tools

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

88a

by 88a

I was just wondering what kind of tools you guys carry on rides. I have to admit, with the exception of an inner tube and mini pump, I don't carry any tools. Ever. And I've never broken down. (Okay, I broke down once: I smashed my rear wheel into an omega symbol, but the only tool that helped then was my cell phone.)
Ron

Tippster

by Tippster

I ride both XC and road on my mtb.

my road rides are a commute to work. 15miles each way. Takes me around 40 to 45 minutes.

Only punctured twice in 18 months. Both times when I had pulled off the main road onto a side road. I'm running Conti GP 26 x 1 tyres with Spec 1-1.15 tubes.

For the trip into work and back I carry only a pump (max psi rated at 100 - but I've only ever managed to get 70psi out of it), some patches and a power link.

I dont see the benefit of carrying a tool for such a short trip. On two occassions I have broken my chain at the power link. Both times while track standing at traffic lights. Having just dropped down into an easier gear to prepare for stopping. The gear hadn't properly tracked over to a cog on the cassette. I pull away and pop - chain snaps.

Now I also carry a spare power link.

Off-road XC, I carry a multi-tool Topeak Alien, spare tube, pump, power link. Off-road the chances of neading to change seat height, adjust bolts etc is greater, hence I carry the tool. My chances of a flat are greater too, hence the tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

doesn't matter what bike I am on: spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, Crank Brothers multi-tool.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

88a wrote:I was just wondering what kind of tools you guys carry on rides. I have to admit, with the exception of an inner tube and mini pump, I don't carry any tools. Ever. And I've never broken down. (Okay, I broke down once: I smashed my rear wheel into an omega symbol, but the only tool that helped then was my cell phone.)
Ron

Hey there, i brought up this topic awhile back see the thread here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2536&highlight=lightest+multi+tool

I carry that tool, a Park tire lever, a tube, a $5 bill and a copy of my insurance card all in a ziploc bag Along with that carbon pump that is out there.

jeremyb

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

I typically ride fairly long rides. I carry...

2 tubes
2 CO2 bottles with tiny little adapter (forgot who makes it)
2 tire levers (Specialized)
5mm allen wrench
4mm allen wrench
copy of my drivers licence and my medical insurance card
money

All the above in a tightly wrapped ziplock bag (it's surprisingly small)

And typically on the first ride after I install a new chain, I take a small chain breaker with me. After one ride though, I always leave it at home after that.

cell phone too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Road:
SKS Wese mini pump.

Spare tube
Parktool patches
Tyre levers

Sigma mini tool
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!