SLR shaving?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

saletel

by saletel

any one ever shave down an SLR? i know superlite shaved down an old flite he had, i contemplated that, but it was either the red flite (which feels good) black flite (feels like ass, not broken in) Red slr (good) or black SLR (good)

so i pulled the cover off the red SLR. removed the padding, and busted out the dremel to the tail end to split the shell more. i'll post up pictures later, btw starting weight was 134. will have finished weight tomorrow

jeremyb

by jeremyb

saletel wrote:any one ever shave down an SLR? i know superlite shaved down an old flite he had, i contemplated that, but it was either the red flite (which feels good) black flite (feels like ass, not broken in) Red slr (good) or black SLR (good)

so i pulled the cover off the red SLR. removed the padding, and busted out the dremel to the tail end to split the shell more. i'll post up pictures later, btw starting weight was 134. will have finished weight tomorrow

Yeah I did, weight down to 111.9 grams

Starting weight was 147 grams with the cover on.

jeremyb
Attachments
aslrshaved.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielgillett

by danielgillett

Jeremy, I think your weight savings would have been more thorough, if you took the weight from the rear of the saddle, rather than comprimising comfort (if so).

Smahatma

by Smahatma

comfort and SLR in the same sentence? You are funny. :D :D :P

Joel

by Joel

I used to ride a Flite some years ago, then changed to SLR, which is more comfy. I once stripped an worn-out SLR, but after 2 days I bought a new one, because it's too un-comfy for me. I'll try to make it more comfy by drilling some holes in it.

Tippster

by Tippster

Try this shortcut from the MTB section:

Knut got his SLR down to 105g with a dremel.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hlight=slr

Not sure but I think there was another post in the MTB section on a detailed walkthrough of trimming down your old SLR to around 100g

Knut

by Knut

Yep, a dremel is all it takes... :D

http://www.korczak.dk/files/mtb/slr/

I'm not done though - will have to drill it and sand it down to save even more weight. Not for comfort mind you - it's pretty comfy even for 120+km roadrides on 1" slicks @100 PSI...

teutscher

by teutscher

mine is down to 90g. shaved on the outside and drilled some holes - 4 bigger ones in the middle and 3 on the left and right. they vary from 20mm to 9mm getting smaller towards the front, right and left side...

as my ass doesn't like the hard pure plastic feeling, i started to re-pad it with 2 layers of 3mm foam; 2 stripes, one on the left and one on the right whereas the second layer covers the whole saddle. as the white leather is still in ok condition, i'll re-use it (not to mention the look...)

saddle w/out leather and padding: 90g
new padding: 6g
leather: ~12-15g (not sure about this. it's not cut to fit the new shape yet. right now it's still 19g)

i guess, i'll end up at <110g which isn't superlight but quite ok for a padded and covered slr

*edit* anybody wanting to buy me a digicam? :D

saletel

by saletel

i've been thinking about putting the leather cover back on just to make it look normal so i wont get razzed at work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com