The tubular sealant thread.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

NOTAWOFTAM wrote:
choylifut wrote:I've used both the Tufo and Vitoria product. I find the Vitoria works better than the Tufo, but Stan's - found at www.notubes.com - works far better than both of them. I've got a gash is in a Tufo Flexus cross tire that was nearly 4 mm long and it sealed it. I've sealed a couple of road tubulars with it that the Vitoria product wouldn't work on. The advantage to the Vitoria product is that it's presurized and will both inflate and seal which is crucial on the road. For punctures that the Vitoria can't handle give the Stan's a try before discarding the tire. Sometimes, you have to inflate the tire a few times and it may take overnight, but I find it works on more substantial punctures.

Nice review. Good to know. :D

But a Tufo tire us almost tubeless isnt it? I mean the tube in integrated into the tirewall. Would Stans work on other tubular tires than tufo´s?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frasertri

by Frasertri

Ditto on Stans - though I have only tried it on Tufo's myself. It was recommended by a guy who uses it in tubeless MTB tires, and the bottle says for tubeless.. I think it's something to do with the fluid needing to contact air under pressure to slidify, so the '2 wall' construction of tubed tires buggers the sealing...

Another source told me that Stans is simply re-labeled tire seating/sealant as used by vehicle tire fitters... Looks and smells the same - anyone here know for sure? I wouldn't doubt the tire seating fluid is much cheaper..... :wink:

bikeman71

by bikeman71

i've been using the geax tire sealant which i think is the same as the pit stop. i have used it twice with very different outcomes.

Both times were used on conti competition tubulars. the first time i flatted with a goathead in the front tire and used the entire bottle of geax with a perfect result. it sealed in seconds and i have been riding the tire ever since. the second time i picked up another goathead on the rear tire and again used the geax. this time after emptying the bottle into the tire, the tube failed around the valve stem. i guess this could be a coincedence, but it happened within seconds of filling the tire with the geax.

i wonder what could have caused this to happen. i tend to think it was the tire. i have been less than impressed with the conti competitions.

Danton

by Danton

You can use Stans or other sealants for MTB tubeless tyres, like Bontrager. But the point is, once you've poured the sealant inside the tub, is that it weighs more. Next, the sealant is usually only good for three months inside the MTB tubeless tyre, so in a tub I don't know what the life is. But it will be messy to remove and some of it will have dried inside.

So it's better to take a bottle of Vittoria Pitstop with you, which will seal the puncture and re-inflate the air loss.

Frasertri

by Frasertri

I put the Stans sealant in with a syringe ('cause I'm anal, and I don't like mess..) so I know EXACTLY how much is going in. 3cc's of Stans doesn't add much weight...!

I use a ten gauge I.V. catheter to get the messy stuff in the valve hole, which allows the air to escape WITHOUT the sealant splurging back out and making a mess. I recommend this method!

One thing I didn't mention is how good it works. Twice I punctured in races, and didn't lose enough air to warrant pumping the tub up! And I used a tub down to the threads - which I have never managed to do before. I think the Stans sealed/re-sealed >12 times thru the life of that particular Tufo. When it saves changing a tub in a race, THAT is worth a few grams to me. No question there. 8)

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Frasertri wrote:
I use a ten gauge I.V. catheter to get the messy stuff in the valve hole, which allows the air to escape WITHOUT the sealant splurging back out and making a mess. I recommend this method!

Could you take a picture of that and post it? I have trouble visualizing it. Thx!

Frasertri

by Frasertri

I'll try to get a picture when I can, but imagine a very thin plastic tube (diameter of about a millimeter) atached to a syringe, to thread through the valve stem (valve core removed) and pump the fluid in, allowing room for the displaced air to escape. The Stans sealant is a milk like consistency, and can easily be squeezed in thru a small tube like this. If you use the nozzle on the top of the bottle, the stuff gets all over the place!

Pictures will follow, when I get home tonight! :)

Cheers, Frasertri.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

bikeman71 wrote:i've been using the geax tire sealant which i think is the same as the pit stop. i have used it twice with very different outcomes.

Both times were used on conti competition tubulars. the first time i flatted with a goathead in the front tire and used the entire bottle of geax with a perfect result. it sealed in seconds and i have been riding the tire ever since. the second time i picked up another goathead on the rear tire and again used the geax. this time after emptying the bottle into the tire, the tube failed around the valve stem. i guess this could be a coincedence, but it happened within seconds of filling the tire with the geax.

i wonder what could have caused this to happen. i tend to think it was the tire. i have been less than impressed with the conti competitions.

