Bold Precision Seatpost?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willf03

by willf03

Does anyone have any experiance with the Bold posts? They look good to me, and for what they are, they're very resonably priced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bititanio

by Bititanio

Haven't tried the seatpost, but from what I know of Al Bold, it should be great. I use his skewers -- ultra light, but no problems in use.

Cyco

by Cyco

I was thinking about getting one, but found the thin section at the top to be a bit ugly to my eyes.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

willf03

by willf03

I was thinking that the tapered part might look a little wierd too. Does anyone have any other suggestions for other posts that would work? It needs to be Carbon or Titanium, 27.2, under $200, and under 150g. Thanks!

Joel

by Joel

FRM ST-M21: double bolts 160g/350mm (you can cut it) so +/-140g for 250mm
USE Titanium or USE carbon

Why no alu post, light post from Tune, FRM, Thompson, Extralite,...

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I have the Bold Precision post and am very satisfied with it. I modified the two Ti bolts and the alau outer caps a bit.
I had a USE post start to break on me and it sits on the shelf now.
The carbon is too soft in my opinion.
The Bold post narrows down in diameter for a good reason I think.
When you sit on a seat and post you flex it backwards as you pedal.
Most posts bend right where it enters the frame and that is where it is clamped as well. This is where my USE post started to fail.
The bold post is narrowed in the middle of the post so some of the flexing takes place there instead of at the clamp. Good design in my opinion!

willf03

by willf03

I have an aluminum frame and a saddle with no padding, so I was hoping to get a post that would shed some weight while being more comfortable.
The bold post is narrowed in the middle of the post so some of the flexing takes place there instead of at the clamp. Good design in my opinion!

This is an interesting point...but it looks like bold has stopped production for a while; anyone know when he'll start again?
I had a USE post start to break on me and it sits on the shelf now.
The carbon is too soft in my opinion.

I have heard of this happening from more than one person, I think I'll stay away from the USE posts.
The FRM post could be good, but are they available in the US? Does anyone know what the Spada post costs?

martin

by martin

willf03 wrote:

I have an aluminum frame and a saddle with no padding, so I was hoping to get a post that would shed some weight while being more comfortable.

I don't know the "Bold" seatpost very good, but fro the pictures i'd say, this most certainly won't work. Roadie magazine "Tour" had a test in their recent issue regarding comfort. They let three different riders (leisure rider, ambitioned hobby rider, Class A amateur) testride on identical material (ordiary oversized AL frame) and changed: Seatposts, tires, pressure, handlebars and forks.
Result: if you want to make a noticeable difference in comfort, play with your tyre pressure, that makes the biggest difference.
If its still too uncomfy, choose wider tires (The A Amateur loved the 28mm Conti). Then came fork and handlebar, effect of seatpost: unnoticeable.

To give "Bold" credit, none of the seatposts used was as extreme in design as the "Bold", but still the flex of the post will be measured in tenths of a milimeter - with tyres, wheels, saddle, handlebar, fork we are talking several mm. The testbikes used had no slope - shorter seatpost. But i personally don't think that would've made much difference.

Seatposts tested: straight Al post, Al post with mounting point 5mm behind, and a Moots Ti post with 20mm.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Ti-seat post can add comfort but only when it's least 200m out from frame. And I would chose most logical way, change your saddle!

Or try Vittoria tyres with latex inner tyres. Corsa EVO KS etc. Open or tubulars. And those inner tyres are light also, new shipment was 56g's! All very comfy!

28mm Conti's would be bad choice...bad rolling and heavy.

martin

by martin

Samu Ilonen wrote:And I would chose most logical way, change your saddle!

Good point!
28mm Conti's would be bad choice...bad rolling and heavy.

Tire tested was the GP 4 seasons in 28mm. 240g claimed. Not superlight, but not very heavy either.
BTW, the A Amateur in the test i mentioned (A is highest amateur level in Germany) loved them. In his sum up he said he prefers stiff fork and handlebar, but he could imagine racing the Conti 28mms. As a coincidence, i happen to know that guy, and he is not sponsored by conti for all i know.
(He owns a bikeshop, though - maybe conti shipped him a box for free, i dunno - have to watch out for bargain tire sales at his place in the near future... :D)

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Oh, 4-seasons in 28mm? I Needet those year ago but coun't find. I got 28mm Ultra gator skins. They were heavy....

But is 240g real weight for 28mm 4-season? Feel bit too light...

It's again, my imrossession that Vittoria and Michelins roll way better. Same has seen in least to magazines rolling test. Vittoria were best, Michelin second.

mises

by mises

Not sure when Bold will be resuming full production - as of a couple weeks ago he was still trying to get his new shop up and running. You can still get the skewers, but I am not sure what else.

willf03

by willf03

effect of seatpost: unnoticeable.

I have to disagree--I have a carbon LP composites post on my mtb and have noticed a huge difference in dampening over my old aluminum post. If you don't believe me, why do the pros switch to carbon/ti posts in Paris Roubaix??
However, I totaly agree about the tires--I use a set of 28mm for training, and they're really comfortable. Don't know how good they'd be for racing--too much rolling resistance.
I don't want to change the saddle because it is really comfortable, it just needs a little dampening to keep the edge off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonali

by simonali

If someone wants a USE post, why not go for the aluminium one? Nearly as light, much cheaper and a choice of colours. :)