ceramic hybrid bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

anybody use these in a cannondale si bb?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Whats the point? The SI system is bad ass. I never once had to sevice the bearings!

:twisted:

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

you had the bike about a year.

I know that you can get the specs of the BB and they are available from standard bearing distributors.

The original CAAD 6 SI bearing routinely seized and were problematic, they're a lot better now.

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I would imagine that big of a bearing X 2 would save some wieght :-)
The SI system is bad ass. I never once had to sevice the bearings

I agree thats why I will never buy another frame without it ,just got my 6/13 with si bb, :-)
know to build it

zoey

by zoey

For Ceramic bearings try http://www.bocabearings.com/
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Interesting webby! If I order ceramics bearings for my dt240s hubs,can do they make them for me?How much will it cost to me?(a range)
I saw some price but I didn't mesure my bearings.

autocutter

by autocutter

I use the Ceramic Hybrids in my SPOX R1's and they roll way better than the stock bearings-better than loose ball campy's for those of you who remember such things. Weight loss was a few of grams-maybe 10 grams for all four-at best. The gain was totally seen with longer rollouts(coasting) and I picked up about a .5 MPH gain.

That said, does anyone the bearing size for the CAAD6 SI BB? Cannondale just gives it their part number. I hate to pull it all apart to measure them because this is my only ride right now.

I also plan to replace the Shimano RD pully wheel bearings
Autocutter

CAAD6
Team Saeco Colors

Superlite

by Superlite

I use the Ceramic Hybrids in my SPOX R1's and they roll way better than the stock bearings-better than loose ball campy's for those of you who remember such things. Weight loss was a few of grams-maybe 10 grams for all four-at best. The gain was totally seen with longer rollouts(coasting) and I picked up about a .5 MPH gain.

That said, does anyone the bearing size for the CAAD6 SI BB? Cannondale just gives it their part number. I hate to pull it all apart to measure them because this is my only ride right now.

I also plan to replace the Shimano RD pully wheel bearings

Two things.

One, I use to own Spox R1's, and despite Spinergy being crap these days that wheel by far had the smoothest rolling hubs on ANY wheels I have ever seen. It's really hard to imagine they are alot smoother with ceramic hybrid, and your not getting .5mph increase. Not being rude, but no way thats happening. Especially due to aerodynamics. Those wheels are wind beaters with the PBO spokes.

Two, ceramic hybrid bearing weight savings is so MINIMAL weight. You said you saved 10g, in reality you MAY have saved 1g. Hybrid ceramic do not save much weight. I was looking into them while designing a BB, and a 31mm OD 21.5 ID X 7mm bearing the weight savings from standard to ceramic hybrid was .2g.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

I am in agreeance with SL on this one. Ceramic hybrids, and full ceramic bearings for that matter offer little if any advantage over a high quality steel ball bearing in a bicycle application. Full ceramics are great for high revolution applications, such as electric motors, etc, but for bicycles, these parts do not rotate fast enough to offer any advantage. Ceramic hybrids offer a negligible weight advantage.

That said, a full ceramic bearing, i.e. races too, is the only bearing that makes sense to me if you were to use it in a bicycle application. No lubrication would be required, as microwelding does not takes place as with regular steel ball bearings. Of course, the cost, weight loss (very little) and rotational speed gains (zero) are hardly worth the effort.

However, if there is a psychological advantage to running ceramics, thinking your bike will move along marginally faster, then by all means, install them :) For me, a good training program equates to faster speed and endurance. Riding experience increases your ability to suffer on the bike.

autocutter

by autocutter

Wow, I didn't know I was spreading so much crap! Thanks for correcting Sl.

"maybe 10 grams for all four-at best" means just that-weight saving were very minimal-about 2 grams each. The bearings were replaced because of running rough-hence the minor gain seen in overall speed and especially for rollout. The hybrids are far better at rolling then the ones that came with my wheels, that's both my opinion and what my informal testing has shown to me. Show me something other than opinion.
Autocutter

CAAD6
Team Saeco Colors

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Indeed, there will have almost no weight saved with ceramics bearings, the weight of a ceramic ball is usually between 2,33 times less than a normal ball.
A normal ball is very light; around 2g so the ceramic ball will be (for the same size) around 0,8gr so... it is really nothing ;) 1,2gr saved by a ball is low even if you multiplicate it by the total of balls number, you will only save a few grams, 50grams on a bike... and it will be very expensive... (more than 800€ only for the hybrids bearings?!)

Is it really useful?

I think the only interest of the ceramic bearing/balls is to increase the life time of the bearings, even without lubrification (doesn't required if total ceramic bearing)

The price and weight are certainly wrong, only the 2,33 is good (I found it in a ceramic bearings book at school)

Superlite

by Superlite

Wow, I didn't know I was spreading so much crap! Thanks for correcting Sl.

"maybe 10 grams for all four-at best" means just that-weight saving were very minimal-about 2 grams each. The bearings were replaced because of running rough-hence the minor gain seen in overall speed and especially for rollout. The hybrids are far better at rolling then the ones that came with my wheels, that's both my opinion and what my informal testing has shown to me. Show me something other than opinion.

You take things the wrong way and give additude that no one wants to see.

I specificlly said I was no trying to be rude.

And for the record I said .2g not 2 grams. You only saved about a gram if you were lucky, the bearings I weighed for ceramic hybrid were quite a bit larger then the spinergy wheels bearings, so the weight savings is probley half a gram for all four bearings.

Thats not opinion, its fact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

As a side note, I don't know who started the ceramic bearing craze but It definitely wasn't to save weight.
I'm an Aero Engineer and work in the Aeronautical industry and we're seeing some engine companies using them because they are supposed to last longer than conventional bearings.
When I used to race R/C cars they were starting to use ceramic bearings in the differential gears.....also because of the durability benifits.

It all depends on how precisly the parts are manufactured though. They won't last for squat if the tolerances aren't super tight.