Who will win the TDF?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Who will win the TDF?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:45 am

Jan Ullrich
38%
Lance Armstrong
48%
Iban Mayo
2%
Tyler Hamilton
9%
Mario Cippolini :)
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 91

userdeleted

by userdeleted

This will be my last post on this, and im only posting this one cuz im bored. I will say again, believe what you want, just like in politics, most people are stuck on what they believe and theres only a small 5% that can be swayed. When it comes to this, I don't care to bother taking the time to sway the 5%. You can think what you want and make what you want out of my comments. Have a nice day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Tyler won't take the GC, he's withdrawn. Apparently back pain :(

Adri

by Adri

Well, after the Pyrenees, we know who WON'T win:

Hamilton (withdrawn )
Mayo (took 37 minutes )
Sevilla (took 7 minutes )
Heras (took 22 minutes)
Ullrich (took another 2.42 minutes)

still a small chance for Basso.

Stage 13 results:

1. Armstrong Lance VS USP 6h 04' 38"
2. Basso Ivan Ita CSC 00"
3. Totschnig Georg Oos GST 01' 05"
4. Klöden Andreas Dui TMO 01' 27"
5. Mancebo Francisco Spa IBB 01' 27"
6. Ullrich Jan Dui TMO 02' 42"
7. Azevedo José Por USP 02' 50"
8. Moreau Christophe Fra C.A 02' 51"
9. Caucchioli Pietro Ita ALB 02' 51"
10. Simoni Gilberto Ita SAE 03' 43"
11. Pereiro Sio Oscar Spa PHO 04' 29"
12. Goubert Stephane Fra A2R 04' 29"
13. Voeckler Thomas Fra BLB 04' 42"
14. Merckx Axel Bel LOT 05' 56"
15. Karpets Vladimir Rus IBB 06' 06"
16. Sastre Carlos Spa CSC 06' 34"
17. Chavanel Sylvain Fra BLB 06' 34"
18. Sevilla Oscar Spa PHO 06' 39"
19. Leipheimer Levi VS RAB 06' 39"
20. Mouncoutié David Fra COF 06' 39"
21. Casar Sandy Fra FDJ 07' 21"
22. Rasmussen Mickael Den RAB 07' 33"
33. Virenque Richard Fra QSD 11' 28"
49. Heras Roberto Spa LST 21' 35"
74. Botero Santiago Col TMO 31' 14"
115. Mayo Iban Spa EUS 37' 40"

general after the Pyrenees:

1. Voeckler Thomas Fra BLB 58h 00' 27"
2. Armstrong Lance VS USP 22"
3. Basso Ivan Ita CSC 01' 39"
4. Klöden Andreas Dui TMO 03' 18"
5. Mancebo Francisco Spa IBB 03' 28"
6. Totschnig Georg Oos GST 06' 08"
7. Azevedo José Por USP 06' 43"
8. Ullrich Jan Dui TMO 07' 01"
9. Caucchioli Pietro Ita ALB 07' 59"
10. Casar Sandy Fra FDJ 08' 29"
11. Simoni Gilberto Ita SAE 09' 50"
12. Sastre Carlos Spa CSC 10' 03"
13. Pereiro Sio Oscar Spa PHO 10' 13"
14. Leipheimer Levi VS RAB 10' 47"
15. Sevilla Oscar Spa PHO 10' 54"
16. Moreau Christophe Fra C.A 11' 49"
17. Goubert Stephane Fra A2R 12' 44"
18. Rasmussen Mickael Den RAB 13' 03"
19. Virenque Richard Fra QSD 13' 06"
20. Rubiera José Luis Spa USP 13' 57"[/img]
Auribus teneo lupum

autocutter

by autocutter

Hi there, and I am new to forum and just busting to give my .02 about the TDeF.

First off, I have noticed last year, and this year when one of the older super stars ain't so super, they seem to 'crash' a lot and may shortly DNF. Yup, I know crashing hurts and I have a skin graft to prove it does, but......hey where did .......... go?????

Second, who is giving Basso his drinks? Postal?? Only OLN knows!

Smart money says Lance will win, but Jan and Basso won't make it a slam-dunk. Does anyone think Jan is in training for the third week or did Jan's low carbo annual spring diet finally betray him. And speaking of Basso, wow can he climb! The wife thinks Basso is a Postal ringer, but his signing with CSC rather than Postal suggests to me that he wants to be a player for the yellow rather than a Lance follower.

Now that France, rightfully has a new hero, do you think certain members of the French Press will stop trying to sabotage Lance with their mind games?

Finally, my mom taught me that people who blame the most are often guiltier than who they blame, so Lemond how did you recover so quick from that gut shot???
Autocutter

CAAD6
Team Saeco Colors

cadence90

by cadence90

:welcome: autocutter
I think Hamilton's crash this year was in a worse spot, his back is gone (the early weather, the crash and losing his dog may have sapped him too much).
Mayo is a mystery to me the last 2 days (I don't have cable so I can only listen, couldn't see him ride).
Ullrich is in big trouble, but I think he's proud enough to give it another go unless T-Mo sends Kloden instead....that will be interesting.
Basso is a fabulous young rider, I have no idea what he or any of these guys are drinking, but USPS wanted him last year. He will win the Tour one day (I'm not sure this is the year), especially if Riis can hold on to him. Look out him in the Alpe TT still.
I don't know if some journalists will ever stop digging at LA (unless maybe they have all three podium spots and jerseys). What will happen if Armstrong takes yellow and polka dot and "robs" them of their heroes???
Yeah, LeMond :roll: : you'd think he would have learned to stop shooting himself....
It's been a surprising Tour: I'd like to see Armstrong, Basso, Voeckler now...but I don't see how Voeckler can hang on through the Alps.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

ras11

by ras11

Yeah... I don't think Mayo was a big surprise... the guy exploded from the inside out. and he peaked too early... Lance called him on that before the start.

