HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:59 pm
Posts: 747
+1 fo Samu

He has so much CF on his hands... :shock:

_________________
www.oldklein.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:49 am 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Posts: 6724
Location: Drenthe, Holland
I was waiting for this topic to emerge! lol

_________________
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:02 pm
Posts: 490
Location: The Netherlands
My vote would be for Samu or Zakeen...

Maybe Samu this year and Adam next year after winning his first protour race 8) ?

_________________
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:25 am
Posts: 1140
Location: Tas, Aus
Samu and Felix for me, both of them aren't afraid to experiment instead of settling for somthing off the shelf.

I realise it's early but if we could add a poll it might help, I don't think it will but stuff like this always has the potential to turn into a public popularity contest, a bit of anonymity might encourage a few more people to vote.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:38 pm
Posts: 37
Location: leuven, belgium
simon!

_________________
harder, better, faster, stronger


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:50 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Wuustwezel, Belgium
simon (zahner)

_________________
2011 Cannondale Flash 29er (in order)
2008 Cannondale SuperSix
2007 Cannondale Taurine (for sale)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:59 pm
Posts: 987
Location: u.k
:D without a doubt either madcow or Lj they are both sound guys :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:35 pm
Posts: 1435
Location: Middle of nowhere, EU
To ZeroG (if the cranks come before 2007) :wink: , not to forget his big donation in the charity drive.

I think the likely candidates have allready been mentioned when do we vote?

:roll:

_________________
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:23 pm 
Offline
Shop Owner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:22 pm
Posts: 3531
Location: Tucson, Az.
I just sent C a s r a n a message saying that organizing the poll and voting is his responsibility as the current WW of the year.

This sounded reasonable, as the polling should be passed down from year to year, because people will come and go from forums. Hopefully he will take on the challenge. :twisted:

2ndly, I'm honored that a few people nominated me, but I feel it's unwarranted. Unlike a lot of others here, this is related to my job. I call it research.

The ones that stand out the most to me are the ones that contribute out of pure love of WW. pk0r seems to embody the spirit of WW, he always is informed about the latest and greatest WW item. He has perhaps one of the nicest WW bikes ever built, with an incredible attention to detail. This to me embodies what WW should be about. So my nomination has to go to him(though he should post more, he is a fountain of information). There are alot of other people I'd like to name, but won't for fear of leaving anyone out.

_________________
Fair Wheel Bikes

Fair Wheel Blog

Friend me on Facebook for behind the scenes updates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:28 am 
Offline
WW of the Year 2005
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Posts: 3237
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Ok, here we go. First of all, thanks to make this topic sticky, Frankie-B; and thx to Madcow for the advice and support.


So it looks like I'm getting a successor as Weight Weenie of the Year... up to you to find out who. Seeing all the nominations here made me thinking why I was ever elected last year: when it comes to a valuable WW member, I think I am really no challenge to most of the nominees... but ok, let's go on.



This is how I plan to organize this years election:

- In this thread I ask each of you to make nominations. The deadline for the nominations is Wednesday 13 December, at about 24h00 CET (Brussels or Germany, where our administrator lives). This is about one week after this thread was started, a reasonable period to give all frequent WW visitors the opportunity to post in this topic. You can nominate as many people as you like.

- After the nominations are finished, I will count the name and number of nominations. With the most nominated people we will organise a WW of the Year election. I will give a final deadline for votes in that topic as well.



These people are excluded from the election (if you feel like you need to name them here, feel free to do so, but they won't run in the final election):

- Jason: he took himself out for the above mentioned reason
- Florian, WW administrator: it should be disrespectfull to call his WW of the Year, since he started this site and is an "all time" WW !
- me, C a s r a n: I am Weight Weenie of the Year 2005, and I think you can only his this title once, but be proud of it forever
- ... -> people can ask me, for whatever reason, not to run in the election; then please mail me at pieter_deneve@yahoo.com



Some personal thoughts: "Why a Weight Weenie of the Year and who should it be for what reason?":

Being WW of the Year for almost 12 months now, I start to realize what it means having this title. It's not only a personal honour to me, it's a task as well. It means, so I felt, you have to be a proud ambassador of this site and incorporate what being a Weight Weenie is all about: and it's more than putting every new bicycle component on a scale (of course, that's the least you need to do!), but mainly having an open mind towards new products, quality, people, bike riders, etc... I never thought this 12 months ago, but in July I actually ended up having a job in the bicycle industry; but the Weight Weenie thought is still my guiding line, even professionally.