Bikeman the geax and vittoria sealant are for tubulars with latex tubes. Conti has butyl tubes and that may be the cause of them not working with your latex sealant ;-)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

mrowkoob wrote:
bikeman71 wrote:i've been using the geax tire sealant which i think is the same as the pit stop. i have used it twice with very different outcomes.

Bikeman the geax and vittoria sealant are for tubulars with latex tubes. Conti has butyl tubes and that may be the cause of them not working with your latex sealant ;-)

Hi,

Actually Vittoria PittStop is supposed to work on both butyl and latex and it does.
Same goes for Tufo Sealant BTW.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Frasertri wrote:I'll try to get a picture when I can, but imagine a very thin plastic tube (diameter of about a millimeter) atached to a syringe, to thread through the valve stem (valve core removed) and pump the fluid in, allowing room for the displaced air to escape. The Stans sealant is a milk like consistency, and can easily be squeezed in thru a small tube like this. If you use the nozzle on the top of the bottle, the stuff gets all over the place!

Pictures will follow, when I get home tonight! :)

Cheers, Frasertri.

I guess it´s when you state allowing for the air to escape. I´m assuming you are adding the sealant to a deflated tire with the valve core removed?

choylifut

by choylifut

mrowkoob wrote:
NOTAWOFTAM wrote:
choylifut wrote:I've used both the Tufo and Vitoria product. I find the Vitoria works better than the Tufo, but Stan's - found at www.notubes.com - works far better than both of them. I've got a gash is in a Tufo Flexus cross tire that was nearly 4 mm long and it sealed it. I've sealed a couple of road tubulars with it that the Vitoria product wouldn't work on. The advantage to the Vitoria product is that it's presurized and will both inflate and seal which is crucial on the road. For punctures that the Vitoria can't handle give the Stan's a try before discarding the tire. Sometimes, you have to inflate the tire a few times and it may take overnight, but I find it works on more substantial punctures.

Nice review. Good to know. :D

But a Tufo tire us almost tubeless isnt it? I mean the tube in integrated into the tirewall. Would Stans work on other tubular tires than tufo´s?

Yes. It will work on a tire with a latex tube. All three of these sealants are similar, but the Stan's appears to have more solids. If it does indeed seal, it will stay sealed and doesn't need to be re applied when it dries out. I have an applicator that looks like this http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php ... ucts_id/46

Of course, the ideal repair is to remove and replace the tube and boot the tire (if needed). However, a repair using sealant allows you to leave the tire glued to the rim.

Separately, I've ceased using the Tufo sealant it tends to congeal while sitting on the shelf where the Stans stays thin for it's lifetime.

shn750

by shn750

Stans look pretty good. I think I will try it out. I've used the Tufo sealant with mixed results and it seems that the Tufo stuff won't seal holes over 2mm. The website says that it never dries. Tufo sealant gums up and hardens in the tube if stored too long. Also they even claim that you can reuse the sealant by removing it from an old tire (with a syringe) and putting it in the new tire. No more waste.

Check out their movie demo
http://www.notubes.com/moviedemo.php

Worth a try I guess.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

shn750 wrote:Stans look pretty good. I think I will try it out. I've used the Tufo sealant with mixed results and it seems that the Tufo stuff won't seal holes over 2mm. The website says that it never dries. Tufo sealant gums up and hardens in the tube if stored too long. Also they even claim that you can reuse the sealant by removing it from an old tire (with a syringe) and putting it in the new tire. No more waste.

Check out their movie demo
http://www.notubes.com/moviedemo.php

Worth a try I guess.

Hi,

Of its kind it's the best and has been tested to work with road tyres and tubulars alike at high PSI.

Tufo's messy to use, it dries up in the bottle as well so at the end of the day 1/3 of the package is total loss.
Only use it for cheap tubulars not worthy of real "tubular surgery" and than some....

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

allerge99 wrote:I've got 4 flat tubs sitting at home and ordered two cans of pit stop yesterday, i'll report back and let ya'll know how easy it was to use and if it'll hold up under high pressure.

So how does it work for you?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Are all valvestems removable for adding sealant?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com