Record derailleurs question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Smera

by Smera

Hello,

Would like to know if it is possible to use the Record compact front and rear derailleurs with a 53/39 chainrings.

I am wondering if I will have any kind of limitation with this setup and need to buy the Standard size front and medium sized rear derailleurs.

Your input would be nice.

Thanks.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Campy compact front derailleurs don't shift well with standard cranks, historically.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Smera

by Smera

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the fast response.

What about the rear compact derailleur ? Can I use it with the medium size front derailleur without any shifting issues ???

Thanks again,
Roberto

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Dep on the cassette size, you can use Mid and Long rear der and they will work for both standard and compact.

I have it on two bikes and no problems

Smera

by Smera

Hi PezTech,

Thanks for your explanation, but it is still not clear to me.

I have 53/39 chainrings, 11/23 cassete and 02 different sets of front and rear dereilleurs.

I would like to know which is the best combination to assemble the whole drivetrain.

May I use the standard size front derailleur with the compact rear or I must use the standard front with the medium cage rear derailleur ??

Another scenario is to use the compact front derailleur with the compact rear, but I am not shure if they would with the 53/39 chainrings.

Thanks for your invaluable help.

DaveS

by DaveS

Smera wrote:Hi PezTech,

Thanks for your explanation, but it is still not clear to me.

I have 53/39 chainrings, 11/23 cassete and 02 different sets of front and rear dereilleurs.

I would like to know which is the best combination to assemble the whole drivetrain.

May I use the standard size front derailleur with the compact rear or I must use the standard front with the medium cage rear derailleur ??

Another scenario is to use the compact front derailleur with the compact rear, but I am not shure if they would with the 53/39 chainrings.

Thanks for your invaluable help.

The only thing that's "compact" is the chainrings, like a 50/34. The compact front derailleur is shaped to fit rings in the 48-50T range. Some people use the standard FD even with a compact, particularly if they already have one and want to avoid buying a new FD.

The rear derailleurs are no different for a compact crank. The short cage will work will any cassette, except the 13-29. A medium is used with any double crank and a 13-29 cassette or a triple crank and any cassette except the 13-29. The long cage is only needed with a triple crank using a 13-29 cassette.
Last edited by DaveS on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smera

by Smera

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification.

Will be using the standard front derailleur with the compact rear.

Thank you again and best regards.

Roberto.

c50jim

by c50jim

And as long as you don't cross chain, you can actually use a short cage rear derailleur with a 13-29.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

footwerx

by footwerx

there is no such thing as a compact rear derailleur.