Who makes the lightest dual pivot brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I thought so too initially but according to KCNC directly, they are not the same. Those Token ones are like 270g or something of the sort...

Greyhound

by Greyhound

Someone out there who knows the price for the new FSA K-Force Brakeset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I understand your love of all things solid and predictable with breaking, but I have to throw the NegG brakes into the mix. Just got out on a set tonight, and they are outstanding. I have had the AX, Campy, DA, Mavic, M5 and ZG brakes and would put these NegG at the top of my list. They are so smooth, but so solid and responsive - it is like the M5 but with a good bit more refinement to the feel. And yes, they are still the most difficult brakes on earth to get setup, but I'll deal with it for the feel and performance...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

dannyg1

by dannyg1

Anybody have photos of the NegG and KCNC dual pivots?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

dannyg1 wrote:Anybody have photos of the NegG and KCNC dual pivots?

Only have the NG, will have to post it when I get home. :wink:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Full review of Negative G here

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5177

Several pics, but lots can be said without saying anything just by looking at the side by side shots... (front, top and angle are in the review).

Like I said several pages ago, Negative G are WAY different performers to the old ZeroG. and there are others that could be considered...

bluredvision

by bluredvision

I believe that Campagnolo Record Skeletons stop just as well as Dura Ace, and are quite a bit lighter, especially if you gave them some of the same ti bolts.

Campy put dual-pivot in the front and single-pivot in the back, which makes a lot of sense to me - you don't want to brake harder than you could with single-pivot on the rear wheel anyway, or it would just skid.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have the skeleton brakes on a bike with Niobium 30 rims, and I would have to put the strength and smoothness of the NegG on carbon rims well ahead of the Campys.

As far as a DP brake goes, I think you are fairly hard pressed to beat the Mavic SSC brake. Very smooth, solid feel, and well lighter out of the box than the DA brakes, so you could probably tune them to come in under the current calipers.

Dalai

by Dalai

maxxevv wrote:Look out for the new ones from KCNC, supposedly under 180g a pair, dual pivots that seek to come close to DA performance (this part I have to see the final product to believe..)

Any news on availablility and RRP?

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Hi Lance,

I've been thinking of doing just that but the yellow mavic decals is annoying and doesn't match my bike. Is it laser etched on the caliper or can I remove it via artificial means? But that would necessitate damaging the anodized finish right?

quote="lancejohnson"]I have the skeleton brakes on a bike with Niobium 30 rims, and I would have to put the strength and smoothness of the NegG on carbon rims well ahead of the Campys.

As far as a DP brake goes, I think you are fairly hard pressed to beat the Mavic SSC brake. Very smooth, solid feel, and well lighter out of the box than the DA brakes, so you could probably tune them to come in under the current calipers.[/quote]
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

bike_add1ct

by bike_add1ct

HanSolo wrote:Hi Lance,

I've been thinking of doing just that but the yellow mavic decals is annoying and doesn't match my bike. Is it laser etched on the caliper or can I remove it via artificial means? But that would necessitate damaging the anodized finish right?

The Mavic decal is just a silly sticker which you can peel off manually without any effort. I did it with my calipers, and it does leave a small greyish ring which does seem to be etched or something... see attached pic
Attachments
SSC front 2.jpg

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

The Mavic sets that I have just had a sticker like the rims do...

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Hi Bikeaddict,

That white circle has been photoshopped onto the brakes right? Thanks for the pics. But if I'd hate to have that white "halo" after removing the yellow mavic stickers.

bike_add1ct wrote:
HanSolo wrote:Hi Lance,

The Mavic decal is just a silly sticker which you can peel off manually without any effort. I did it with my calipers, and it does leave a small greyish ring which does seem to be etched or something... see attached pic
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

bike_add1ct

by bike_add1ct

HanSolo wrote:Hi Bikeaddict,

That white circle has been photoshopped onto the brakes right? Thanks for the pics. But if I'd hate to have that white "halo" after removing the yellow mavic stickers.

No, that isn't photoshopped. That white circle is actually laser-etched or something, to help the good people in the Mavic plant aim their decal-sticking, I guess. It doesn't bother me really though, I left it there though you could try goin' at it with a waterproof black marker.

SLight

by SLight

If you go from dura-ace to zero-gravity brakes, you'll have to cut your (outer) cables 8-10cm longer, what will ad a few grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com