VXRS Ulteam - Dumbass

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Supposedly, you can cut off the ISP (translink) on a VXRS Ulteam and use a conventional 27.2 seatpost.

by Weenie

santabarbara

by santabarbara

Functionally, having it cut an extra 2cm does no harm. It's purely aesthetic. So, in that regard, I'm very lucky. But, *doh!* it just bugs the heck out of me. Deep breaths.

All this said, though, it rides amazingly well. It better, right? So smooth, and quite an eye catcher. A nice touch is the white regal saddle, copper rivets. ;) And the 07 Record calipers are very nice.

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Good to hear about the ride and feel. Aesthetically it may seem not perfect but functionally it's doing what it's designed to. For myself, I'm looking into getting a 595 when my work bonus comes next March, but if any of you are thinking about getting a IPS frame and you either cut it yourself or have a shop do it, always, always measure twice, then measure again, then cut. (Or cut a little at a time to dial it in. Of course all of you know this. Right? :wink: ) I intend to do the cutting myself and not let a shop do it. Cheers.

drjones96

by drjones96

Don't get me started on bike shop screw ups. It's why I do as much work at home as I can.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

santabarbara, can you post pics for us to see what it looks like now?

Balenaar

by Balenaar

I have also a 'little' problem with my translink.
When the Flite saddle is on my bike I have no problem, but I want to change that saddle to a SLR or something like that. But the rails of the SLR are 1cm lower than the rails of a Flite. So when I put a SLR on my bike I have to go 1cm higher with my seatpost. Someone knows a flat saddle with heigh rails ?

Time VXRS Ulteam

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

hi, santa barbara, the aspide composite will look good on that bike. hope you are pleased.

santabarbara

by santabarbara

Will try to post this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the feedback.

santabarbara

by santabarbara

I also have the aspide composite on it (which forces me to raise the post even higher). Still looks really nice.

tcr

by tcr

XL_Carbon wrote:Good to hear about the ride and feel. Aesthetically it may seem not perfect but functionally it's doing what it's designed to. For myself, I'm looking into getting a 595 when my work bonus comes next March, but if any of you are thinking about getting a IPS frame and you either cut it yourself or have a shop do it, always, always measure twice, then measure again, then cut. (Or cut a little at a time to dial it in. Of course all of you know this. Right? :wink: ) I intend to do the cutting myself and not let a shop do it. Cheers.

The beauty of the 595 is that you have 4cm of adjustment once the post is cut, and you can use the excess post as the spacer so it looks quite tidy.

Sorry for OT :oops:

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

tcr - you're right, that does look (no pun intended) nice and clean...now i'm getting excited about getting one. Maybe the OP can do the same thing if it's possible.

Oswald

by Oswald

I 've worked in two bikeshops so far. You can't imagine the stuff I've seen. I NEVER let anyone else work on my bikes...

santabarbara

by santabarbara

This thread is quite the contrary of "support your local LBS".

If LBS's would hire staff that had some brains, I'd consider it. No longer. I'm learning how to do things on my own from now.

15peter20

by 15peter20

santabarbara wrote:I'm learning how to do things on my own from now.

Me too. The last time I let a certain bike shop in west Manchester loose on my bike they forgot to tighten the crank fixing bolts, which ultimately led to a one hour wait by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (Wales) waiting for the Dragon Ride's mechanic to turn up. I took it back for them to look at and fix, collected it later - still loose. As I stood there watching the guy work his "magic", I thought: I can do that.
Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
http://www.wheelers.org

by Weenie