The tubular sealant thread.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

fdegrove wrote:
mrowkoob wrote:I´m kinda confused. I thought prestavalves were non removable? How do you guys get stans in a road tubular?

Hi,

You have both removable and non-removable presta valves.
Over the past couple of years a lot of manufacturers have given up on removable cores due to manufacturing costs.
If you're facing an inner tube with a non-removable core, be that for a clincher or a tubular, you can still get the latex in through pressurized injection.
A syringe or a pump will do the trick....

Ciao, :wink:

Come to think of it then one could just inject stans with a syringe through the tirewall (not that I´m going to but in theory)

Bringing home some syringes from work today. :wink: And ordering some stans.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

Alfie

by Alfie

mrowkoob wrote:I wonder if anyone has tried Schwalbe doc blue?

I got some doc blue today, it is easy to dose and come's standard with a valve core remover. I did some testing on my tubes with different needles to simulate thorns, and it works!!!! I still have to do some real world testing but I don't think the result will be much different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Anyone know if the valve cores on Vittoria tubulars are removable?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

Alfie

by Alfie

Yes, the valvecores on my corsa evo cx tubes are removable

JTC

by JTC

So.....do we have a consensus on what works best? I've got some Contis with butyl tubes and Veloflex and Vittoria with latex tubes. I would like to use one product on both. Stans the best option?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

JTC wrote:So.....do we have a consensus on what works best? I've got some Contis with butyl tubes and Veloflex and Vittoria with latex tubes. I would like to use one product on both. Stans the best option?

Hi,

Tufo works with both latex and butyl inner tubes, so does Vittoria Pitt Stop which is easier to carry with you on the road.

Not sure about Stan's but I don't see why it wouldn't work, just not too sure about how it does when tyre pressure is on the high side of the scale, say over 140 psi.

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Frasertri

by Frasertri

fdegrove, I have used Stan's in Tofo's with 180psi successfully! That means I've run over 1,000 miles after stopping a leak with Stan's, and maintaining that level of pressure. :)

I like a rough ride.... :twisted:

Cheers, Frasertri.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

How big is the can of Vittoria pit stop? Can I put it in my jersey pocket without it being too noticeable?

Danton

by Danton

It easily fits and it's very light too.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Anyone prophylactically squirting their tubulars with sealant before a flat? My LBS highly recommended a 2-3 ounces (56-85g - ouch!) when I mounted my new tubies. As I recall, they used Tufo and recommended Vittoria for future uses. Opinions?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Johnny Rad wrote:Anyone prophylactically squirting their tubulars with sealant before a flat? My LBS highly recommended a 2-3 ounces (56-85g - ouch!) when I mounted my new tubies. As I recall, they used Tufo and recommended Vittoria for future uses. Opinions?

Hi,

I'd only do that with tubulars I can't repair by hand (the "el cheapo" ones) as the stuff's only active for about 3 months and, should you suddenly flat, it makes the inner tube (if any) so slippery that the wheels becomes a nightmare to handle.
Other than that I hate to add weight and unbalance to my wheels for no particular reason.....
Oh, and I'm not sure Vittoria's Pitstop's actually meant to be used that way even though in theory I suppose you could.

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Danton

by Danton

If the sealant is as dense as water, then that's too much. I run less than that in my 2,1" UST tubeless MTB tyres and have plucked many thorns and cactus spikes out of the tyres but still no flat. So for a road tub, surely 20cl is enough? And a good idea too, be careful as some sealants can mess with latex...

Jurcy

by Jurcy

On the last ride(yesterday actually), I ride for about 30km, when(on steep descent) my Conti Sprinter leaks and holds on about 70 PSI. Then I use Geax(basically the same as Vittoria) Pit Stop Magnum and it infilate my rear tubular on about 100 PSI, enough to get me home. So, my point is, that in my case, the Pit Stop has worked.

And now, the tubular is looking good(holding pressure) on about 145 PSI.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

anyone using doc blue in conti comps?

reports of success above 100 psi?

Tubes6al4v

by Tubes6al4v

A new trend in tubeless MTB tires is to use CaffeLatex, a foaming latex based sealant. There are two major advantages to it:

- No amonia to dry out your rubber
- It foams to fill the entire cavity, being more effective at sealing flats NOT on the tread (i.e. sidewall and underside)

They make an on-road inflater as well: http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti ... l#espresso

The US distro is http://www.cantitoeroad.com/

I am going to order some for testing, but don't have a flat tubie right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com