HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:44 am
Posts: 640
Location: Boulder, CO
bobalou wrote:
Have you read either or both of his books? He defends himself just fine there. Read, dude. Hear what he says, my opinion don't mean much. :D


Tricky Dick Virenque wrote himself a fine book proving that he had never done drugs...titled "Ma Verite" (My Truth)..too bad in the end it was ONLY his truth and not the real worlds ;) (note: I am not saying Armstrong is a doper because he and Richard both wrote books..that'd be a real stretch)..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:56 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 101
Location: U.S.
Might as well get all this talk accusing people of doping out of your systems... because in another few years, tweaking genetics will make all doping tests obsolete. Every athlete (who can afford it) will simply trick their body into creating all the correct chemicals through genetic manipulation.

End of "doping" as we know it... end of doping tests... but not an end to unproveable allegations.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am
Posts: 1610
And this from Bernard Hinault re: Greg LeMond.
You knew this was coming....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2438

Quote:
Hinault Criticizes Lemond and Ullrich
Say what you will about Bernard Hinault, but two things are clear: he was without a doubt one of the greatest cyclists ever, and he says whatever the hell he wants to. If you want some candid words, just talk to Hinault, he always has an opinion, and for the most part, though sometimes a bit harsh, he speaks the truth.

In the past couple of days, Hinault has toed the line on Greg LeMond's recent comments on Lance Armstrong, as well as the ever-popular Jan Ullrich debate.

First, on Lemond, who openly insinuated that he believes Mr. Armstrong to be, for lack of a better term, doped to the gills...

"This is something that keeps coming back, and I think that some of it may be linked to LeMond's jealousy of Armstrong. The fact is that Armstrong has never tested positive. And as long as you don't have evidence I don't see how you can accuse him."

There is indeed no love lost to this DAY between Hinault and LeMond is there?

And now for Jan Ullrich and Hinault's take on it all...

"When Ullrich won the Tour the first time, he won it by a large margin, and was the best in the peloton. Then he did all these stupid things, and exaggerated it all in the winter. He has never achieved that same level again. Yeah, I am a bit disappointed."

When asked whether or not he might be able to win the Tour again... "When one looks at what has happened in the past five or six years, it's pretty hard to believe. On the day that Armstrong retires, Ullrich will have 30 young riders who will all be ready to challenge him. There is Basso, there's Valverde and Cunego, who just won the Giro in an impressive manner at 22. These youngsters have the temperament and they won't deliver any gifts. It will be hotly contested."

What do you think is the cause for Ullrich's weak performance so far this year? Hinault: "I ask myself: has he done everything that was necessary? He rode well at the Tour de Suisse, but now there's nothing doing. With him it always has to do with the kilos. When someone is overweight, you have to do a lot more to lose that weight, and at a certain point, you lose that necessary energy. I once got a little out of hand over the winter and subsequently suffered, but after that it registered with me. After that, I never took on more than 2 or 3 extra kilos over the winter, because it was so tough to come back into good form. You just can't let it get out of hand over the winter."

_________________
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am
Posts: 92
la confidential highlights a positive drug test by lance. it was for a simulant and was deamed insignificant so he was let off.

of course kelly white the 100m world champion was found positive for a simulant that they thought was insignificant. turns out it her and everybody testing positve for "the clear", thg designer steriod had this in their sample. insignificant to anyone not in on the lastest drugs.

drug users are way ahead of the testers. never testing positive means absolutely nothing these day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am
Posts: 1011
cadence90 wrote:
And this from Bernard Hinault re: Greg LeMond.
You knew this was coming....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2438


Thanks for bringing the subject back OT Cadence! I forgot it was about LeMond.

I'm afraid it will go back to doping though.

gerry wrote:
la confidential highlights a positive drug test by lance. it was for a simulant and was deamed insignificant so he was let off


Yes.. where you getting your recent news from, the cycling almanac? :) That was reported in 99 when Armstrong won his first tour. He got pre-approval for a cream that had a steroid in it for a saddle sore.

Racing Aardvark wrote:
bobalou wrote:
Have you read either or both of his books? He defends himself just fine there. Read, dude. Hear what he says, my opinion don't mean much. :D


Tricky Dick Virenque wrote himself a fine book proving that he had never done drugs...titled "Ma Verite" (My Truth)..too bad in the end it was ONLY his truth and not the real worlds ;) (note: I am not saying Armstrong is a doper because he and Richard both wrote books..that'd be a real stretch)..


Virenque seems to have paid his dues for what he did. And you're right to call it a stretch (armstrong doping because Virenques bad example) .. Armstrong has a heck of allot to lose if he is doping, lots more then Virenque or anyone else for that matter. Like 5+ TdF titles, multi-millions in endorsements, a foundation for cancer survivors.. the list goes on.

I found this article by Vaughn Trevi and Matt Decanio which I think puts some real insight into the subject. He also highlights that one can win clean and perform better w/o doping.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6472


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am
Posts: 1610
bobalou wrote:
I found this article by Vaughn Trevi and Matt Decanio which I think puts some real insight into the subject. He also highlights that one can win clean and perform better w/o doping.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=6472

Nice article, Bobalou. Very well written.
I thought I saw Matt Decanio selling a bunch of his stuff (team kits) on eBay a few months back, that was strange to see....

