HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 am 

I have been a long time user of Sram and Shimano drivetrains in both mechanical and electronic flavors. I have always wanted to try Campagnolo so I ordered a 2015 Super Record group and had it installed on my Vamoots RSL. It looks incredible and seems to work really well. I did notice one thing about the shifting and wanted some input from users of multiple drivetrains.

When the bike is in the stand the shifting is perfect. When I am casually riding the shifting is perfect. BUT, when I am riding hard I am over-shifting the rear derailleur when going for an easier gear. Is Campy just more sensitive at the shift lever? When I shift up one click without concentrating the chain will sometimes go up 2 cogs and immediately drop back down to the correct cog. It is as if I pushed the lever too far past the "click". It does not hesitate on the 2nd cog and i only noticed it as i was looking down at it while climbing.

It seems as though sram and shimano have a larger "Dead zone" after the "click" where you can be more ham-fisted in your shifts but still get accurate shifts.

Has anyone else experienced this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am 

The new stuff is really sensitive, I've talked to a couple people who say at first they were overshifting at times. It's due to the up 3, down 5 nature of the mechanism.

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am 
  • 10.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 86 components

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 pm 

Maybe your throwing the lever too much. Use one finger and stop at the click. How's the down shifting? Maybe your also running too much tension and the gears are over shiftin cause of that.
Set up right its the best 11s mechanical group you can buy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:50 pm 

Downshifting is perfect. No delay. I think I just have to develop a lighter touch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:52 pm 

I did decide to reduce cable tension to see if it makes a difference. Will report back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm 

Gavin929 wrote:
When the bike is in the stand the shifting is perfect. When I am casually riding the shifting is perfect. BUT, when I am riding hard I am over-shifting the rear derailleur when going for an easier gear. Is Campy just more sensitive at the shift lever?

If it is working on stand and working under normal loads then it is working, and u should not mess with cable tension, especially if shifts down ur cassette r also working. it sounds like u r simply applying too much force to shifting when u r under hard efforts....practice finesse.

My 2013 Cervelo R5

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm 
  • 10.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 86 components

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:09 pm 

I've installed a fair bit of it.. I reckon a quarter turn or 2 less tension will help