Ergopower Shift Action

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brokebackmountainbiker

by brokebackmountainbiker

Is there anyone who has used both Chorus and Centaur ergos extensively enough to compare the feel of the shifting action between the two? I am talking about pre-QS models. I am looking to switch to campy ergos from a D/A Right Ultegra Left set of hoods. I am considering getting the centaur ergos, but only if they feel identical to record/chorus in the shift action....albeit at the weight penalty.

Also if I were to make this switch, I have always liked the look of the century grey centaur levers, so does anyone know if these are still available in the U.S., and if so, where?

Thanks!
Keepin' it Real since like last week or something.

sharkman

by sharkman

You won't feel the difference. The centaur even shifts a bit better when new but Chorus/Record will last longer due to the used ball bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

As already noted, the Record and Chorus models have ball bearings on the main pivot shaft, while the lower levels have a bushing. The distinction with Record is the antifriction coating on the rachet. Personally, I think the Record lever shifts noticeably easier and the cost difference (sometimes only $20) is not that great, so I get the Record levers, regardless of what else goes on the bike. If your budget is tight, Centaur will work just fine. All the other internal parts are the same as Chorus. The '07 Centaur and lower models are a different product, no longer having the ability to make multiple shifts to smaller cogs with the thumb button.

Do some on-line shopping to get the best price. I got my last pair from www.11speed.com for about $50 less than most US sources. The problem with 11 speed is they've doubled their shipping costs in the last few months, so you need a big order to save enough to be worth paying $36 in freight for a modest weight package. I bought 16 Michelin Pro Race2 tires from them for $22 each. That made the order worth it.

Irish

by Irish

I feel sick... just checked out 11speed Campy Record group €999,...I just paid €1350 at my LBS...(nashing of teeth)

divve

by divve

Irish wrote:I feel sick... just checked out 11speed Campy Record group €999,...I just paid €1350 at my LBS...(nashing of teeth)

The prices on their site are without 20% VAT. Ordering from your place would cost you almost €200 more. I don't know what the deal is but I thought all consumer prices in the EU had to be listed including VAT?

brokebackmountainbiker

by brokebackmountainbiker

Does anyone know of anywhere that the century grey levers are still available?

Thanks
Keepin' it Real since like last week or something.

Irish

by Irish

[/quoteI feel sick... just checked out 11speed Campy Record group €999,...I just paid €1350 at my LBS...(nashing of teeth)

The prices on their site are without 20% VAT. Ordering from your place would cost you almost €200 more. I don't know what the deal is but I thought all consumer prices in the EU had to be listed including VAT? ]

Tanx 12speed..sure hope my LBS salesperson recovers from slight concussion he incurred for overcharging...oops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com