_________________
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am
Posts: 92
that article is just why lemond is saying lance is doped. almost everybody is on it. the pressure is intense and that guy is a nobody compared to lance. every team he was on had dopers and it was second string time compare to the tour guys.

lance has too much to loose? one could think he has gained so much with drugs he has so much to loose by going off them.

the first article talks about how the riders have to stand up for themselves and ask for that level playing ground. as charlie francis has said "it is a level playing ground, just a different one then you thought."

i don't hear anyone in the peloton bitching about millar. what cyclist is pushing to really clean up the sport? not even lance. everyone is quiet because they don't want to make their jobs harder. it's dangerous to take a piece out of miller he might just turn you in if you piss him off.

again it's a boys club. if you loved cycling so much it was your life you would not want to see it spoiled by drugs. but when you ask a pro how bad cycling is for doping they say "oh not that bad, mostly rumors."

nobody dopes in grade school. in high school a few kooks do. on to college where it is more popular. the article shows the big league feeders are doped to the hilt. why would this all of the sudden stop at the higher ranks when the pressure to win, stay on a team, and maintain a livelihood is so much greater.

i think it's great for a big name like lemond who cares about cycling to start asking the sport for a level playing field. i think people that say cycling isn't over run with drugs have their head in the sand. stop being so naive. turning your back to the problem won't help.

it seems people need a picture of lance with a needle sticking out of his arm before they wake up. if doping works so well and the world's best are doing it how can he be crushing everyone around clean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am
Posts: 1011
gerry wrote:

Blad da da blab blab blab #2



Hey dude. Bellview lecture symposium called again - they asked for their speach back AGAIN!

I liked the "guys in white coats" lecture more, that was great! :lol: :lol:

Do you have any more of that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am
Posts: 92
yah, well i slept with your wife!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:34 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: New York City
Guys relax, this is getting out of hand. no one dopes till you prove they dope, those are the rules. but just because lance passes all the test and he says he doesnt, does not mean he does not dope.

i forget the name of the guy who has been doping for years, passed all the test and then admitted he was doping. so, i think you can dope and not be caught, and it could be what alot of the guys in the cycling world are doing, but i guess we will not know. they are steps ahead of detection, they have ways to mask their doping, or new drugs that can not be detected.

whatever it is, it does not matter, because their is nothing we can do about it. unless they come up with new test that are 100% effective, and detect everything. their will always be new drugs, and it takes time to develop a method to detect them, so i guess we will always see people looking for the edge, and companies looking for ways to cheat the system and provide athletes with that edge they want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Detroit-USA
spytech wrote:
no one dopes till you prove they dope, those are the rules. but just because lance passes all the test and he says he doesnt, does not mean he does not dope.


Even this opening paragraph is nonsense- How can you say in the same breath that no one dopes......and just because LA passes the test does not mean he does not dope? (Meaning he dopes.....)

He is either innocent until proven guilty or you agree with the white labcoat people- In American justice, there are VERY rare times where one is innocent but guilty- remember OJ? Well the facts were pretty decisive but the glove did not fit.

So let's move on and ask the question does Jan dope? How about Basso?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:34 pm
Posts: 1652
Location: New York City
C-40 wrote:
spytech wrote:
no one dopes till you prove they dope, those are the rules. but just because lance passes all the test and he says he doesnt, does not mean he does not dope.


Even this opening paragraph is nonsense- How can you say in the same breath that no one dopes......and just because LA passes the test does not mean he does not dope? (Meaning he dopes.....)

He is either innocent until proven guilty or you agree with the white labcoat people- In American justice, there are VERY rare times where one is innocent but guilty- remember OJ? Well the facts were pretty decisive but the glove did not fit.

So let's move on and ask the question does Jan dope? How about Basso?


maybe they all do (dope), but i was trying to say that their have been cases where people do dope and have not been caught. i am not saying he dopes, but if he does, they are smart about it (use undetectable drugs, or other drugs to mask the ones they take).

so yes, they are all innocent till proven guilty, but just because we can not prove them guilty with the justice system we have, doesnt mean they are not really doping, do not be ignorant, the possibility is there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am
Posts: 92
C-40 wrote:

So let's move on and ask the question does Jan dope? How about Basso?


it's a level playing field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 554
Location: Detroit-USA
gerry wrote:
C-40 wrote:

So let's move on and ask the question does Jan dope? How about Basso?


it's a level playing field.



So Gerry, you must have info that no one else has.......and it is not a level playing field....... have you been waching the tour lately? According to you, Lance uses more drugs than anyone else......

I like the earlier forum entry when someone reminded Gerry that when Lance was 13 he was defeating adult triatheletes........was he taking drugs then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:11 am
Posts: 92
we have a thirteen year old girl here that is going the same. not the world's best triathletes however, not at world class events either. let's see some results and dates.

i know lance competed well against pigg and such. i'm not denying he's talented or that he wouldn't do well off drugs but there is no way a clean athlete can beat doped atheltes at the highest level of cycling. drugs are worth too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:24 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bluesea, Google Adsense [Bot], kbbpll, Yahoo [Bot] and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB