THEY ARE REAL!!!! I HELD TWO OF THEM!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS!!! MY HEART IS ABOUT TO EXPLOADE IT"S BEATING SO FAST!!!

For those of you who remember last year my machinist told me he had the owner of fly sports approach him. Well today I was at another shop to get an order to get some parts laser cut and I asked out of curiosity if they do laser engraving. I then asked if they have ever heard of fly sports. The lady walks me into the office and on the floor are TWO fly sports drive side crank arms!

THEY EXIST!!!!
:unbelievable:

Don't ask for pictures, due to confidentiality I'm not allowed to, but I practically begged. I explained the on going struggle of people not receiving the goods and he said he would look into it. Unfortunalty he could not give me any contact information either. BUt he says he has done several batches of the cranks.

The cranks themselves are not too much to look at. Both sets I looked at were polished, and very light. The axle is welded beautifully to the crank arm, and is a little bit smaller in diameter then the new shimano dura ace axle. The crank arms themselves are rather small, no oversize diameter or anything.

Man, I don't know what else to say, but I held them and they are good. But they are also bad. Someone who can't provide a product that someone pays hundreds for is a piece.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Now your just teasing us. Don't go and get everyones hopes up. Come on fess up....your just toying with our emotions.

number_22

by number_22

WOW ! Cool, I`m really interested in what`s going on with those Fly Sports guys.

Superlite

by Superlite

Now your just teasing us. Don't go and get everyones hopes up. Come on fess up....your just toying with our emotions

Dude, If I'm lying may I burn and be forever kicked off this board. I held them! I almost felt a tear on my face.

I'm going to see if I can convince the laser cutter to have him contact me.

THEY ARE REAL!

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Crack me up SL! Good job on the scouting!

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Personally, I don't care how good a product is, if a company has THIS many problems and has such money issues that they can't provide their goods in a timely manner after receipt of funds, I don't want them.

Having a great product is only one piece of the equation.

bobalou

by bobalou

"THEY ARE REAL!!!! I HELD TWO OF THEM!"

I think if you were talking about Pamela Anderson it would be something to get excited about .. but these crankarms, although probably not vaporware, are about as close to it as you can come.

Plus, it doesn't appear that there are any valid reviews of them. Dynamik has them and he says they're reasonably stiff but don't think that's enough history of users or mileage to really judge. But it does appear you can judge their customer service is awful, maybe even bordering on fraud, or at the least, incompetance!

Until someone that races has used them and put say 5000k on them and raves about their lightness and stiffness then pass .. I think the engineering design is questionable also. Ti cranks welded at the axel? Possibly flexy or prone to failure. If I wanted a new crank I'd rather wait for the new SL K-force FSA cranks. Good company, good service, good products and proven engineering.

zoey

by zoey

bobalou wrote:"THEY ARE REAL!!!! I HELD TWO OF THEM!"

I think if you were talking about Pamela Anderson it would be something to get excited about .. but these crankarms, although probably not vaporware, are about as close to it as you can come.

Plus, it doesn't appear that there are any valid reviews of them. Dynamik has them and he says they're reasonably stiff but don't think that's enough history of users or mileage to really judge. But it does appear you can judge their customer service is awful, maybe even bordering on fraud, or at the least, incompetance!

Until someone that races has used them and put say 5000k on them and raves about their lightness and stiffness then pass .. I think the engineering design is questionable also. Ti cranks welded at the axel? Possibly flexy or prone to failure. If I wanted a new crank I'd rather wait for the new SL K-force FSA cranks. Good company, good service, good products and proven engineering.

:exactly:

:goodpost:
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Superlite

by Superlite

bobalou wrote:
"THEY ARE REAL!!!! I HELD TWO OF THEM!"

I didn't make my post to discus whether or not the product is good or to discuss the problems he has getting people their cranks.

Just made the post because I have seen them and know that they are out there being made.

cadence90

by cadence90

zoey wrote:
bobalou wrote:"THEY ARE REAL!!!! I HELD TWO OF THEM!"

"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Superlite

by Superlite

I don't know why you ( cadence, zoey, and bobalou) responded in the way you did, you act like I'm trying to sell these things, read my whole post more carefully. I'm just posting to say that they are in fact out there and being made. I agree with your original post boba, just read mine more carefully. ( the last line.)

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I agree with SL on this one....he wasn't making an endorcement or making a review. He just said he saw them being made.

Everyone on this forum knows what kind of company Fly-Sports is.....he was just pointing out that he saw them. What's wrong with that???

bobalou

by bobalou

Alright.. fair is fair. SL, your point is taken. But your last line is followed by other lines where you seem pretty excited about them existing. My point is basically, I'd be more excited about holding .. well, I think you got that point. :twisted:

I seem to remember a previous thread about CarbonLord. Remember that? Now, I'm not saying anything about that guys cranks as I don't know anyone that has them and I would never buy them myself, but I have to give credit to that guy. He actually came on the board and defended his product. Whether you like him or the cranks or not, I think you got to give the guy some dap for coming on the board and defending himself.

OK, I only bring that up as an example. The fly-sports guys .. I sure as hell would like to see THEM come on this board and defend themselves. How likely is that to happen?! :roll:

And I think it's a valid point - to quote you:

superlite wrote:Don't ask for pictures, due to confidentiality I'm not allowed to, but I practically begged. I explained the on going struggle of people not receiving the goods and he said he would look into it. Unfortunalty he could not give me any contact information either. BUt he says he has done several batches of the cranks.

So, why the air of secrecy?? If they've got a product, they should stand behind it, show their faces and let photo's be shown to prospective buyers.

And, I don't think it's a separate issue.. the company's integrity is at least as important as the product.

number_22

by number_22

bobalou wrote:I seem to remember a previous thread about CarbonLord. Remember that? Now, I'm not saying anything about that guys cranks as I don't know anyone that has them and I would never buy them myself, but I have to give credit to that guy. He actually came on the board and defended his product. Whether you like him or the cranks or not, I think you got to give the guy some dap for coming on the board and defending himself.

Just read the thread about CarbonLord, I own a pair of cranks from him and I never had a problem with them, they`re working great and are lightweight. I would rather trust him, than bash his products and rave about products that weren`t actually tested by anyone and manufactured by a company that rips off people.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Damn not this crap again...