Edge Composites Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sharky2000

by sharky2000

Just wondering what all the fuss is about. For those who have seen them or even ridden them can someone please explain why they seem to be popping up everywhere. Are they high quality/aero/light/great price? Does any one have confirmed prices. Their website is lacking in details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nicrump

by nicrump

sharky2000 wrote:Just wondering what all the fuss is about. For those who have seen them or even ridden them can someone please explain why they seem to be popping up everywhere. Are they high quality/aero/light/great price? Does any one have confirmed prices. Their website is lacking in details.

i can tell you that all the ones i felt were strung tighter than any full carbon rimmed wheel i have ever touched. i have a set on the way and look forward to the building experiance.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

+1 on initial "hands" impression.

The stuff from edge was one of the nice surprises of the show...

I will be taking a run to their place and hopefully sending a set of hoops to Bike Messenger for build shortly and get some road time in, but they looked, on surface to be a well controlled build. Also consistent as there were lots of their products at the show (fork was nice too).

As for the tubes, the list of builders using things from them include my top two in Crumpton and Parlee...

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Edge has some impressive stuff. We have been using custom rolled tubes from them for about a year now. The quality seems to be a notch better than any previous supplier, and they are willing to roll each set of tubes for each bike as a custom set for us - it costs a chunk more, but because they are willing to do that for us, we can tune a ride perfectly with the carbon and steel or Ti.

The wheels/rims look good. I have not had a chance to get out on them yet, as we just picked them up at the show. But with any luck we'll be out on them soon. The finish quality looks excellent, and the rims feel extremely solid, but are still fairly light. Looks like they build excellent wheels.

I was a bit perplexed by the shape of the 38mm rim, which seems a bit concave. Carl said that it had not been wind-tunnel tested, but that he expected it to be fine - personally, with a deeper-section carbon rim, I am looking for more than "fine". The 69mm rim (they call it a 68) looks more like what you would expect with a slight convex shape, so I would expect it to be reasonably fast.

The fork that we picked up from them weighed 323 uncut. It looks beautiful. The shape and finish (uni) are exactly what I would do if I were making forks. I'll be putting it on my new bike next week after I rack up a couple of miles on the AlphaQ fork that's on there now. I am really looking forward to that...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

From my understanding the spoke holes in the rim are moulded, not drilled, which will result in the ability to take much higher tension with better durability than other carbon rims.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Does Edge Composites = Maclean Quality Composites or is it connected in some other way? Same market segments, same basic neighbourhood, etc.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I believe edge is run by a former employee of Maclean.

Rue

by Rue

PezTech wrote:+1 on initial "hands" impression.

The stuff from edge was one of the nice surprises of the show...

I will be taking a run to their place and hopefully sending a set of hoops to Bike Messenger for build shortly and get some road time in, but they looked, on surface to be a well controlled build. Also consistent as there were lots of their products at the show (fork was nice too).

As for the tubes, the list of builders using things from them include my top two in Crumpton and Parlee...

Hey Pez,
If you want to get a ride on them immediatly I happen to have two sets that are ready to go. I'll be riding the 38 this weekend but the 68 will be available to you if you want. Give me a ring.....
ruesports.com
We can build, repair and paint almost anything carbon!

tmanley

by tmanley

Does anybody know when you'll be able to purchase the rims? The deep dish hoops look like a possibility for a TT wheelset idea I'm tossing around in my head.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The rims should be available any time. A few sets have already leaked out and production should speed up since Interbike has ended. So far there are only tubular wheels, and there are four versions.

38mm Tubular 1.0. Weight 260grams. 18,20,24,28 holes, retail $800.
38mm Tubular 2.0. Weight 330grams. 18,20,24,28 holes, retail $685.

68mm Tubular 1.0. Weight 350grams. 16,20,24,28 holes, retail $850.
68mm Tubular 2.0. Weight 440grams. 16,20,24,28 holes, retail $735.

It's my understanding that their innovation comes from having spoke holes molded into each rim rather than drilled. By molding it, all the fibers continue without being cut resulting in a rim that can be lighter yet much stronger especially at the spoke hole. The drawback is that they can't just use one mold and drill each rim, they have to have a mold for each spoke count rim that they wish to sell. No idea when the clinchers will be ready.

For the forks there are two road versions 285grams and 330grams. Retail $550 and $480. There are two aero versions also 320 and 370grams retail $580 and $510.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

madcow wrote:The rims should be available any time. A few sets have already leaked out and production should speed up since Interbike has ended. So far there are only tubular wheels, and there are four versions.

38mm Tubular 1.0. Weight 260grams. 18,20,24,28 holes, retail $800.
38mm Tubular 2.0. Weight 330grams. 18,20,24,28 holes, retail $685.

68mm Tubular 1.0. Weight 350grams. 16,20,24,28 holes, retail $850.
68mm Tubular 2.0. Weight 440grams. 16,20,24,28 holes, retail $735.

I'm not really sure why I'm asking that, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but are those prices for a rim or a wheel?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

mcxiko

by mcxiko

would be nice if anybody could post the address of those wheels. worked with google but didn't really find those things i wanted to find.

thanks alex

Hosehead

by Hosehead

You will get more information from this thread than from their website:
http://edgecomposites.com/cycling.aspx

johanfl

by johanfl

I bet those prices is per rim only.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

johanfl wrote:I bet those prices is per rim only.

And weights per rim only too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com