HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:05 pm 

I am currently choosing the drivetrain components for my race bike next season, and I need some advice as to how SRAM road components compare to each other.

Since I use an SRM crank and I've heard stories of poor shifting with SRAM front derailleurs, I will only be using SRAM shifters, brakes, RD, chain, and cassette. I am open to use whatever chainring and front derailleur combo will shift the best with a SRAM 10 speed chain.

Now---the internal components on SRAM Rival shifters are the same as the Force shifters, am I correct? So unlike Ultegra vs. Dura Ace Shimano shift levers, the only benefit from upgrading from SRAM Rival to Force shifters is the carbon fiber lever blade, a whooping 40g of weight savings. The rear derailleur is the same difference I believe--the only change from Rival to Force is the carbon hanger on the Force rear derailleur, a savings of only 20g. The chain and cassette are the same for both SRAM gruppos.

In other words--Unlike Shimano components, I think the only benefit from upgrading shifting components on SRAM is the weight savings.

Prove me wrong, or I'll save some dough and use SRAM Rival.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:05 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:56 pm 

While the proceeding comment won't get me nominated for WW of the year, I made the leap in the same fashion as you. I couldn't justify the extreme difference in dollars vs. the minor difference in weight between SRAM Force and Rival. I have Rival components on my bike and like it just fine. I have had some odd experiences with strange cable tension while the bike is bolted to a trainer, but I think this is normal. Also, since I am not a person "of means" I had quasi-gruppo built with everything but the SRAM Crankset and Brakes, so take that for what it's worth!
-efwd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 am 

You pretty much said it all.

I have installed both on bikes and cannot notice any difference apart from the bling, weight and the greens.

If those three factors don't bother you then just get rival.

With the bikes i have installed, i kept the customers cassette, chain, fd and cranks so basically couple of the customers only chose the SRAM shifters and RD.

As for my wife's bike, i gave her SRAM rd, shifters, brakes, DA chain and cranks, REcord cassette and fd.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: chainrings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:37 am 

It's looking as if SRAM Rival is the way to go. I tend to like the polished aluminum look more than carbon bling-bling anyway, everyone has carbon this-and-that now.

The main choice now are chainrings--I have DA 10 speed rings now that are very worn out and I'm having problems with the chain dropping between the chainrings. What front chainrings should I use to get the best shifting with a SRAM chain and Shimano front derailleur on a 53-39 SRM crank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 am 

Just my 2 cents, the SRAM Force and Rival are literally identical as far as the mechanical aspect of the groups, the only difference lies in the materials used. For example, the shifter levers, carbon vs. aluminum, on the brakes, Ti hardware vs. steel.

You won't notice a difference between the two groups, other then on the gram scale.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:33 pm 

I used the generic brand BBB for customers and no one complaints.

Also ran TA rings and shifts well too.

I think it is preference and also what you can find that will be compatible with SRM cranks.

If not, then get FSA rings that fits the SRM cranks.

Only had problems with the crank and not the rings (shifts fine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:47 pm 

+1 for generic chainrings. I have Rocket rings on my crankset and they work pretty well. I have had one instance of chain drop, and I think that was due to cable stretch and not adjusting the front mech. Once I did that, I haven't had any issues to speak of. Just my 2 cents.
-efwd

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:47 am 

Thanks for the advice, I ended up purchasing SRAM Rival today. I got a pretty good deal on ebay, around what dealer cost is I imagine.

$210 for the shifers, $60 for the rear derailleur, $45 for the cassette, and $15 for an ultegra 10spd front mech. I have enough chains for now, but I will purchase SRAM chains now that they are available.

For chainrings, I'll probably just get some DA 10spd rings again. They cost a ton, but work well and--not to mention--look great on an SRM crank.