Gap between headtube and headset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vashirak

by vashirak

Just installed my campy hidden headset onto my new frame, however, I discovered that there is a gap of about 1mm between the top cup of the headset (the one that sits below the stem) and the headtube. So i'm wondering if this is normal for a campy hidden headset. The only concern i have is that the gap may allow water or dust to go in and cause further problem

thanks

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Thats pretty normal. I don't know about 1mm, but there is a slight gap in mine as well. The bearings aren't completely sealed on those sets, so you should be overhauling them with some frequency.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I found this problem, and got suggested to put a thin o-ring in to fill the gap. This fixed the problem (install it with some grease to keep things smooth), my next frame had a headset with a little rubber wiper on it that closed the gap without adding noticeable drag (the o-ring added some drag I could feel).
Ride lightly!

skid

by skid

that gap is normal. but you should have a rubber gasket installed. i'm suprised it doesn't come with the headset.

divve

by divve

On my bike the gap is more like 0.5mm or less. The bearing is sealed pretty well with a rubber lip. Paste a liberal amount of thick grease over the seal and you're good to go. No problem with dirt or water intrusion.