I don't know every single reason why people voted for me, but somehow they must have appreciated my presence on this forum; if not necessarily the content of my posts, then maybe some of my enthousiasm about cycling and towards other members of this great community. Thing is, I am by far not the most informed guy about WW products (though I do my utter best to follow as much as I can), I have by far not the lightest or most expensive bike collection (though of course I can by no reasons complain and it only improved over the last 12 months), I have not the most impressive race results (I do not even have the 50% of the capacities of a pro), etc. But for some reason, I was fit for the title.
What I'm trying to say: think about what a Weight Weenie of the Year should be like. It's up to you to decide what is important. And if you ask me, it's not simple. Having a couple of 10.000$ or sub 6kg bikes is not enough if you do not show a daily attention to weight weenieism; competiting on the top of the cycling sport, even with a light bike, is not enough if you do not make valuable contributions to the forum; post a word in every topic, up to 10 posts a day, is not enough if it doesn't add any valuable info... etc. (examples are not referring to existing members!)
I'm sure we have a lot of members combining several of these great qualities, with the current list of nominees in this topic as a good guideline.
Please think about it, and post your thoughts.


If any of you wants to address me in private concerning the election, please drop me an email: pieter_deneve@yahoo.com (my PM-box needs to be emptied every day, so mailbox is easier).



Best regards,



Pieter

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am
Posts: 3603
Location: A bigger rock in the Pacific (AUS)
C a s r a n wrote:
Some personal thoughts: "Why a Weight Weenie of the Year and who should it be for what reason?":

Being WW of the Year for almost 12 months now, I start to realize what it means having this title. It's not only a personal honour to me, it's a task as well. It means, so I felt, you have to be a proud ambassador of this site and incorporate what being a Weight Weenie is all about: and it's more than putting every new bicycle component on a scale (of course, that's the least you need to do!), but mainly having an open mind towards new products, quality, people, bike riders, etc... I never thought this 12 months ago, but in July I actually ended up having a job in the bicycle industry; but the Weight Weenie thought is still my guiding line, even professionally.

I don't know every single reason why people voted for me, but somehow they must have appreciated my presence on this forum; if not necessarily the content of my posts, then maybe some of my enthousiasm about cycling and towards other members of this great community. Thing is, I am by far not the most informed guy about WW products (though I do my utter best to follow as much as I can), I have by far not the lightest or most expensive bike collection (though of course I can by no reasons complain and it only improved over the last 12 months), I have not the most impressive race results (I do not even have the 50% of the capacities of a pro), etc. But for some reason, I was fit for the title.
What I'm trying to say: think about what a Weight Weenie of the Year should be like. It's up to you to decide what is important. And if you ask me, it's not simple. Having a couple of 10.000$ or sub 6kg bikes is not enough if you do not show a daily attention to weight weenieism; competiting on the top of the cycling sport, even with a light bike, is not enough if you do not make valuable contributions to the forum; post a word in every topic, up to 10 posts a day, is not enough if it doesn't add any valuable info... etc. (examples are not referring to existing members!)
I'm sure we have a lot of members combining several of these great qualities, with the current list of nominees in this topic as a good guideline.
Please think about it, and post your thoughts.


If any of you wants to address me in private concerning the election, please drop me an email: pieter_deneve@yahoo.com (my PM-box needs to be emptied every day, so mailbox is easier).



Best regards,



Pieter


Casran, once again I'm blown away by the effort you've put into the board, organising this years edition of WWOTY is just one more great achievement that you've made to the board, and its a pleasure being able to talk with someone as nice and generous as you on WW's (this applies to everyone else who contributes, shares, or just causes a laugh, its a great place here).

