Dont buy a piece of s... like this......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Villadsen

by Villadsen

What you see here is (or better was) a 15 tooth TA Kheops alu cog. I never thought that Alu cogs would last, but seeing LA use these on L'Alpe D'Huez a couple of years ago made me buy a set. This one has less than 500 Km on it and some of the teeth are completely worn out and the chain is skipping with every pedal turn. It was used with a completely new Wipermann Titanium chain and only in good weather. Dont buy it........
Attachments
TA2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

It is especially the teeth which are made narrower for better shifting which are completely worn out.
Attachments
TA.jpg

Oswald

by Oswald

Maybe it's because of the chain... a titanium chain just doesn't make any sense... it stretches too much and causes the sprockets to wear faster...

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Clarification: It is a Wippermann part titanium chain. It does not flex more than other chains because the main parts are of steel

Superlite

by Superlite

It's a race only part, what do you expect.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Superlite wrote:It's a race only part, what do you expect.

Exactly-- My American Classic Aluminum cassette states that it is a race only cassette and that it will only last about 1,000 miles.

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Very clever answers. What does race only mean? This part have lasted what is the equivalent of 2 pro-races or 3 amateur races. Is that race only or is it race only as in "one race only". If it had lasted 1000 miles then OK, but now we are actually talking less than 300 miles

bobalou

by bobalou

Something also to consider, if you used it with a worn chain then it will last even less. A stretched train of any magnitude will quickly wear out any cassette, and an alloy cassette much faster. Alloy cassettes are fine to use for their purpose but it's critical that the chain be new when the cassette is new.

mises

by mises

and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.
Attachments
Left Ergo finger shifter unintentional weight loss
Left Ergo finger shifter unintentional weight loss

danielgillett

by danielgillett

I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!

spytech

by spytech

mises wrote:and this isn't too pretty either. Unless I decide to ride around in a 34x14 top gear it pretty much shot my weekend. In Campy's defense it was over 2 years old.

You must have strong fingers...lol :lol:

TedB

by TedB

danielgillett wrote:I personally recommend Tiso chainrings...

I currently have their aluminium road chainrings, but within the next week I will be receiving their Chrono and Titanium road chainrings!

Tiso is very good quality with excellent manufacturing standards. Not to mention lightweight!

FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.

danielgillett

by danielgillett

TedB wrote:

FWIW, the Tiso chaingrings are the ones that the Cofidis team was complaining about when they were dropping their chains in the '03 TDF.

I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.

Joel

by Joel

danielgillett wrote:
TedB wrote:

I heard that the whole complaint exerted from the fact that the team Mechanic decided to leave Millar's Front Derailleur off.

It was Millar himself who decided to leave the FD off. A big risk with the potholes etc in centre Paris. Every modern chainring with shifting help combined with a narrow chain will cause this problems on a bad road. Track chains are wider and so are the chainrings, with them and the excellent track it's (nearly) impossible to have the chain dropped from the chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com