Lightweight Challenge 700 -> 721.3gr!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adam

by Adam

PezTech wrote:Two things...

firstly... I ride.

I'm not a Tour threat... But I'm not off the back of many groups not making a paycheck for turning pedals.

Secondly... while I FULLY agree that there are bikes that go past light to the point of useless, I draw the line at slandering people who have a passion for the sport and the gear.

Lots of pros ride bikes worth quite a bit less than most people at this forum, but despite the fact they have less fat and turn more miles and could basically ride away from 99% of us here at will, they don't stop in and take a piss on us for who we are or what we ride...

I'm not a fan of going over the top with gear... And I have no problem challenging those that would imply their bikes are "rideable" to define the word more carefully.

But there are several guys who just have a love for this stuff and make no excuses for their "weenieness" and no exagerated claims about their gear.

To them I've never said anything but "salute".

Just because it's not for me, or "maybe" they're not at the same or better athletic level doesn't make them any less a bike lover than anyone else.

Really? I've spoken to quite a few continental pros who think this forum is laughable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

The front wheel spokes still have Kevlar? I thought Challenge 700 was lighter and reworked Generation 3.

TheBooger

by TheBooger

weather the forum is laughable, the people are laughable, or whatever else, fat guys buying expensive bike parts are the reason that egotistical cat 1 bad-asses can get ep on thier caad 9's. they are the reason that domestic pros can get thier sweet $800/month pro contracts, and they are the reason that bike companies have any budget to innovate. basically without someone paying for something, there would be no money. Now excuse me while I go to a NBA baketball forum and trash talk people who buy lebron james jerseys and have no game.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Adam wrote:
PezTech wrote:Two things...

firstly... I ride.

I'm not a Tour threat... But I'm not off the back of many groups not making a paycheck for turning pedals.

Secondly... while I FULLY agree that there are bikes that go past light to the point of useless, I draw the line at slandering people who have a passion for the sport and the gear.

Lots of pros ride bikes worth quite a bit less than most people at this forum, but despite the fact they have less fat and turn more miles and could basically ride away from 99% of us here at will, they don't stop in and take a piss on us for who we are or what we ride...

I'm not a fan of going over the top with gear... And I have no problem challenging those that would imply their bikes are "rideable" to define the word more carefully.

But there are several guys who just have a love for this stuff and make no excuses for their "weenieness" and no exagerated claims about their gear.

To them I've never said anything but "salute".

Just because it's not for me, or "maybe" they're not at the same or better athletic level doesn't make them any less a bike lover than anyone else.

Really? I've spoken to quite a few continental pros who think this forum is laughable.

And who freaking cares? There are also plenty of pros who are weight freaks.
Last edited by drainyoo on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaestroXC

by MaestroXC

Adam wrote:Really? I've spoken to quite a few continental pros who think this forum is laughable.

And there are more than a few (more than I know, anyway) who post here themselves. So what?

Sometimes I think this forum is laughable, I'm still reading and posting.
Zealots beware.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

corky wrote:thing is these weight challenged, un-athletic bike fans subsidise the prices that the finely-honed, Michalangelo Adonis types pay for their parts. Not to mention that some of the innovators of parts,frames and clothing may be older and more sedantry than the racing snakes, so where would you be without 'em.

I wish sport wasn;t so elitest sometimes....... we're all bike riders ergo good people :D

I find it strange that people who have issues with the WW concept would even bother signing up here and posting.

tochnics

by tochnics

a wheelset around 700 grams is amazing!

neede i remind that its the weight of 2 cheap anti punture clincher tires and 2 cheap innertubes :P

could this be the absolute weight limit for a long time?

oftopic:

for all you complaining about not riding enough miles with a posh bike

Jelousy is a m*th*rf*ck*er!

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Pez, I was making a generalization that applies to a few people, not all. And I was not talking to you or about you. I wasn't even thinking about you when I wrote it. You take yourself way too seriously, dude.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Apparently, J-Nice meant to wrote:A few of The people who can afford to buy this stuff retail, or the ones who have access one way or another to exclusive, high-end bike parts don't ride. They just "talk about it". :roll:

Evert

by Evert

Nice job that Sebastian did there! :shock: Should be a trilling ride...

Just wondering why didn't Carbonsports made them this lite... With just standard materials they build up a set that is even a bit lighter. Maybe CS could answer this? Not to say that the Challenge 700 isn't a great set!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

J-Nice wrote:Pez, I was making a generalization that applies to a few people, not all. And I was not talking to you or about you.

Fair enough, but reading a blanket statement like this...

J-Nice wrote:The people who can afford to buy this stuff retail, or the ones who have access one way or another to exclusive, high-end bike parts don't ride. They just "talk about it". :roll:

It very much looked like you were talking to and about most of the people here. I didn't think making a reply was out of line.

But back to the LW's.

Great job on getting so damn close to 700 with a few sensible tweaks though... Now lets get an 800 gram set of hoops that don't have a terrain requirement!
I don't doubt for a second that Lightweight have the ability and can do it in a set of wheels that will not need to come back to them regularly or need much special attention.

OJ

by OJ

I just realized that this LW wheelset is lighter than a tubular rear wheel that I built couple of weeks ago and thought it's pretty light at ~800g built from the stuff I had lying around.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miller

by Miller

J-Nice wrote:The people who can afford to buy this stuff retail, or the ones who have access one way or another to exclusive, high-end bike parts don't ride. They just "talk about it". :roll:

I know this remark is designed to wind people up... but what the hell. There's a guy in the club I am in who is very well resourced. His new bike this year was an Extreme-C with Lightweights and carbon brakes, basically the full WW build list for a a 6kg bike. On the other hand, he rides constantly, is very fit and carries no spare fat. He rode the complete Sports Organisation sportive series in France this year. He's got the toys but he does the riding too. I'm sure the poster of the quoted remark above has someone in mind too, but as has been said, blanket judgements are inaccurate.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Lets' get back on topic. I remember a few years back Max Schiandri was riding a set of either Lightweights or ADAs at the World championships and he crashed the front wheel in a pileup. Supposedly the wheel in question was in the realm of 300-360 grams, I am not sure.

But if a wheel that light was possible 10 years or so ago, I do not see these light wheels as pushing the envelope but more of a steady progression where Carbonsports and Lew are definitely leading the pack. And it seems as if they are pushing each other to produce lighter and stiffer products, which is definitely a good thing.

I will not be surprised if Mavic changes the design of their rear wheel in the near future to match what these 2 companies are doing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

J-nice, I think you are probably right on the mavic thing. It seems like they left the door open for multiple models with the lightest, non-adjustable set as the top of the line.