Opinions/Suggestion: Extralite vs. Alchemy vs. Tune

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to build an alloy clincher wheelset. With choices in Rims and Spokes, I have decided to roll with KinLin XR-200 and Sapim cxrays. I am a little bit torn with all the various choices of hubs but have narrowed it down to Extralite SPM,SX / Alchemy and Tune. My goal is to build a light wheelset while trying to maintain durability. I wanted to know what is "the best route" in terms of these hubs. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Well if it was my wheelset and money was no object I would go:

Alechemy orc/elf
kinlin XR-270
20/24 cx rays

with the xr 200s, depending on what you weigh I would go 24/28 with the same hubs.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I've used all three and honestly, it's hard for me to tell a difference.

The Tune hubs I've used the most and had no trouble at all so far, the Extralite ones were on a pair of wheels I was supposed to test and I really used them in the worst conditions on cobbles, just like a combo of Elf/Mag on my everyday wheels.

The only problem I had was a seized bearing in, you might be surprised to read this, the Elf hub. But the contact with Jeremy from Alchemy was so awesome I'd actually put this as a "+" in my book. I had a pair of free bearings and the adapters to replace them in the mail in no time.

The Alchemy ones might allow you to build slightly stiffer wheels, but that is not something you mention, so not sure if that does anything for you.

I'm pretty sure this didn't really help, but if you want to go with the ones that you think look the nicest or are available in the color you want you can't really go wrong, in my experience.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

I'd definitely give the nod to Alchemy for durability, and you might consider the Stan's Alpha 340 rims if you want light rims. They are a little stiffer, more aero, much wider internally, and tend to be straighter than the XR200s. Long term durability is unknown, but I haven't heard a single case of them cracking yet... which is good. You don't give your weight, but 20f and 28r should be plenty solid for most.

t0ph0id

by t0ph0id

rruff wrote:I'd definitely give the nod to Alchemy for durability, and you might consider the Stan's Alpha 340 rims if you want light rims. They are a little stiffer, more aero, much wider internally, and tend to be straighter than the XR200s. Long term durability is unknown, but I haven't heard a single case of them cracking yet... which is good. You don't give your weight, but 20f and 28r should be plenty solid for most.

Stan's Alpha 340 don't come in 20 hole do they? Thought they started at 24.

woz9683

by woz9683

They do come in 20h

...and 18h, I think, but not positive on that

konky

by konky

Of the 3 hubs mentioned I have only used Alchemy which have been fantastic. But I must must concur with Ypsylon regarding Alchemy customer service. My dealings with Jeramy and his wife Sarah have been awsome.

I didn't have a problem with the product. I needed to swap a campy freehub for a Shimano one on my Orc (rear) hub. Jeremy actually made a video illustrating how to do it. The Orc is not ideally made to swap around and is a complicated process but can be done.

It really is special to be able to talk to and get such in depth direct help from the actual manufacturer of a mainstream product. I could not be more positive about Alchemy, they were absolutely superb.
Last edited by konky on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

woz9683 wrote:They do come in 20h

...and 18h, I think, but not positive on that

Yes to both. I am in fact sitting right next to my Alpha 340 18h front as I type. :)

As to the OP, I love my Tune 180 rear. Have a set of wheels built with it and I have never had any issues. Its loud when coasting. Personally, I like that. Have another 180 on the way for another build.

Having said that, none of my builds have a Tune front. My wheelbuilder doesnt like them. He recommends Alchemy Elf fronts, and I trust his opinion (despite realizing its hearsay - I am only sharing it), and that's what the new build I am going with is (Elf front, 180 rear). The other I'd consider is a straight up Alchemy build. I'd only do Extralites on a hillclimb-dedicated race wheel. That's it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Alchemy - all the way. I have three ORCs and two ELFs built by Jeremy into various wheels. His expertise and level of service are unparalleled in my experience.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I thought you can't use regular clinchers on tubeless rims. :noidea:

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Wizzo wrote:I thought you can't use regular clinchers on tubeless rims. :noidea:

No problem.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

You can, you just have to use a tube and can't run tubeless
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

Thanks everyone. Reconsidering to the 340s but still debating over the Extralites and Alchemy now. At least its down to 2 choices :thumbup:

Doolop

by Doolop

Wizzo wrote:Thanks everyone. Reconsidering to the 340s but still debating over the Extralites and Alchemy now. At least its down to 2 choices :thumbup:

Want to ride these wheels every day? Alchemy. Want to use them for going up hills only? Extralite.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Ive got a set of a340s and alchemy hubs. A very nice, very light setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com