HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 pm 

What you see here is (or better was) a 15 tooth TA Kheops alu cog. I never thought that Alu cogs would last, but seeing LA use these on L'Alpe D'Huez a couple of years ago made me buy a set. This one has less than 500 Km on it and some of the teeth are completely worn out and the chain is skipping with every pedal turn. It was used with a completely new Wipermann Titanium chain and only in good weather. Dont buy it........

Attachments:
TA2.jpg
TA2.jpg [ 73.87 KiB | Viewed 1521 times ]

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:44 pm 

It is especially the teeth which are made narrower for better shifting which are completely worn out.

Attachments:
TA.jpg
TA.jpg [ 78.85 KiB | Viewed 1507 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 pm 

Maybe it's because of the chain... a titanium chain just doesn't make any sense... it stretches too much and causes the sprockets to wear faster...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:04 pm 

Clarification: It is a Wippermann part titanium chain. It does not flex more than other chains because the main parts are of steel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 am 

It's a race only part, what do you expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:22 am 

Superlite wrote:
It's a race only part, what do you expect.

Exactly-- My American Classic Aluminum cassette states that it is a race only cassette and that it will only last about 1,000 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 pm 

Very clever answers. What does race only mean? This part have lasted what is the equivalent of 2 pro-races or 3 amateur races. Is that race only or is it race only as in "one race only". If it had lasted 1000 miles then OK, but now we are actually talking less than 300 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:41 pm 

Something also to consider, if you used it with a worn chain then it will last even less. A stretched train of any magnitude will quickly wear out any cassette, and an alloy cassette much faster. Alloy cassettes are fine to use for their purpose but it's critical that the chain be new when the cassette is new.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:08 am 

and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.

Attachments:
File comment: Left Ergo finger shifter unintentional weight loss
Ergone lever.JPG
Ergone lever.JPG [ 23.58 KiB | Viewed 958 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:23 am 
I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:03 am 

mises wrote:
and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.

You must have strong fingers...lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:46 pm 

danielgillett wrote:

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!

FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:35 pm 
TedB wrote:
danielgillett wrote:

FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.

I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 pm 

danielgillett wrote:
TedB wrote:
danielgillett wrote:

I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.

It was Millar himself who decided to leave the FD off. A big risk with the potholes etc in centre Paris. Every modern chainring with shifting help combined with a narrow chain will cause this problems on a bad road. Track chains are wider and so are the chainrings, with them and the excellent track it's (nearly) impossible to have the chain dropped from the chainring.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 pm