Uphill TT handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Hey there, i was thinking, in a TT like the Dauphine and the Alpe dhuez in the tour--cant the riders basically use any handlebars they want? So why then dont they just use a bullhorn bar to really drop weight? It'd make more sense then drilling out their brake levers (Mayo).

just a thought

jeremyb

Superlite

by Superlite

They don't want a bullhorn bar on an uphill course because it isn't an efficient posistion for climbing.

They prefer a standard bar, and about half also use clip on's with them. Look for Armstrongs new aero clip ons on the Alp TT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

a lot of guys climb on the hoods, and like Superlight said, a bullhorn would not replicate this position. I have bullhorns on my TT bike, but you don't wanna be doing much climbing on it. ;)

Another approach would be to saw the handlebars off below the levers. heh.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I had a Tri bike for a while and hated climbing on those bars. It's not a good position. Plus your so far forward that the front end gets pretty twitchy.

Superlite

by Superlite

Oh yeah, also forgot to mention a bull horn bar is much heavier then a regular drop bar, most are around 250g.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

Superlite wrote:Oh yeah, also forgot to mention a bull horn bar is much heavier then a regular drop bar, most are around 250g.

i dont buy it, take a really light drop bar and mount it normally, then hack off the drops. These guys arent going to be climbing on the drops anyways, throw on some super light clip-ons and you got a sweet light setup.

However, it might not look cool, it might look stupid, and we all know looking good often comes first right? So never mind then, bad idea.

jeremyb

Superlite

by Superlite

i dont buy it, take a really light drop bar and mount it normally, then hack off the drops. These guys arent going to be climbing on the drops anyways, throw on some super light clip-ons and you got a sweet light setup.

Can you personally speak for the pros? And cutting a regular drop bar isn't a bull horn bar, the top of the bar doesn't extend as long as a bull horn bar. Bull horns are not for climbing, and beleive it or not many pros use the drops at times during climbing.

Heres a little proof.

And you forget a weight limit, if the handle bars are lighter then something else has to be heavier. Most (noticed how I said most) have very light weight wheels for the climbs, and add weight to places where weight isn't as important. Say the saddle, or handlebars?
Attachments
br0sdlul.jpg

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

jeremyb wrote:--cant the riders basically use any handlebars they want? So why then dont they just use a bullhorn bar to really drop weight? It'd make more sense then drilling out their brake levers (Mayo).

Nobody should have any problem making minimum weight whatsoever. Almost any modern alum or carbon framed bike with light wheels and sew-ups will be at or below minimum weight.

The hole drilling on Mayo's bike is strictly there for asthetics or some attempt at a psychological advantage. The amount of weight removed by drilling those few little holes is completely insignificant. Calculate it if you don't believe it.

bobalou

by bobalou

Those clipons (for amrstrong) will only be used for about 25-30% of the climb is my guess, and based on what was heard on "the Lance chronicles". When the grade is only around 4-5% he'll be on the clipons. He said that it's a more comfortable position then his TT bike.

I've seen a stage at the tour once in the Pyrenees. Those guys fly up the hills like mere mortals would on the flats where it's 4-5%.

Superlite

by Superlite

Another pic.
Attachments
Millar.jpg

Superlite

by Superlite

One more, a pic of my main man. Winner of the 2004 TDF :wink:
Attachments
3Cctour.jpg

juicer

by juicer

superlite, can you speak for the pros?

bout time you step out and tell us who you really are so we can google you and find our what a great bike racer you are not.

I think I speak for about half the people on this forum when I say shut the hell up already

bobalou

by bobalou

juicer wrote:superlite, can you speak for the pros?

bout time you step out and tell us who you really are so we can google you and find our what a great bike racer you are not.

I think I speak for about half the people on this forum when I say shut the hell up already

Wow dude, lighten up already. Your first post here and you're flaming somebody.

Superlite

by Superlite

Whoa! A new fan! :lol:

I'm no pro, never said I was, but I am a colligate racer, and competed at nationals for my first year of competition, not too bad ( although disaster happened while racing). :cry:

I also have the unique privilage to ride with pros like mike creed and dany patton, mari holden, dunlap, and a few others. Thats one cool thing about the rides I go on and living in colorado, you never konw whos gonna show up.

So actually have a perspective that most others don't have being able to chat and ride with such people.

Relax, you'll live longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

juicer

by juicer

but still not willing to tell us who you are. you always talk about all your cat 2 accomplishments. i claim BS. I say your a coll C and cat 5 who can barely make it out your driveway.