Advice - please - smoothest hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bill F

by Bill F

I'm looking to build a new front wheel for TT. Weight is a super issue but would appreciate some advice on the hub with the least bearing resistence. I have built wheels with Campy, Shimano, Tune, etc., etc. and price is not a primary consideration

Bill F

by Bill F

Correction. My post should read "weight is NOT a super issue"....... :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

Zipp is very smooth, but much drag from the freewheel when not pedalling.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I'm probably opening a can of worms but I've been riding my Dura Ace hubs lately and they are smooth and have little bearing resistance.
The bearings are free in the hub ( no carrier) and they are larger than my other wheels. If a bearing is twice as large in dia will it spin half as slow given the same wheel rpm?

Joel

by Joel

No, when the wheel does 100 rpm, the bearing will do 100 rpm, no matter how big it is. The bearing will spin even faster (larger route in same time) when it's bigger. But the contact area will be bigger and the load will be better divided.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Have you tried or evaluated DT Swiss?

Their "Hugi" (pronounced Her-gee) range is probably the best hubs I have ever used - Phonak also use their hubs.

I use their XR4.1 Rims on my Bianchi MTB, and I can say that my experience with them is very positive.

Cyco

by Cyco

Joel wrote:No, when the wheel does 100 rpm, the bearing will do 100 rpm, no matter how big it is. The bearing will spin even faster (larger route in same time) when it's bigger

If the outer race is doing 100rpm the larger the ball the slower it has to spin. Try this as a mental picture wheel rolls along the road at a constant velocity which does more revolutions: the one the size of a jockey wheel of one the size of a road wheel?
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Cyco wrote:
Joel wrote:No, when the wheel does 100 rpm, the bearing will do 100 rpm, no matter how big it is. The bearing will spin even faster (larger route in same time) when it's bigger

If the outer race is doing 100rpm the larger the ball the slower it has to spin. Try this as a mental picture wheel rolls along the road at a constant velocity which does more revolutions: the one the size of a jockey wheel of one the size of a road wheel?

Exactly. That's also why you have to calibrate the wheel size into your bike computer or HRM.

jer

by jer

Dura-ace and probably Record have labyrinth (zero contact) seals.

Joel

by Joel

danielgillett wrote:
Cyco wrote:

Exactly. That's also why you have to calibrate the wheel size into your bike computer or HRM.

No, the outside of the wheel has a higher speed. The hub does as much rpm as the rim -if this is not so you have strange spokes :lol: - and because the diameter of the rim is bigger than the diameter of the hub, the speed is higher. But I think it's not about speed. I think that bigger bearings are better, altough their speed is bigger.

martin

by martin

Bill F wrote:I'm looking to build a new front wheel for TT. Weight is a super issue but would appreciate some advice on the hub with the least bearing resistence. I have built wheels with Campy, Shimano, Tune, etc., etc. and price is not a primary consideration

The influence of bearing resistance in the total ammount of rolling resistance of a bicycle is lower than the measuring error.
The levers involved are 300mm (outer diameter of the whole wheel) against ~12mm (diameter of BB on hub)

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

tigermon

by tigermon

Hey, are we talking about linear or angular speed here?

Irish

by Irish

Try removing the grease from the hub/bearings & using parafin instead.The lower viscosity of parafin will reduce the drag in the hub but the parafin will have to be replaced before each event(the grease hole in campag hubs is handy for this).My 2c worth!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

use ceramic bearings :lol: