FSA vs. Easton (handlebars help!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cure

by cure

hello all, im looking to get compact handlebars. the ones i have right now are easton ec70, sram equipped caad9 52cm bike... drops are 140mm and reach is 85mm, too much in either direction. im liking the flat transition from bar to hoods, and also the flat top where you rest your palms. im looking for similar ones in this design. also not too crazy about the anatomical shape, so im looking at round ones.

i found the FSA K-force reach/drop 80mm/125mm and the Easton EC90 SLX3. im leaning more to the FSA only because it has good reviews (reading easton was a "noodle?" on WW forum) but also read good things about Easton. FSA also has the grooves so it will be a seamless handlebar w/o the cables protruding, looks better to me... and they have the flat top that i like! i dont think Easton has that. are these even comparable to the least? experiences to compare? i like the matte finish of the eastons, not too crazy about the glossy finish on the FSA...but it wont hold me back if performance is outweighed.

if there are other bars out there within this price range please hit me up. preferably $200usd and under...in carbon fiber. (i've been spoiled w/ comfort on the ec70s!)

thank you again! :shock:
i love udon.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have used both bars- they are both very good.
Pluses for easton (IMO) is they are more attractive, bend is more roundish and open, and the reach to hoods can be made quite short. They have a small shape change up around where the hoods mount that allow them to mount effectively closer that the FSA.
FSA compact are nice though.
Another bar to consider is Deda Zero 100 if you go aluminum. Or Specialized compact- almost a knockoff of the Deda, but way lighter than Deda Presa (the carbon version of the zero 100).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cure

by cure

thanks, what do you mean by 'open'? dont they both flare out a little at the drops?

so what i have right now on my bike makes it look front heavy and sluggish to me...my other reason is its not aesthetically appealing to me just yet...its all stock, i'll have to post a pic of it late tonight so yall can suggest what changes i can make to make it look faster? at least the minimal changes.
i love udon.

grover

by grover

3T ergonova? short drop/reach, flat top, cable grooves. I like mine.

cure

by cure

grover wrote:3T ergonova? short drop/reach, flat top, cable grooves. I like mine.

i have considered it! it looks real sharp, but it has too much of the anatomic design for me..
i love udon.

cure

by cure

ok here is what i have right now. saddle is a fizik aliante now... it may be camera distortion but from what you can see here it appears awkward, please comment and make suggestions...
Attachments
caad9.jpg
i love udon.

Steelman

by Steelman

+1 FSA, just bought the FSA carbon compact and I am very happy with the upgrade. Perfect for what I was looking for in a new bar. Just remember that the FSA bars are measured from the bottom of the drops c-c

cure

by cure

any comments on what it might look w/ what i have now? just want opinions..
i love udon.

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Based on your description on how you like to set up the hoods and looking at the pic, I would suggest going for the FSA compact bars. As mentioned above, the drops flare out by 4-degrees. Put another way, a bar that states 42cm is 42cm at the end of the drops and close to 40cm around the bend where one would typically install the hoods.

cure

by cure

ahumblecycler wrote:Based on your description on how you like to set up the hoods and looking at the pic, I would suggest going for the FSA compact bars. As mentioned above, the drops flare out by 4-degrees. Put another way, a bar that states 42cm is 42cm at the end of the drops and close to 40cm around the bend where one would typically install the hoods.

the ones i have actually flare out at the drops. its 16" top and 16.5" at drops...is there a reason for the flare though? does it have to do with comfort or structural design?
03.JPG
04.JPG
i love udon.

cure

by cure

oh and here's a pic of the caad9 with the aliante saddle. i spoke with competitive cyclist rep and he told me that getting the fsa compact handlebars would make a huge difference in the way it looks right now... although the drops on mine are 140mm, the fsa compacts measure to 125mm...which is more or less 1/2" higher and to have the rounded bend upwards...

anybody have this awkward feeling before or is just me....
02.JPG
i love udon.

dmp

by dmp

I have the EC90 SLX3's and they are just about perfect. I can't say that I notice much flex (but I'm only 58kg/ 128lbs), and the shape is great and a perfect fit to Campy levers. Highly recommended.

cure

by cure

needless to say...or ask, if i equip my bike with either fsa or easton's, the feel will definitely feel better i think. (i'll be going to my lbs to get a feel of the fsa's next week!) but will it also give it a 'fast' look?
i love udon.

fa63

by fa63

If fast looks are what you after, forget about compact handlebars. You will need classic-bend drop bars for that:

cure

by cure

fa63 wrote:If fast looks are what you after, forget about compact handlebars. You will need classic-bend drop bars for that:

your bike looks fast without bars! you have hot wheels/ color scheme... my bike is just stock everything and one color basically. i think its harder for me to get that look? any suggestions on the classic bend then? theres no such thing as classic bend compacts ...are there?
i love udon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com