reynolds disk

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jer

by jer

I heard from a co-worker that reynolds had a 900g disk on display at the wildflower triathlon this year. Has anyone else heard anything about it?

gentri

by gentri

haven't really heard much but i've read a few articles.
Here is the website, hope it helps.

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/Disc.asp

by Weenie

gerry

by gerry

steve hed helped the reynolds guys out with it. he's too nice for his own good. think of it as the perfect combination between a zipp and a hed disc wheel and you'll get the reynolds. light but a great lenticular shape.

the only down side i have on it is the freehub. it uses a similar if not the same edco freehub as the zipp (and many others) . i guess it's cheap and they can switch from campy to shimano quite easily. the edco freehub has a tonne of drag to it. if you stop pedalling it's like putting on a brake. if you pedal backward on a bike stand not only will it stop a wheel from spinning but will accelerate it in the opposite direction. if you are ok with a zipp though you'll be ok with the reynolds.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

they are coming out with a full carbon clincher disk at interbike. That's what I want!

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

gerry wrote:.... the edco freehub has a tonne of drag to it. if you stop pedalling it's like putting on a brake. if you pedal backward on a bike stand not only will it stop a wheel from spinning but will accelerate it in the opposite direction.

Doesn't matter. You should be pedalling all the time anyway, unless you're braking into a turn. In which case the drag will save your brake blocks a bit!

by Weenie

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Edco hubs..bad sign! I had Zipp 404 pair and rear hub was brokenb soon.

They make in Germany one light full carbon disk and it's lens also.... :P

Get it?