new tune stuff?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nino

by nino

the saddle is awesome!
it's unbelievable when you have hold it in your hands. so far everyone shoutet out loud and was amazed at how paperlight this thing is. almost half the weight of the so far lightest AX-Lightness "Sprint" which i had on my roadbike before ( which was a "heavy" 68g).
there is a "reinforced" version too which weighs 45g and it feels indeed slightly stiffer.
the rails are integrated into the shell as you can see on my pictures which are printed in a message above. the rails can be attached to any seatpost, no problem. the saddle itself is ULTRA-COMFORTABLE!!! only those who never tried a carbon saddle will always insist that such saddles must be bonehard -WRONG! there is no saddle as comfortable as this one. the shell is ultra flexible and it feels basically like sitting on a filled plastic waterbottle. the ride is best to be described as "cushy". road irregularities get smoothed out to a degree where you think you have lost air in the tires. my roadbike feels really soft , almost like a fullsuspension bike. the saddle doesn't wobble around though. it's just taking out the sharpes hits. i have done about 250 kilometres on mine and have no complaint whatsoever. only the bad wheater is hindering me form riding more...

NO MTB! at least not for normal humans. it might be possible for really light riders to use the reinforced 45g version on a MTB though...i definitely won't do it.

no comparison in comfort compared to the old Tune Speedneedle. that thing is really bonehard.i had 2 Speedneedles in the past and they are ok if you are accustomed to them but no comparison to AX-Lightness which are perfect but the new Tune is even better.

below's the saddle mounted on my roadbike.i have that nice 93g New Ultimate seatpost (27,2/250mm). makes for a saddle/seatpost combo of just 133g while retaining full adjustability unlike those all-carbon combos with a fixed position.
Attachments
NewUltimate+Sattel-mont.jpg
NewUltimate+Tune-133.jpg

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

Thanks for the informitive post nino. Think you guys might just be seeing my speedneedle in the for sale forum quite soon! :D

So I guess I need to contact Tune direct? I'll be visiting Mainz saturday, and would love to get one shipped to my place there. Need to shoot them off an email.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

I am almost afraid to ask but how much is the saddle? Are there any specific weight limits for each model?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

the rough price estimate i heard was E 250!!!!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

nino

by nino

it's definitely more than that!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Nino....where can you buy the saddle at? online?

what kind of seatpost is that in the pic? weight?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

cyclemanpat wrote:what kind of seatpost is that in the pic? weight?

You didn't read the whole topic, didn't you? :wink:

Otherwis you would have read this: :D

Joel wrote:Interestig seat post too, I like too have more info about it

Frankie - B wrote:Look here

Cheers!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

Tune just got back to me. They have them in stock ready to ship. Getting back to me with a price I assume in the next email.

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

BTW, B-T-P.de is advertising the newultimate post. Nino, you get it from btp?

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

Well, Gerhard at tune just got back to me, and I placed my order! :D
289 including german tax. I must have gone nuts to spend so much on this thing. I hope the build quality is higher than my speedneedle....the speedneedle I got isn't exactly symmetrical in the shape of the shell or placement of the rails. Lets hope they up the quality with this obvious up in price.

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

WOW! Just got back from the maden voyage with the new tune saddle. It's everyting nino has described. I really couldn't believe how flexy the shell is, but it looks like its quite reinforced at the rails and where the shell is 'attatched'. The quality and attention to details are VERY impressive compared to the speed needle. No irregularities, only quality. The embossed tune logo which I don't think was quite visible on ninos pictures really looks nice. 'Becker Carbon' is also embossed onto the tail. Mine came with a 41g sticker on it, matched up very nicely with my tomson masterpiece. BTP is out of the newultimate posts for now, so it will be a couple weeks before you guys see my completed bike in the forums :D Look for the sub 6400gr Wilier!

Oenk

by Oenk

Does anyone have some info about the new Tune carbon cranks?
They will be on sale from summer '04.

tyson12zoll

by tyson12zoll

Just got back from a 3 day tip in the pyrenees. On the first day we encountered some rough roads, nothing out of the ordinary, when I suddenly heard a crack. After inspecting, the saddle seems to have split allong two of the carbon fibers at the tail. Very dissapointing indeed.
What is unbelieveable is that I'm only 59 kilos!
I hope Tunes customer service is good.

doozer

by doozer

tyson12zoll wrote:Just got back from a 3 day tip in the pyrenees. On the first day we encountered some rough roads, nothing out of the ordinary, when I suddenly heard a crack. After inspecting, the saddle seems to have split allong two of the carbon fibers at the tail. Very dissapointing indeed.

makes you wonder what kind of testing tune have done on the saddle :?

doozer
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

anubis

by anubis

tyson12zoll wrote:Just got back from a 3 day tip in the pyrenees. On the first day we encountered some rough roads, nothing out of the ordinary, when I suddenly heard a crack. After inspecting, the saddle seems to have split allong two of the carbon fibers at the tail. Very dissapointing indeed.

it's just dissapointing??? :lol: This is ridiculous so far! 300 euros for a garage ingenieered product cracking after the first serious ride. I think it should be possible to produce a flexible carbon part that takes the hits of the road without breaking. Obviously tune isn't in the condition to do so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com