AC 420/350 Sticker Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zoey

by zoey

Today I recieved my American Classic wheel order. The order was for one pair of CR420's and one pair of CR350's. I did not really like the large stickers and IMHO they look much better removed.
I thought I'd share the weight of my wheels and the saving or removing the stickers.

CR420 std build 16/20 Shimano
Weight was 1390 as shipped w/stickers removed weight was 1377 or 13g.

CR350 std build 28/32 Shimano
Weight was 1327 /stickers removed weight was 1319 or 8g.

Planning on adding Rox rim strips, Performance Lunar light tubes and Veloflex Pave tires. Tune skewers will anchor the wheels nicely on my rebuild steed. All that's left are the set of zero gravity brakes and I'll have all the parts to complete my rebuild.

I hope to take some pics once the bike is finished. :)

Cheers and keep the rubber side down
:lol:

Perry

by Perry

I´d stay away from the Rox rim strip if i where you
after three flats two on the same ride and a long walk home
I have gone back to the original plastic strip and never flated since
othervise be very careful when you install it so all spoke holes are covered on the rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zoey

by zoey

Perry wrote:I´d stay away from the Rox rim strip if i where you
after three flats two on the same ride and a long walk home
I have gone back to the original plastic strip and never flated since
othervise be very careful when you install it so all spoke holes are covered on the rim

I've been using Rox for years. I've had zero issues. The trick is the installation.

Cheers.

jim

by jim

zoey, you should take a read of ac's warranty information. there is a part that pertains to your logo / sticker removal...

http://www.amclassic.com/Warranty.html

martin

by martin

jim wrote:zoey, you should take a read of ac's warranty information. there is a part that pertains to your logo / sticker removal...

"NOTE REGARDING LOGOS - American Classic will not warranty any product where the American Classic logo has been removed from the product"
that is one strange clause - are they afraid of bootleggers?

here in germany there are two types of "warranty":
one is implied, granted by law and lasts 2 years. (Gewährleistung). Every thing you buy has that, the seller/producer can not change the terms.

the other one *can* be granted by the producer (Herstellergarantie) - here the producer is free to write whatever he likes, but he can only extend the terms of the implied warranty, never reduce these.

is there a similar thing in the US?

I'm no lawyer but in germany they couldn't refuse the legally granted warranty because of missing stickers, unless they proved that that caused the failure :-).
With the manufacturers warranty they are free to decide on the terms. But since AC only grants 1 year anyway....

Martl
Having removed stickers from Brakes, Rims, Frames in the past... unfortunately the "ritchey" and "michelin" stickers on my scott are under clear coat :-)
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

zoey

by zoey

Warranty on a lite weight wheel? Are you joking? Wheels, specificly rims are disposable items in my book like tires and tubes chains etc. I'm not to worried about warranty for a cracked rim. Also my sales invoice number was etched inside each rim. They can trace the sales reciept back to the rim.

But hey thats just .02 worth YMMV....

AC does list replacment stickers for sale on their site Here is the URL http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT68588/sc.2/category.2020/.f
Cheers,

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Sorry zoey, remember the little differences over here in Europe? We have a 'Royal with cheese' and also much better consumer rights than you do.

If my CR-420 fail I can surely kick someones ass.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I'm not far off buying a pair of 420's. We should keep in touch about their performance.

Brian

KB

by KB

martin wrote:
jim wrote:zoey, you should take a read of ac's warranty information. there is a part that pertains to your logo / sticker removal...

"NOTE REGARDING LOGOS - American Classic will not warranty any product where the American Classic logo has been removed from the product"

And for the reasons above I would never buy their wheels. It's absolutely ridiculous to make a statement regarding removal of stickers and I very much doubt it would stand up in court. Sound like no warranty at all to me.

zoey

by zoey

I can't believe the spiral this thread has turned into. "Court" "Kick Ass" sheez people relax it's just a rim. You can remove the stickers without a problem. If you ever do need the stickers you can buy new ones.

Ever wonder why things cost so much.... Three words product liability insurance!
Cheers,

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

KB wrote:
martin wrote:

And for the reasons above I would never buy their wheels. It's absolutely ridiculous to make a statement regarding removal of stickers and I very much doubt it would stand up in court. Sound like no warranty at all to me.

Use enough dish soap and hot water for cleaning (as suggested in almost any bike maintainence book) on a weekly basis and you'll end up causing the decals to lift. Wonder what AC would say about that.
Ride lightly!

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

IOt says "logo", not decal or sticker. Look at other AC items like hubs, seatposts etc. The logo is engraved or etched into the machined surface. That is what the statment was talking about.

FYI, since OTHER brands of wheels use AC hubs (Nimble Spider, for example), this is an important clause for warranty work.

Now, if the stickers came off because you overheated the rims in a monster descent (and I doubt the AC350's would survive any heat over 350F), I think its obivious the warranty would be void.

Jazzer

by Jazzer

Thumbs up for that 420+veloflex pave setup. I have the same and it works. :-D

C-40

by C-40

I personally spoke to the people at AC last week about buying their wheels without the stickers on them. The woman answering the phone told me a few things: 1) She is a lawyer (obviously one of the owners) 2) They are very proud of the gigantic stickers/labels 3) Removal voids the warranty (at least in the US) 4) That she and therefore the company policy/attitude blows-
You know what I did in protest? Bought a pair of Reynolds Cirrus SV's- and that is what we get to do- vote with our checkbooks. That policy and her attitude about sticker removal cost them a sale. It is just one sale but .........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

If stickers make the warranty, why would they sell these:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC ... ry.2020/.f

Stickers fail. Now if you used 10M HCl to clean the rims and the stickers fell off, the warranty would be void from the dissolution of the rim itself but if your citrus degreaser has discolored and lifted the stickers after a few rides in the rain, its unlikely warranty would be denied despite what the lawyer cum inbound telemarketer said.

My old first sergent had a colorful description for such legal advice and the persons proffering it. Something along the lines of outhouse lawyers but much more colorful.

Since AC wheelsets are available as complete only, the AC logo etched on the hub is sufficient ID.