Next year's bike - Look 585

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rico

by rico

I've just ordered my Look 585. The LBS already have a frame in stock, but it's a 55cm - two sizes too big for me.

The LBS say they have weighed this 55cm frame and the highest reading they have from the scales is 873g - quite a long way under Look's claimed 990g for a 53cm. I wasn't there when they did it, but I do trust my LBS...

Based on this, with Look's claimed weight as an alternative, here's how next year's bike is shaping up. Finances will dictate whether I strip the 10sp DA from my C50 for this, or get a new build up:

Frame: Look 585 nude carbon, 51cm 873g
(actually LBS claimed weight for 55cm frame)

(at Look claimed weight for 53cm frame: 990g)

Fork: Look HSC5 299g

Groupset: Dura Ace 10v:
Rear Mech 181g
Front Mech 83g
Cassette (11/21) 168g
Crankset (incl BB) 740g
Shifters 419g
Brakes 314g
Chain: 274g
Wheels: Lightweight 20/20 1250g
QRs: USE Spinstix 55g
Bars: Deda 215 shallow strada 42cm 230g
Tape: Silva white 40g
Stem: Deda Newton 120cm 150g
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR 140g
Tyres: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubular 19mm 230g x2
Pedals: Shimano Dura Ace SPD-SL 280g
Seatpost: USE Alien Carbon (27.2mm/350mm) 150g (cut)
Cages: Tacx Tao 37g (x2)
1xLook carbon spacer and cap 10g
cables: Shimano SIS 150g (?)
Glue, air, other 50g

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL 6390g
(at Look claimed weight for 53cm frame 6507g)

Very grateful for suggestions, or pointings-out of things that I have completely forgotten about ( :oops: ). DA10v is the preference because of compatibility issues with other wheelsets, and because...I just like it. I might think about Record with DA or other BB and crankset, though.

Certain other things (like the bars, stem, saddle and cages) I know could be much lighter, but I have picked them because I know them, like using them and find them reliable. This is a race bike.

Many thanks

rico
Last edited by rico on Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddyboy

by buddyboy

Rico
What did you make of the C+ article?

I had a very brief ride of one and liked it
I was surprised it only scored 8/10 in the mag test

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

buddyboy

by buddyboy

Rico

I am intrigued
Last I heard you were getting a pair of 2005 Carbones
What is going to happen to them and the (bare) C-50?

rico

by rico

Bud -

The Carbones are on my old C40, aimed at flatter races.

If I strip the C50 I would probably sell the frame, although I am getting on well with it now...

I can't find the C+ review of the 585. I'll try and buy a copy later. Do you know what they didn't like about it?

thanks

rico

buddyboy

by buddyboy

Its in this months mag -came out on Monday

It’s the usual short 2 page review – I hate the way they give marks for a full bike (including wheels and components ) when you are just buying the frameset and can pick and choose!

It got 8/10 for frame
9/10 handling
7/10 comfort

8/10 for the whole package

The reviewer seemed to like it – just did not rave about it as much as I expected
A while ago they gave a C-50 a 9/10 so in essence you are going downhill (!)
Only joking !

Interestingly they are reviewing a Storck 1.1 next month so at least I will have something to compare it against

Am sure the Euro mags will have 8-10 page spreads on the 585 which will be far more detailed

Congrats – I rode it for only 20 mins but I liked it very much
Felt v smooth and accelerated well
When are you expecting delivery?

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Few errors in your list:

-Vittoria tubulars are close to 280g, not 230g.
-Lightweights weight closer to (20/20) 1150g, not 1250g. Older models were heavyer?

Look is nice choise. I personally think Scott and rest Asia products bit ugly. Colnago's and some traditional Look's look prettyer in my old yeys.

585+Record's+low profile carbon wheels....LW are best but something else for a change.

But this "Jala" would be nice on LW's!

That would drop my 6.8kg bike -600g from f+f,F99+Smolke bar ~-50g and new Time pedals -40g so bike would be closer to 6100g.

NS

by NS

I have been considering one of these amongst others including C50, BMC, Trek Madone SL. I'd be interested to know how it compares to the C40 as thats what I have at present and intend to train on and race early next season. Trouble is I am worried that except for the C50 the others will feel like a step back in performance.
Also I am disappointed that they only import the 585 to the UK in a rather bland black only.

rico

by rico

Bud -

Delivery expected 'within a month'. I think the 585s come in from Look to the UK in December anyway, but the LBS has ordered a 51cm especially for me.

Samu -

I agree with you about the appearance of the Scott, although I've never ridden one. There are other frames for the purist WWs, but I think the 585 is the nicest of the new breed of carbon compacts.

Incidentally, the WW listings have the Corsa CX 19mm tubs down as 230g. My Lightweights are 2003 vintage, with a standard Shimano hub, so my theory is they may be a bit heavier than the latest versions.

rico

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey Rico,

Your bike shop must have quoted you wrong.

Bicycling Magazine weighed a 55cm 585 and it weighed 1015g. Maybe he ment 973g?

rico

by rico

Hey SL -

Yeah mebbe, although I thought I heard pretty clearly. I might ask them to put it on the scales while I'm there...

I think I prefer the 'functional' look of the plain carbon to the red one.

rico

AMclassic-fan

by AMclassic-fan

I would go for other botlecages. Tacx TOA botlecagers are not very strong, i have seen so much broken toa's. I would go for Specialized Rib Cage Pro, they are much stronger. They have excactly the same weight, holds the bottles very well and is in the same price range.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Tao's, not toa's?

LW's+Record+THM crank/bb+Smolke bar+F99 stem+Ax-lightnes Phoenix seat/Europa post/brakes+Tufo tubulars+Tune cages 2X 9g/ti-cassette 142g/Q-releases 49g....~5.4kg AND 8500€!

Nice and pretty light for durable race bike....

rico

by rico

In defence of the Taos, I've been using them for almost three years now and have never had a problem. They feel much hardier than most carbon cages, and I'm about to go put them back on the C50 after two slightly unhappy months with Elite carbon Pataos.

The only thing is (like other cages) they can get permanently twisted if you're grabbing for a bottle on a very small or compact frame...

rico

King Weel

by King Weel

Seen on Bikemotion 04 in Utrecht, The Netherlands, this October and on Gypzybikz: Tacx Tao carbon; 29 grams, at 49,99. superstrong, reasonably light, great looks, works flawlessly (that means, the alu version :wink: ).http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&table=tblFlaschen&id=20
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

spin110

by spin110

Samu, that build you proposed looks great but tufos are out of place on such a nice bike. I could do much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com