My future bike, almost finshed! Advice please!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OLver

by OLver

Frame : Colnago OvalMaster (size 51cm)

Fork: Colnago Force (full carbon)

Headset: Chris King NoThreadset

Wheelset: American Classic Cr420 (18/24 spokes, Sapim CX-Ray)

Full 2005 Shimano Ultegra 10 speed

Seat: Selle Italia SLR XP

Seat Post: Extralite Road Post

Seat Clamp: Extralite The Clamp

Stem: Syntace F139, with Ti bolts, and a Syntace shim for 1”steerer

Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Roadbar (26.0 diameter) or 3TTT Prima (thank you Samu)

Pedals: Speedplay X3 (those with chromo axes) (i'ill probably go to the X2 next season, Boonen is right, mine now have a bit of play, they are unstable

Skewers: Extralite Acids, Aliens or Tune

It’s not a pure weight weenie bike, but there’s no point for me going under the UCI limit, and I want a full rideable bike, for training as for racing. Also, I’m not too rich (!)
I got the frame and fork for 1500 $Can, the retailed price was 3900$Can!

Any suggestions, improvement or recommendation?
Also, if someone would be able to approximate the total weigh, it would be nice! My frame is 1400g and the fork 380 (verified on a digit scale)

Thanks a lot!

I edited the list, thnak you for your sugestions!
Last edited by OLver on Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I would but it this way:

Wheelset: American Classic Cr420 (18/24 spokes, Sapim CX-Ray) =How about new D-A hubs (adjust bearings)+CX-ray+DT RR1.1 or Open Pro...those A-C wheels are not racing wheels. My fried had those in one crit and they where afful. So soft that you can see it behind even spokes where tightened and they make bad noise when accelerating.( btw,I have Record/X-ray/RR1.1's and I have had CR350 A-C wheel's)

Full 2005 Shimano Ultegra 10 speed (maybe I’ll buy Zero Gravity brakes later) =Ultegra AND 300€ ZG brakes ? waste of money, Ultegra is way heavy anyway...Why don't Campa? Lighter, more cheaper parts like Veloce 12-23 cassette for training, good hubs etc.

Seat: Selle Italia SLR XP =std. SLR is better and saves ~30-40g.

Seat Post: Extralite Road Post= USE is desent if you read manual. Thomson is sure pick.

Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Roadbar (26.0 diameter) =3TTT Prima 199. That Ricthey in Colnago, makes mu puke...and it's heavyer.

Pedals: Speedplay X3 (those with chromo axes)

Skewers: maybe Extralite Acids or USE Alien. =Tune's are way nicer but avoid USE's, they look "not so traditional". Also they work well in hobby ridinf but not in
racing.

rico

by rico

I race on my USE skewers - never had a problem with them. Also I suspect 2005 Ultegra is going to be sweet and stiff. I like Campag stuff, but they've got to do something about that square taper BB IMO....

Samu is right about the Ritchey bars though - didn't Nazon's snap in the Tour?

rico

doozer

by doozer

big advocate of U.S.E spin stix.. as they spin on they are even quicker to change than a traditional skewer where you hafat spin it up then do up the lever and often readjust it too!!!

I've unfortunately punctured in races with a spare wheel on the team car with spin stix on.. mechanic just puts wheel in, spins the skewer round and the jobs done.. then I justa had to chase back on :lol:

Dooz :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

OLver

by OLver

Samu Ilonen wrote:I would but it this way:

Wheelset: American Classic Cr420 (18/24 spokes, Sapim CX-Ray) =How about new D-A hubs (adjust bearings)+CX-ray+DT RR1.1 or Open Pro...those A-C wheels are not racing wheels. My fried had those in one crit and they where afful. So soft that you can see it behind even spokes where tightened and they make bad noise when accelerating.( btw,I have Record/X-ray/RR1.1's and I have had CR350 A-C wheel's)

Full 2005 Shimano Ultegra 10 speed (maybe I’ll buy Zero Gravity brakes later) =Ultegra AND 300€ ZG brakes ? waste of money, Ultegra is way heavy anyway...Why don't Campa? Lighter, more cheaper parts like Veloce 12-23 cassette for training, good hubs etc.

Seat: Selle Italia SLR XP =std. SLR is better and saves ~30-40g.

Seat Post: Extralite Road Post= USE is desent if you read manual. Thomson is sure pick.

Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Roadbar (26.0 diameter) =3TTT Prima 199. That Ricthey in Colnago, makes mu puke...and it's heavyer.

Pedals: Speedplay X3 (those with chromo axes)

Skewers: maybe Extralite Acids or USE Alien. =Tune's are way nicer but avoid USE's, they look "not so traditional". Also they work well in hobby ridinf but not in
racing.

Thank you Samun for your advices. 3TTT Prima and Tune's skewers may be interesting.

For the wheelset, I should have specified I weigh 120pounds, and I rode thoses wheels in races half the season, and I love them... stiff enough for me! and I think they are a good compromise between weight/aero/price.

Also, I would not buy a SLR seat. Yes, the SLR XP is heavier, but for me the weigh is not all, comfort and price is also very important.

Do you think the 4 bolts design of the Syntace may dammage the handlebars like Ritchey WCS or 3TTT Prima?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

Olver,
I have used both the speedplay X3 and X2/1 pedals and keep turning back to them as I love these pedals. I found the X3 pedals to be of very poor quality. For me they only last about half a season and then the cromo axle is grinded down so much that there is a lot of play in the pedal and it gets unridable. The X2/1 pedals have much better bearings and don't have this problem. They last much much longer so I think the upgrade from X3 to X2 is money very well spend (and a little weight saved)

Good luck with the bike, looks like a nice bike to me (I ride a colnago as well)

Kind regards,