HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:32 pm 

Finally, got my new bike this past week and have put a couple of hundred km's on it. One word, Awesome!

The bike rides super smooth (with Stiletto Fork and Speedneedle Marathon Seat), but is also extremely stiff when your applying power or going up hill, no discernable frame flex(I'm 220 lbs, I know all about Flex in frames). Changes direction instantly while still being stable. Also very pretty with the Storck Power Arms.

My previous bike was a Trek 5200. The Storck is way more vertically compliant, but also way stiffer when climbing etc..

You gotta like the German engineering(and Taiwan Build quality on the Frame, Fork still built in Germany).

I'm picking up my good wheels today - Spada Carbonio Aero's 1094 grams! I'm putting Tufo Elite Jet<160 on them and will try this weekend.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:55 pm 

There you go!
Sounds like a great ride. :)
Post pix/specs soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:21 pm 

what Bottom bracket do you ride at 220lb. I would be interested in your feedback on the ones you have tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:40 pm 

I'm using the Spada Scandium at 118 grams, no Problems so far. Apparently it's good for 240lbs., Cranks and BB are quite stiff when your hammering on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:45 pm 

Here is my final build list, I'm still waiting for the Tune stem, seatpost and skewers and Schmolke bars, they should all be here in a week or so. I'll be happy if the bike is within .25 lb of what is predicted. With my training wheels and temporary parts it was within .1lb so it's looking good.

Storck Scenario 1.1 59 Frame with all stock screws and bolts 1272

Storck Stiletto Fork - Carbon - Cut 306

Zero Gravity Brakes 188
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Ultra Shifters 324
Storck Crank/FRM Rings and Silver Bolts Cranks/53/39 Chain Rings 450
Spada Scandium BB ISIS 118
Campagnolo Record 10spd 04 Front Deraileur 69
Spada Cassette 11-25 100
Spada Lockring 10
Campagnolo Record 10spd Short Cage 04 Rear Derailleir 184
Campy Hollow Pin 04 Ultra Record Chain 259
Tune Stem 144
Schmolke Handlebar 46cm with Aero Reinforcement 175
Cinelli Solid Cork Bar Tape 40
Storck Headset 68
Nokon Housing & Cables Brake and Shifters - Silver 120
Tune Seatpost 175
Tune Speedneedle Marathon Seat 109
Tufo Elites <160g Tires 20mm 320
Glue Tufo Tape and Sealant 60
Spada Carbonio Aero Wheels 1094
Aluminum/Titanium/Carbon Bolts Screws For Bottle Cages/FD/RD Cage -30
Storck Carbon Headset Cap and Spacers -35
BTP Carbon Ergo Clamps -18
Pedals Aerolite - New 04 Version - Even Lighter 62
Bottle Cages Record 36
Velox Cloth Rim Tape Cloth 0
Tune Skewers 49

Kg 5.649
Lbs 12.4278

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:05 pm 

morrisond wrote:
Finally, got my new bike this past week and have put a couple of hundred km's on it. One word, Awesome!

The bike rides super smooth (with Stiletto Fork and Speedneedle Marathon Seat), but is also extremely stiff when your applying power or going up hill, no discernable frame flex(I'm 220 lbs, I know all about Flex in frames). Changes direction instantly while still being stable. Also very pretty with the Storck Power Arms.

My previous bike was a Trek 5200. The Storck is way more vertically compliant, but also way stiffer when climbing etc..

You gotta like the German engineering(and Taiwan Build quality on the Frame, Fork still built in Germany).

I'm picking up my good wheels today - Spada Carbonio Aero's 1094 grams! I'm putting Tufo Elite Jet<160 on them and will try this weekend.

