I have an Easton EC90 31.8mm bar. Seems stiff as can be, stiffer than my aluminum bar that I replaced. I'm a light weight rider so I don't really think about crushing my components really.

When You're talking about material properties consider carbon and aluminum.

Aluminum (metals) - Take a paperclip and bend it back and forth over and over. Eventually it will snap. You are plasticly deforming the paperclip until ultimatly it reaches the end of it's fatigue life.

Now think about a similar peice of carbon/epoxy composite. Bend it once and it's pretty much done for.

Aluminum bars may bend but you can probably keep your bike on the road. If a carbon bar fails....look out.

BUT, Easton sends an advisory with their components that they should be replaced after a given amount of time (usually several years). So I belive they are trying to account for the fatigue life of their components. With that said lightweights like me could probably ride on them for a long time past the replacement date but a big guy may want to seriously consider replacing them by the date.

Go to page 1, 2  Next