HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:09 am 

Im building a bike. I have a complete Dura Ace Drivetrain(NineSpeed)-minus the shifters. I have been looking at buying a set of Campagnolo record 10's and using them instead. Has anyone here done this? I have found a couple of articles about it. Most say that you do, not need to use the shiftmate. To adjust it and then use the highlimit screw to lock 10th out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:36 am 

Hello Robjustice , well ,someone here in Luxembourg tols me that it wont work.However I would be very pleased about it if it could work , because I had the same idea :sorry: two years ago.So.........tell me if it works.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:36 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:37 pm 

I've never tried, but I seriously doubt that the increments for each cog would be the same as 9sp DA.

Get your hands on a pair of Campy 9sp shifters and it should work.

Post subject: It might work
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:46 pm 

Check this web site out (Harris Cyclery( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
It shows that the cogs and spacing of the Campy 10 and the Shimano 9 are the closest of any combination, so it might just work, especially if you are only using 9 gears. That said, I have tried using the 9 speed shimano cogs with some aftermarket al and ti sets with mixed success--individual cogs work (like 13, 14) but the smaller ones 11. 12 don't.
Still, you might be able to shave the spacers a little as required. The campy 10s Ultra chain works fine with individual Sh. cogs.

good luck,
philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:17 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. Heres the article that I have been reading where they did it, looks like Im going to try it. Check it out and let me know what you think. http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:26 pm 

Also the whole campag/shimano compatability has been discussed here :
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... C_ID=36442

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:07 pm 

Personal experience. I have mirage 9 shifters on my cross bike. I had a ultergra rear der. No matter what I did it wouldn't shift. I bought a centaur derailuer and it worked fine. It worked on Shimano and campy cogs no problem. I have no clue why the derailuer made a difference as it only goes where the controler sends it. I have record 10 on my road bike and have used a DA 10 rear wheel no problem. The 9 to 10 could be problematic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 pm 

I'm running Campy 10S shifters with an Ultegra derailleur and 9S shimano cassette. I had to modify the cable clamping in order to change the ratio of cable travel to derailleur swing. Google for Shimagnolo.

I imagine the 10S shifters with 10S dura-ace would require a less radical change in cable routing to accomplish the same result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:45 am 

marko wrote:
I have no clue why the derailuer made a difference as it only goes where the controler sends it. I have record 10 on my road bike and have used a DA 10 rear wheel no problem. The 9 to 10 could be problematic.

All rear ders will not just, I think, move by a set amount as dictated by the shifter, as campag and shimano ders (and it also probably varies with 5/6/7/8//10 sets) will have differing movements, ie shifter pulls 5mm cable and 1 der moves 7mm, same shifter but different rear der, 5mm cable pull results in 6mm der movement. So it's not as simple as it might seem !
I think the Sheldon and the Cycling Plus web pages are useful reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:22 am 

I've been using Shimano-style rear derailleurs (Precision Billet/Paul's) with Campag Record Ergo levers for some years. Firstly with 9-speed Ergo levers and an 8-speed Shimano cassette (works OK, but if the speed and accuracy of the shift is crucial, go for the matching Campy RD). More recently, I have applied the information found at:

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

with the help of Roberts Cycles in London, for my project bike:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3170&highlight=

The result is excellent shifting, though it's not as good as a dedicated system. I gave the new bike a solid three days of riding near the foothills of the Pyrenees a couple of weeks ago to snag any problems, and apart from a fractionally delayed shift everything lines up just fine

(NB the cassette I was using was a 9spd Cycle Dynamics Ti 12-23 with profiled teeth and ramps, Shimano-compatible)

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:42 pm 

search for "JTEK Shiftmate". with this little tool you can use 10s campa ergos with shimano rear derailleur and cassette or campa rear derailleur with shimano cassette (there are several versions of the tool). and it´s only 12 g! so you can save 80 or 90 g!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:50 pm 

btw: there is a version for 9s as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:52 pm 

http://www.rideandglide.bizland.com/jtek/shiftmate.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:05 pm 

jahknob wrote:

with the help of Roberts Cycles in London, for my project bike:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3170&highlight=

Nice bike .. just wondering, is this the same bike highlighted in the recent C+ magazine under "London Show Stars"? Looks identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:55 pm 

jahknob, is your Precision Billet Proshift essentially function as a Shimano 10speed der ? I really fancy running campag Ergo 10 levers with Shimano 10 rear der/sprockets/chain.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:55 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next