McMahon brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

Has anyone tried these (no longer made). McMahon Racing Components, about 100g per unit I understand.
If someone has used them, how is the braking modulation and power? I think they're mainly for TT, so maybe not advised for general road use? I'm curious.

"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

ceitsab

by ceitsab

I just got a pair off of ebay. Mine were 195 with ti brake bolts but no pads. I have mounted them and I can see the flex in the brake not being ideal but haven't really put them trough a good test yet. Fairly hard to lace the cable up for sure.
When I race I am full of doubts.... who will be second, who will be third?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTech

by BikeTech

I have always wanted to find a pair of those McMahon brakes. Not sure how well they work on road though. Zipp also made a brake similar in design to this, a few years ago. The Zipp brake was for TT's, and I know for certain it did not have a great deal of stopping power.

cadence90

by cadence90

ceitsab wrote:I just got a pair off of ebay. Mine were 195 with ti brake bolts but no pads. I have mounted them and I can see the flex in the brake not being ideal but haven't really put them trough a good test yet. Fairly hard to lace the cable up for sure.

Where is the cable clamp anyway, behind that M on the front? Do you get at it through the sides, which I guess swing in/out, or from below?
Let us know how they work when you really run them.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

saletel

by saletel

looks like the campy delta brakes (i think thats what they are called)

ceitsab

by ceitsab

cadence90 wrote:Where is the cable clamp anyway, behind that M on the front? Do you get at it through the sides, which I guess swing in/out, or from below? Let us know how they work when you really run them.

The cable does clamp right behind the "M". It laces through a hole that is drilled into the shaft of a bolt. lacing the cable though can be tuff as there isn't much hole diameter and a cable thread can catch and ruin the cable.

The cable is then fixed in place by a small grub screw that you tighten from the back of the brake. This has to be done with the brake off the fork through a little cut out in the aluminium back plate.

Setting the cable length was tricky. Right below the bolt the cable passes though is the return spring and there is no room for extra cable so the cable has needs to be cut at the exact length then thread though the hole.

If you had a steady hand you might be able to dremel cut it but you would need to unscrew the back plate to get at it.

ceitsab

by ceitsab

cadence90 wrote:Where is the cable clamp anyway, behind that M on the front? Do you get at it through the sides, which I guess swing in/out, or from below? Let us know how they work when you really run them.

The cable does clamp right behind the "M". It laces through a hole that is drilled into the shaft of a bolt. lacing the cable though can be tuff as there isn't much hole diameter and a cable thread can catch and ruin the cable.

The cable is then fixed in place by a small grub screw that you tighten from the back of the brake. This has to be done with the brake off the fork through a little cut out in the aluminium back plate.

Setting the cable length was tricky. Right below the bolt the cable passes though is the return spring and there is no room for extra cable so the cable has needs to be cut at the exact length then thread though the hole.

If you had a steady hand you might be able to dremel cut it but you would need to unscrew the back plate to get at it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com