AC Magnesium 300 clincher wheels??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I have a chance to buy a set of these AC Mag wheels, built with sampin spokes. They weigh 1207 grams!!! Has anyone used these? are they durable for training? Give feedback!!

Coolhand

by Coolhand

Are they available now? Last I heard they were a work in progress. How solid is your seller? Have you actually seen the wheels in question? If the answer is no to any of these you may want to call American Classic directly.

The American Classic road hubs with the Spaim CX-Ray spokes is a very light, and pretty strong combo. I used that, along with the Deep V carbon Tubie rims for my race wheels.

Weight seems low too, as that exact same set up with the ultra light 350 rim is well over 1300 grams, and that is a really light rim.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

Hey Coolhand.

Same guy here too :)

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

This is what one member of this forum posted on a thread some days ago:

This list is out of date, the Am Classics Mg wheels have all been withdrawn from the market, too many problems with the Mg rim coatings I was told.

GHISALLO

by GHISALLO

I have a set and I love them. They are less than the 1220 gm quoted. Mine clock in at 1198gm on certified calibrated scale. They do have a weight limit though at 200 lbs according to AC. They also require carbon type brake pads (which were supplied). I have not put too many miles on these as they are my spares, but they are smooth, quiet and fast.

C-40

by C-40

Based on what I have read on this forum about American Classic and my limited interaction with the company, I find them to be a less than ideal company. Did anyone have any problems on the road with the magnesium wheels???? Do any pro teams use their inferior products??

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

C-40 wrote:Based on what I have read on this forum about American Classic and my limited interaction with the company, I find them to be a less than ideal company. Did anyone have any problems on the road with the magnesium wheels???? Do any pro teams use their inferior products??

I've heard of problems with their hubs, but nothing with their 350 or 420 rims. Are these problematic as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I had CR350 rims in last summer. Light?, yes, good?, no!

They are not weldet so brake surface will not hold solid. Leads pood and hitting braking. Klonk, klonk....

I had them build with AMC hubs and laser spokes 24/28. They were 1292g.

If you want good rims, I suggest getting DT RR1.1's (416-418g) or Zipp 280's (~290g).

But I'm still in shock how good are my Lightweights, ultra stiff and 1140g (492g/16 spokes+648g/DT-Free wheel). Tufo's are not fastest tubulars but they seem to last many km's and don't blow easilly. I use S3 Lite <215g's. I hope would bought them sooner and left those AMC's+2X pair Zipp's to store. But there was too much waiting time for those miracles.