I love tyler... but that dude has some super bad karma working against him. I hope he doesn't beat himself up over his bad luck. I'm going through the same spat this year with some health problems, so I know the metal stuff about letting your team down, it sucks.

I think Jan still needs to boost his self confidence. He needs to win a TT or something... a stage.. a sprint... anything.

I was amazed that Basso didn't stay with an Italian team... but I guess I'm not a DS... but I'm glad he ended up in Riis's hands. He's learning a lot from this tour... I hope Sastra starts helping... I don't think Sastra is on 'the same page'. He should be stealing Mt. stages, not going GC. That would be the best way to pressure Lance.

MARCO.... THIS WAS YOUR TOUR!! Remember when you crested Vontoux with Lance in 2000. It was only you that could walk the walk, even after 11 months off the bike. I'm sorry you're not around to fight this one.
:-) Toys-R-Us

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

HawkMt210 wrote:This will be my last post on this, and im only posting this one cuz im bored. I will say again, believe what you want, just like in politics, most people are stuck on what they believe and theres only a small 5% that can be swayed.

On June 26th, you told us all: Lance has said he went all-out in that uphill time trial. The Dauphine IS a strong indicator on how you do in the Tour. It has been for many years.

By: "stuck on what they believe"... do you mean kinda like that? :wink:

Adri

by Adri

Perhaps Jan can do something in the Alps to save his honour (although he has fought well, he just cannot accelerate on the really steep parts, he should train on that :roll: )
Jan always is at his best during the last week.
I have to congratulate Lance and Bruyneel , it looks like they did it again although there is still one week to go. Basso is a nice surprise. Good thing he didn't sign for USPS or he would have ended up as Hincapie and Heras, "wasting" their best Tour-years and own chances to help LA.

As for Mayo, not sure if he is really over the top (37 mins is a lot ) it could be there is something elsie wrong with him (pressure, illness, ..)
Botero is only a shadow of what he once was, that saddens me.. I wonder what happened.
Auribus teneo lupum

autocutter

by autocutter

I still want LA to win, but not because he is a fellow American and all that stuff. No, I want him to break the 5 win barrier, I want him to win because he has done the work & paid the price, and because he knows it is Team Postal that allows him to win.

What I don't see in Tyler, Mayo, Heras, Simoni, & Jan is the focus and will to win like LA and the new young lions. I think they are just acting out the crowd's expectations, their need for a job, and to continue a way of life they have grown use to-they are still Elite riders who could win races but they are no longer have that driving hungry for the win. What I do see with them is the need to move on with their life and families before they end up like Marco.

Basso is way cool, smart too for getting away from the Italy based team thing of too many races while they are too young.
Autocutter

CAAD6
Team Saeco Colors

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

autocutter wrote:What I don't see in Tyler, Mayo, Heras, Simoni, & Jan is the focus and will to win like LA and the new young lions. I think they are just acting out the crowd's expectations, their need for a job, and to continue a way of life they have grown use to-they are still Elite riders who could win races but they are no longer have that driving hungry for the win. What I do see with them is the need to move on with their life and families before they end up like Marco.

I hate crap comments like this. Tell me, do you know how Tyler trained this winter?? DO YOU? I doubt it, or you wouldn't make crap comments like this about him. Lemme tell ya, if he was "just acting out the crowd's expectations" he would not have been out riding for 5 hours on a day that was sub-zero and the roads hadn't been cleared (he rode his MTB on the hike a bike trails). I only know one other rider who ventured out that day: Dirk Friel. The rest of us, even the ones who LIKE riding in snow, stayed inside.

Tyler busted his ASS this winter. He was out riding above 9000' all winter, working on major climbs and suffering in the crap weather. Don't tell me he's just going through the motions. Just because there wasn't a Nike film crew to turn it into a commercial doesn't mean it didn't happen!

This, BTW, is why I can't stand most die-hard Lance fans. The complete belief that their man, and ONLY their man, trains hard.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

Ullrich has no chance if he keeps riding this...

:lol:

divve

by divve

Is that mother's milk he's drinking :?: :lol:

autocutter

by autocutter

This, BTW, is why I can't stand most die-hard Lance fans. The complete belief that their man, and ONLY their man, trains hard.

First off, you assume I am a Lance fan, just as I assume Jan, Tyler et al may have job burn out. Neither assumption may be true, but I am not going to slam you or attempt to belittle your opinion.

However, since the issue of training was raised, the fact that someone may train hard doesn't automatically translate into a burning desire to win above all else.
Autocutter

CAAD6
Team Saeco Colors

divve

by divve

What's a CADD6?

martin

by martin

Just wait and see... the Tour isn't over yet. :lol:

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc