Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:17 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:43 am 

I stumbled across an excellent deal on a custom Serotta Legend Ti frame that would be just about perfect for me.

The price would be 700€ for the frameset. A good deal it would seem to me?

I would like to put modern parts on the frame and make it my main road bike.

The fork is a 1" fork, and the seat tube is 27,2mm. What options in terms of forks, stems and handlebars do I have?

I would like to put on a straight bladed, rather narrow fork, like the Enve 2.0, any stem that would be suitable and classic bend handlebars.

Any recommendations on which brands still make compatible parts, and how to make this a timeless and classy build?

I will most likely put a Campagnolo Chorus or Record group on the bike and low profile carbon wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:56 pm 

700€ is a good but not a great deal. The fork is not the original and that drops the price considerably. You may sand it in order to remove the logos and add just a clear coat layer.

Other than that it is a lovely frame to start with. Then you search for a better headset, a proper seatpost clamp, a nice round seatpost, stem, and bars. You can go for either polished alu components or full carbon with minimal logos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 pm 

you can use any stem you want, as long as you use a shim. For headsets-forks, you can get quite a lot 1inch one types, as it seems, 1inch forks are either very high end lightweight ones, or the cheapest hi-tensile steel crap, no midway.

The only thing I'd worry about is the tyre clearance, I guess the frame was designed for skinny rubber, and you could encounter some problems when trying to mount a contemporary wide wheelset with more voluminous tyres.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:53 pm 

If you have to replace the fork, then Nashbar sells a 1 inch carbon blade, aluminum steerer fork for about $84 today. Are you sure its 1 inch? The picture looks like it is 1.125". Stem is a titanium Ibis. If it fits that would be nice. If not then it should sell for a good price. Chris King makes 1" headsets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:56 pm 

the guy is in France no nashbar ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:55 pm 

Thank you for the replies.

I'll have to think about it and see if I can find more information and reviews on the frame online.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:09 am 

romalor wrote:
the guy is in France no nashbar ;)

I just checked the Nashbar website and they ship to lots of different countries. Including France. Even price things in Euros on their website. Might not be cost effective, but our European friends can buy from Nashbar and have the products shipped to their house. Of course Europe has lots of websites where everything seems to be much cheaper than the US. Even with VAT, its probably best to buy over there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:55 am 

Xxcycle is French with kor of goodies for cheap. I would check them

Tapatalkkal küldve az én P01Y eszközömről

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13 am 
Administrator

An excellent frame for a build. I would scrap everything but the frame. It's very deserving of a Chris King headset. For a fork and its vintage a Wound Up fork would not be out of place but a more modern slightly skinner legs straight fork would be more appealing to the eyes. Easton used to make a 1" EC90 straight leg. Search Ebay for a fork or post a wanted ad here