Armstrongs new bike! Holy S@#!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

divve

by divve

They could do without the dust and hairs/fiber bits (of whatever origin) under the paint though.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zoey

by zoey

Bruiser wrote:Don't you think they could find a new colour pattern or scheme?

Brian

Maybe slap a few more stickers on it like the CR1? :roll:
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

SnakeHead wrote:Hands up who has actually riden a madone???

I've ridden one! :D Great bike, very stiff and responsive, just wasn't overly light (Was a stock bike, my 5500 was lighter due to the nicer kit!)! This new bike ought to be great, might get myself one when it's released.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Bontrager is the mans last name...if bontrager isn't right as a brand name then so is colnago, de rosa, Merkx, lemond...

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

[quote="520 Dan"]Bontrager is the mans last name...if bontrager isn't right as a brand name then so is colnago, de rosa, Merkx, lemond...[/quote]

So you'd ride a bike made by a guy with the last name "Lump'o Led"?

divve

by divve

Mr_Potatohead wrote:So you'd ride a bike made by a guy with the last name "Lump'o Led"?

I prefer a Faggin Team Pro myself :lol:
Attachments
TEAMPRO.jpg

Superlite

by Superlite

Man, when I made this post I didn't expect everyone to bash Trek! WHat the heck is your guys problems? Have you no respect for this bike? It is a great bike and alot went into it. It is one of the most advanced frames around and all you care about is the friggin paint job? :roll:

Maybe the paint is bland, but it doens't take away from whats underneath.

Martin Wrote
That is one sloooow bike
somehow that reminds me of the famous piece "The Gringo" in Santi Boteros Tour diary 2000:

"His smile said to me, ‘I was training while you were sleeping, Santiago.’ It also said, ‘I won this tour four months ago, while you were deciding what bike frame to use in the Tour. I trained harder than you did, Santiago. I don’t know if I am better than you are, but I have outworked you and right now, you cannot do anything about it. Enjoy your ride Santiago. See you in Paris.’"

So are you saying Armstrong didn't train this year. OK :roll:

If anyting he is in better off shape then last year.

Scapin/Dean
The one thing that this picture really shows well is how HUGE and ungainly looking the new DA 10-speed shifters are. Just as butt-ugly as their crankset.

Well thats just opinion. I personally like them, but I do respect that other people that don't like it as much, but even if you don't like they way they look you can not deny how great of a product the 7800 series Shimano group is.

Mr_Potatohead

Yeah, 1000g wheelset is really a lump of lead huh? Guess that new 900g frame he is riding weighs too much as well. Wow, Armstrongs screwed! :roll:

If you don't have any real input rather then smart ass remarkes don't even post.[/i]

divve

by divve

If everything is so light why is he still using that left down tube shifter :idea:

Superlite

by Superlite

If everything is so light why is he still using that left down tube shifter

I use to wonder the same thing.

Pez, or some online source asked him that. His answer was he just prefers it to the sti. Guess he really likes the down tube shifters, or at least the front shifter. The combo only saves like 50g over sti. And he uses a heavy ass Shimano seat post to add weight to his bike to make it legal. Weight was never an issue with the setup.

What, you guys think Lance Armstrong, 5 time winner of the TDF is going to be riding an old heavy bike! Oh my. :lol:

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

I agree with Superlite, Trek's are only unpopular cos Lance rides them and thus so does everyone else! They're great bikes, my 5500 frameset is awesome, half the price of a C40 and arguably superior. Maybe not the best colour schemes, but when you're buying a top of the range road bike you want performance over asthetics.

simonali

by simonali

tobias wrote:...i totally agree (i never likes the trekies...).
the interesting part about that bike are the hubs...

who finds any any simularities;) ??

Not really. The bottom hub is exquisitely made and the top one looks like the middle of a cheap toilet roll holder (only lumpier)

rico

by rico

'Lack of workmanship'? On a Colnago? :roll:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Superlite wrote:Man, when I made this post I didn't expect everyone to bash Trek! WHat the heck is your guys problems? Have you no respect for this bike? It is a great bike and alot went into it. It is one of the most advanced frames around and all you care about is the friggin paint job? :roll:

As the frames are so expensive yes we do expect better. Ford only offered Model T's in black, but can't Trek do better?

Mr_Potatohead

Australia has a frame builder who's brand name is Hillbrick :wink: . They're popular track bikes but they've never taken off on the road :roll:
Attachments
Hillbrick.jpg

martin

by martin

Superlite wrote:Man, when I made this post I didn't expect everyone to bash Trek! WHat the heck is your guys problems? Have you no respect for this bike? It is a great bike and alot went into it. It is one of the most advanced frames around and all you care about is the friggin paint job? :roll:

Martin Wrote
That is one sloooow bike
somehow that reminds me of the famous piece "The Gringo" in Santi Boteros Tour diary 2000:

"His smile said to me, ‘I was training while you were sleeping, Santiago.’ It also said, ‘I won this tour four months ago, while you were deciding what bike frame to use in the Tour. I trained harder than you did, Santiago. I don’t know if I am better than you are, but I have outworked you and right now, you cannot do anything about it. Enjoy your ride Santiago. See you in Paris.’"

So are you saying Armstrong didn't train this year. OK :roll:

If anyting he is in better off shape then last year.

Hey, man, no offense :-) i was trying to make a joke..

Everybody knows that L.A. is probably the cyclist who takes his preaparation most serious of them all. That even he can loose in a preparation TT that -i would say- he most possibly was trying to win, makes him only more likeable as a person, in my opinion. After all, that shows he is human as the rest of us... ;-)

I read Boteros Diary back then and was amused that even Pros of his level can have these thoughts - i recognized many of the thoughts i have when the fast guys pass me on the low level races i attend.

When Lance failed on a new bicycle that was a sitting duck, so to speak :)it just fitted nicely, i thought.

As of the Trek: I've never ridden one. But for all i read and heard about them, I am absolutely convinced that, from a rational point of view, these frames are second to none. For me they lack exclusiveness (but then, i rida a Scott :-) ) and i don't care much for carbon frames for reasons i couldn't tell myself, so i probably wouldn't buy one for me. But you will never hear me saying seriously that Trek builds bad bicycles.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

Heh, Superlite - Guess some folks must bash what they don't own. Must do so to justify their own selections, I suppose.

Trek probably does as much for cycling worldwide as any other single company, and, they make an outstanding product line (although my only Trek is an '89 720 lugged steel) that covers the full range of riders, both on-road and off. Trek is by far the largest seller in the U.S. and they didn't get there by offering substandard products. Like them or not, they make an excellent product and their carbon fiber bikes are second to none, based on the feedback I get from those many folks I know who ride them. Their 5200 and above is definitely the bike of choice in the two clubs I ride with. And they stand behind their products. Whether it is a new paint job or a new frameset. I only wish Campa could do so well.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com