HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
What you see here is (or better was) a 15 tooth TA Kheops alu cog. I never thought that Alu cogs would last, but seeing LA use these on L'Alpe D'Huez a couple of years ago made me buy a set. This one has less than 500 Km on it and some of the teeth are completely worn out and the chain is skipping with every pedal turn. It was used with a completely new Wipermann Titanium chain and only in good weather. Dont buy it........


Attachments:
TA2.jpg
TA2.jpg [ 73.87 KiB | Viewed 1521 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
It is especially the teeth which are made narrower for better shifting which are completely worn out.


Attachments:
TA.jpg
TA.jpg [ 78.85 KiB | Viewed 1507 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:11 pm
Posts: 606
Maybe it's because of the chain... a titanium chain just doesn't make any sense... it stretches too much and causes the sprockets to wear faster...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
Clarification: It is a Wippermann part titanium chain. It does not flex more than other chains because the main parts are of steel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:01 pm
Posts: 2477
Location: Colorado
It's a race only part, what do you expect.

_________________
MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT! HUH!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 240
Location: St. Louis
Superlite wrote:
It's a race only part, what do you expect.


Exactly-- My American Classic Aluminum cassette states that it is a race only cassette and that it will only last about 1,000 miles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:34 pm
Posts: 222
Location: Mainhattan
Very clever answers. What does race only mean? This part have lasted what is the equivalent of 2 pro-races or 3 amateur races. Is that race only or is it race only as in "one race only". If it had lasted 1000 miles then OK, but now we are actually talking less than 300 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am
Posts: 1010
Something also to consider, if you used it with a worn chain then it will last even less. A stretched train of any magnitude will quickly wear out any cassette, and an alloy cassette much faster. Alloy cassettes are fine to use for their purpose but it's critical that the chain be new when the cassette is new.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:28 pm
Posts: 1769
Location: Unknown parameter
and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.


Attachments:
File comment: Left Ergo finger shifter unintentional weight loss
Ergone lever.JPG
Ergone lever.JPG [ 23.58 KiB | Viewed 958 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:23 am 
I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:34 pm
Posts: 1632
Location: New York City
mises wrote:
and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.


You must have strong fingers...lol :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:10 pm
Posts: 32
Location: New Orleans
danielgillett wrote:
I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!


FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:35 pm 
TedB wrote:
danielgillett wrote:
I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!


FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.


I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Belgium
danielgillett wrote:
TedB wrote:
danielgillett wrote:
I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!


FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.


I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.


It was Millar himself who decided to leave the FD off. A big risk with the potholes etc in centre Paris. Every modern chainring with shifting help combined with a narrow chain will cause this problems on a bad road. Track chains are wider and so are the chainrings, with them and the excellent track it's (nearly) impossible to have the chain dropped from the chainring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dj97223, Faceman78, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Johnnysmooth, Madone69, psbot [Picsearch], Run300, wangsanegara and 59 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Enve 45's Veloplugs dont fit?

in Road

Bianchi10

1

225

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 am

tsutaoka View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin mount for new Giant Contact SLR one piece stem/bar

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Horacio

29

3913

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 am

FETHA View the latest post


It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB