HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:52 pm 

What about dry rot? I could see putting my aged tire on the bike and then at the first bump "ka-POW", big spit down the side. :D

I seem to remember reading in Bicycle Magazine that it's good to age clinchers one year. In the same article some guy said he could tell by biting them if they were "ripe" to ride. :lol: [/i]

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:23 pm 

tom2517 wrote:
C-40 wrote:
So did Lance ride the Madonne SSL or the SL on the time trial?

Once again Frankie showed his bike beofe the climb and said that he was using the SL but the SSL was made especially for this climb-

Does anybody know for sure??????

I believe Lance rode the SL, SL is right on the limit already and there were some questions regarding to the rigidity of SSL. But of course, it's too difficult to tell from pictures since both bikes pretty much looked the same.

It's for sure now, Trek's website said Lance rode the SL. SL was already too light that they had to use heavier bottle cages and add a computer to pass the UCI limit. The SSL was just too light so they don't even bother wit it.

Trek also said the SL along with the special wheels will be available to the public soon, and if you want, you can even get the same Lance paint scheme. It will be expensive though, because on NY Times today a Trek official said Lance's bike will be on the market for $7500 and I suspect it's the SL he is talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:24 pm 

Lance was using Clement Seta tubies +/-180-200g each

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:50 pm 

tom2517 wrote:

Trek also said the SL along with the special wheels will be available to the public soon, and if you want, you can even get the same Lance paint scheme. It will be expensive though, because on NY Times today a Trek official said Lance's bike will be on the market for $7500 and I suspect it's the SL he is talking about.

I Thought I heard 6000 € frame only? Or could that be the SSL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:26 pm 

Adri wrote:
tom2517 wrote:

I Thought I heard 6000 € frame only? Or could that be the SSL?

The story from NY Times and according to the Trek spokesman was that there will be two bikes available from this years TDF, one is $4800 and the other $7500. I assume that the cheaper one is got to be the Madone that the rest of the team rides and the $7500 the Madone SL.

My local newspaper SJM had an article awhile ago saying that Trek was deciding whether to produce the SSL or not, I guess since Lance didn't ride it in the tour, they might have decided against it. But who knows, maybe they will do it anyway, or next year.

By the way, the same article said if they produce it, it will be $10k US dollar, for the whole bike. And that would be a good reason not to make it because $10k bikes is not going to sell well.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4