Though, the 10 posts a day bit soured my opinion of you for a second :P

But to be honest, what you wrote pretty much summed up what I thought, as WWism seems to be more than just a good bike, its a passion for bikes and a generous spirit that seem, to me, to make the best people on the board. Sure, take LJ for example, he has a fantastic collectoin of Pina's, but would we all give a rats if he was a pompous Jerk...well, if he was the Jerk, it'd be pretty funny, but two of them running arround would scare the hell out of me. It's his generosity and presence on the board when he's able to, which makes him a fixture of WWism (just trying not to say weenieisim...not because of people taking it the wrong way, just cant think of how to spell it :)) It's less about money and more about class

Afterall, this is a great place, where else can you sit back and go 'wow/shit/holy hell/yippekiyaye I just learnt something really interesting (or occasionally got offered something really interesting) from Cees Beers, the Carbon sports man, Lance Johnson, Adam Hansen, Casran, Felix0r, Stumpytrunks, CAAD7R3000 - whoever it was, from the regulars to the sporadic, theres always something interesting happening here


Last edited by Skillgannon on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm
Posts: 2509
Location: Oxford - UK
Are we limiting this to "road weenies"? As an initial mtb weenie, who has turned to the "dark side" embracing road weenism - I used to only read the mtb section. This may also be the case for some members only reading the cyclocross section.

I'd suggest if you want a poll from across the site, then mirror this thread in the other sections of this site?



How many "roadies" have read posts from lights_Wod?

I'd say he has been pushing back the boundaries for mtb tuning. Lots of mtb members questioned his sanity in using alu bolts in the stem of his mtb, then he posts pics of him getting several feet of air on the same bike...

some example here:
my my bike sub-6kg
My NeW BiKe...oh Yeah
No Comments=5.886gr
Bike of iago

_________________
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 pm
Posts: 4123
madcow wrote:
The ones that stand out the most to me are the ones that contribute out of pure love of WW. pk0r seems to embody the spirit of WW, he always is informed about the latest and greatest WW item. He has perhaps one of the nicest WW bikes ever built, with an incredible attention to detail. This to me embodies what WW should be about. So my nomination has to go to him(though he should post more, he is a fountain of information). There are alot of other people I'd like to name, but won't for fear of leaving anyone out.


Nils does seem to be a good one :wink: Even when he's much more of a weight weenie than I am he's always able to give a balanced view of the pros and cons compared to heavier equipment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:48 am 
Offline
WW of the Year 2005
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Posts: 3237
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Tippster wrote:
Are we limiting this to "road weenies"? As an initial mtb weenie, who has turned to the "dark side" embracing road weenism - I used to only read the mtb section. This may also be the case for some members only reading the cyclocross section.

I'd suggest if you want a poll from across the site, then mirror this thread in the other sections of this site?



You're 100% right, Tippster. :thumbup: I made a similar topic on the MTB and Cyclocross board. As the Road forum seems the most visited, I think we can run the poll here, while making a link from the other forums.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 438
Location: USA
I know that it's impossible for him to reign as WWOTY,
but I'd like to make an posthumous nomination of "bigfellow" Bill Niko (Singapore) anyway.
Interested in all points of view, always a kind word, never a flame, greatly missed.

_________________
Equality for Cranks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BRM, Ekorre, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], IhmeKameli, LionelB, manne and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone with a Weight Weenie PEGORETTI

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Bantamben

26

2898

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:29 pm

WonderSausage View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Live Vicariously through a Weight Weenie Newbie

in Road

dhoose

3

459

Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 am

mjduct View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Where is the best place to add weight?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Zoro

20

1692

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 am

AlphaDogCycling View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. YBN SFL-210 Chain Real Cut Weight

in Road

drainyoo

4

403

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:30 pm

drainyoo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Ti frame came in under speculated weight

in Road

skiezo

3

729

Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 pm

skiezo View the latest post


It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB