Titanium rims - part 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Greyham wrote:bang on man, i think the largest source of error absoultely has to be solid models; but the temptation is very strong for new users just to convert and insert...everything good in life takes hard work.

That makes a lot of sense, and I think I understand your point better now. You're absolutely right that what works best for CAD (e.g., solid models) is not always what works best for FEA. I agree completely that there's a temptation for CAD users to convert their solid models to FEA meshes and click the "solve" button without really thinking about:

- whether their model is a good approximation of the physical part or

- whether the loads have been applied in a realistic way.

So it sounds like we agree!

Cheers,

Jason

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

ScienceIsCool wrote:Is there a common material out there that will allow for a better rim? Let's find out. I don't think that aluminum is the pinnacle of what can be achieved.
How abou magnesium and scandium alloys?

I have read that some pros have ridden magnesium rim versions of wheels sold with aluminum alloys in the productio models to the mass market. Same rims and wheels so people can't tell the different, but just with rims made of magnesium instead.

Alexrims claims to have the World's first 7000 series aluminum rims with their very light Crostini rims. What alloys are used for other aluminum rims? Some 6000 series alloy I suppose.
Last edited by 2 wheels on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CounTeR

by CounTeR

collideous wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:Is there a common material out there that will allow for a better rim? Let's find out. I don't think that aluminum is the pinnacle of what can be achieved.

Liquid metals could be the revolution that puts the current bicycle materials like steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon into a museum. It might be a while though until the bike industry will work with such a new kind of materials.

Like this? :)

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/

I thought this stuff was pretty cool when I saw it on T.V.
Everything else is Fascist.

dm69

by dm69

2 wheels wrote:
How abou magnesium and scandium alloys?

I have read that some pros have ridden magnesium rim versions of wheels sold with aluminum alloys in the productio models to the mass market. Same rims and wheels so people can't tell the different, but just with rims made of magnesium instead.

Alexrims claims to have the World's first 7000 series aluminum rims with their very light Costrini rims. What alloys are used for other aluminum rims? Some 6000 series alloy I suppose.

+1...much more practical than titanium. A lot of ppl just want to see a TI rim regardless of the $ per performance factor. There is a niche for other materials besides aluminium in the low weight-aerodynamic area...ppl will pay a LOT for high performance wheels. The answer was and still is Carbon fibre, for this experiment to work the rim has to be lighter and or more aerodynamic than carbon fibre at the same price range. They tried it with bike frames and they come up with ghisallo and blade, both nice frames but for $ to performance ratio just buy a soloist :P . Then again some ppl just like the colour/cool name of titanium, sounds a lot more scary than aluminium (al is a very common material).

Hopefully the OP will succeed and build a 38mm rim at 320 grams which will cost $500 aud each and still be super stiff/ strong :roll: ...I am just a little sceptical of whether its possible.

And to the guy who keeps quoting me would you admit that aluminium frames are as stiff if not stiffer than titanium frames and much cheaper. What has a physics degree got to do with it? AL rides bloody stiff and TESTS!!! stiff...nuff said.