Ridley Helium SLA H11 Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

Over the last 2 years I have been slowly buying up Campagnolo 11 speed components for a future build, my very first build to be exact! Not being very mechanically minded, I'm a little worried that a disc build might be too much to take on as my first build but figured if I get stuck, I'll take it to the shop and let the pro's fix my mistakes!

The plan was always for this to be a relatively cheap build, buying components that were heavily reduced in price etc. I also wanted this to be an aluminium bike. This year I managed to buy a Ridley SLA frameset for $600 Aud. The biggest expense were the wheels, Light Bicycle AR46 carbon the choice I finally decided on.

I'm about half way through the build and things have generally gone well, there are a couple of cringy, inexperienced mistakes that I've already made (which have driven me mad) but more on those later.

Lastly, a massive shout out to c60rider and his ribble disc post, and all the other similar threads that have helped me so far!
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

That's looing like a nice build in the making!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

bedampft

by bedampft

That frame looks awesome!

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Great pickup - looks like it will be an awesome build.

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

And now for one of those cringe parts, installing the threaded cups. I'd previously read that you should cover them with a cloth or similar when tightening to avoid scratching them, so that's what i tried. Didn't work though, managed to rip the metal and scar them. It was only after I did this that a friend suggested using an old inner tube, wrapping it around the cup, would have worked much better! ImageImage

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

Almost finished my first build! Just a few small things to sort out, I'm getting some rub on the front disc brakes. I've left a generous amount of stem and will cut it to size once I've dialed my position. Final weight without pedals is 7.72kg. I've recently purchased a set of Favero Assioma Duos, weighing 304g so total build will be pretty much bang on 8kg, which I'm really pleased with!

I've done a terrible job on the bar tape, love the colour and style but the 3mm thickness is just too much on top of some already chunky bars. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Gorgeous looking bike and bar tape doesn't look to bad!
Maybe pop this over to the gallery rather than road :)

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Mascalzone

by Mascalzone

Thanks! Will do!

tonchy

by tonchy

Very nice build, thumbs up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