10 speed chain options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I am building some new rides as purely ten speed dura ace. Until now I have used 9 speed cassette's and chains with some of the new 7800 components.

I have used and love SRAM chains, but they don't make a 10 speed one as of yet (Interbike release I was told)

What chain's should I look at. I am not a fan of the Dura ace chain, although I can't really give you a good reason why.

Have heard mixed reports on Wipperman stainless. Know nothing about KMC or the smaller brands.

Love your thoughts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

nzkiwiguy wrote:I am building some new rides as purely ten speed dura ace. Until now I have used 9 speed cassette's and chains with some of the new 7800 components.

I have used and love SRAM chains, but they don't make a 10 speed one as of yet (Interbike release I was told)

What chain's should I look at. I am not a fan of the Dura ace chain, although I can't really give you a good reason why.

Have heard mixed reports on Wipperman stainless. Know nothing about KMC or the smaller brands.

Love your thoughts

Maybe this will help:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=2275

But, if I were you I"d only use the 7800 chain. Shimano uses 10-speed cassettes even more narrow then campy.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

bobalou

Maybe this will help:

I read this, thanks. It does help but I am after some real world experience.

Also if it matters one bike will be all Ti cogs and rings. The other is standard shimano

Superlite

by Superlite

I am not a fan of the Dura ace chain, although I can't really give you a good reason why

I wasn't a fan of the 9 speed chains, as I went though those like water. 4 or 5 last year.

The new 10 speed chain however is the bomb! over 5,000 miles and the chain wear indicator says it's only at .50 !!! They are bombproof!

Most of the credit goes to the chain being narrower of course, the narrower the pins the less they will deform over time due to an effect of increased stiffness.

Don't worry about the new DA chain, get it and ride it. They work like a chain should.

divve

by divve

If it's really .5% it's worn :lol:

Superlite

by Superlite

If it's really .5% it's worn

nah, your supposed to replace at .75, but I guess if you wanted to end a little early you could.

Still, 5,000 miles and .5 is awsome. Old 9 speed chains, maybe half that. :shock:

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Thnaks Superlite.

How's your crank coming?

Superlite

by Superlite

Thnaks Superlite.

How's your crank coming?

:lol:

It's not.

Materials are too hard to come by and the suppliers won't sell me the quantity of Ti that I need (to little). It's all designed and ready to be made, but without the Ti tubing there is no cranks.

I'm looking into alternative materials, but none will be nearly as light as the Ti ones would have been. Chromoly is the next best bet.

The Reaper

by The Reaper

5000 miles on a 7800 chain , What on a windtrainer . I have replaced dozens of cliants chains in the last few months,the best seems more like 5000 KM . Whats miles anyway i though we went to the metric system years :?: Replacement for this chain :?: I have'nt found one yet but Ti would be nice if we did'nt have a externale with problem , but we DO !

Superlite

by Superlite

5000 miles on a 7800 chain , What on a windtrainer . I have replaced dozens of cliants chains in the last few months,the best seems more like 5000 KM . Whats miles anyway i though we went to the metric system years Replacement for this chain I have'nt found one yet but Ti would be nice if we did'nt have a externale with problem , but we DO !

Ok?

I have 5,000+ miles (8,000km for the metrically inclined) on real road use and racing.

Another factor you should consider is rider type, and body weight. I weigh 138lbs, so I don't stretch the chain as much as say one of you clients who may or may not be much heavier then I am.

jer

by jer

nzkiwiguy wrote:I am building some new rides as purely ten speed dura ace. Until now I have used 9 speed cassette's and chains with some of the new 7800 components.

The SRAM PC-89R hollow pin chin is 6.2mm wide. The wipperman 10 speed chains are 6.2mm. Campy 10 is 6.1 and DA 10 is 6.1mm.

Dura-ace 9 chains are 6.6 and Campy 9 chains are 6.8mm

The only reason you can't use the 89R hollow pin for 10 speed is the sram power link is 6.6mm wide. If you can reuse a hollow pin it will work fine for ten speed.

BTW: this is only true for the 89R hollow pin.
the 89R with out hollow pins is 6.7mm
pc99 hollow pin is 6.4mm
and pc99 w/o hollow pins 6.9mm

popawheelie

by popawheelie

How about the Wipperman nickel plated 10 speed. I was thinking of putting this chain on my Campy drivetrain. I don't need Stainless but would like the Wipperman with the removeable link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com