Great ride. you got me thinking into a 1.1. do you know what are the stiffness numbers on that frame? i have the info on the 0.9 but not on the 1.1. i would imagine that it is stiffer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:11 pm 

@Spytech

As you and I have discussed, stiffeness numbers aren't everything, have a read of this for example ---> [url]http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?id=2004/may14letters#Orbea[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:14 pm 

I remember seeing it on a post on this site, bascially it's 20% stiffer than an 0.9 and rated for up to 120 kgs. The bike tested on efbe.de is an 1.1. It's a beautiful bike and will probably be a little more unique than a Scott. Plus you can get matching Forks and cranks which are top quality, and look great. Talk to Bob at Storck USA 916-985-2269 if you want more info, great guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:23 pm 

morrisond wrote:
I remember seeing it on a post on this site, bascially it's 20% stiffer than an 0.9 and rated for up to 120 kgs. The bike tested on efbe.de is an 1.1. It's a beautiful bike and will probably be a little more unique than a Scott. Plus you can get matching Forks and cranks which are top quality, and look great. Talk to Bob at Storck USA 916-985-2269 if you want more info, great guy.

i tried calling he is in california doing dealer visits. yes i would like to match it up with the storck fork. but i really like my FSA superlight cranks.

i need to decide what size frame i want to get, i ride a med. in my giant. plus i want to do it, so i dont have any down time on my bike, but i still have to sell my giant to buy this frame.

Post subject: Storck
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:36 pm 

Think the Storck 1.1 is a great bike (I own a Storck 1.1 and a Scott CR-1 so it's relatively easy to compare).
I think besides the lower price and the better finish the Storck 1.1 is no match at all for the Scott. This goes for the larger frame sizes (for light and small riders I think the 0.9 and the CR-1 are equally good but so are lot of other frames).
Where the Scott really beats the Storck is its greater stiffness (which is everything when you're over 160 lbs and like to descend and corner real fast) combined with its low weight, dampening abilities and allmost perfect riding quality.
It's the first year for the Storck and I think they will improve in the next years but for the time being I think the Storck EVO is the best bike in the Storck range (but heavier).
Furthermore in the past years the only fork that works really well with storck products and especially The C 0.9/1.1 is the expensive stilletto light/normal.
So all the other fork deliver a compromise in the riding quality of a 1.1.
Since the Stilletto builds up 1/1.5 cm higher than any other fork there are few frames it will fit in well (it certainly did not fit the Scott)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:59 pm 

Veldt, To Quote yourself in comparing the Storck with the Scott"The comparison with my Storck competition: just as stiff but much lighter." Did the Storck loose it's stiffness all of a sudden?

It is heavier, but it is cheaper. Hopefully the heavier weight will lead to better long term durability.

Post subject: Storck - Scott
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:20 pm 

No the Storck hasn't lost its stiffness it was less stiff from new compared with the Scott.
And at least for carbon the weight of the frame doesn't guarantee longlivety. Remenber the C4 frames which where quite heavy but didn't last three years???
If you go for a frame that guaratees a long life buy titanium or steel (or some heavier carbon frames like colnago's C40 or Trek's oclv)
If you want a really light frame that is also stiff go for scandium or carbon.
With carbon the trick is to put more carbon where it is needed and less where it just adds weight.
Think that Scott (t.i. his taiwanese manufacturer) is the one that understands the material better than Storck. But this is just for the moment I'm sure Storck (and his chinese manufacturer) will learn quick, Storck modells for next year will be just as light/stiff as the CR-1.

Post subject: Re: Storck - Scott
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:51 pm 

veldt01 wrote:
No the Storck hasn't lost its stiffness it was less stiff from new compared with the Scott.
And at least for carbon the weight of the frame doesn't guarantee longlivety. Remenber the C4 frames which where quite heavy but didn't last three years???
If you go for a frame that guaratees a long life buy titanium or steel (or some heavier carbon frames like colnago's C40 or Trek's oclv)
If you want a really light frame that is also stiff go for scandium or carbon.
With carbon the trick is to put more carbon where it is needed and less where it just adds weight.
Think that Scott (t.i. his taiwanese manufacturer) is the one that understands the material better than Storck. But this is just for the moment I'm sure Storck (and his chinese manufacturer) will learn quick, Storck modells for next year will be just as light/stiff as the CR-1.

i wonder how the scott and storck will compare to the new giant advance frame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:41 pm 

From what I know, Storck, Scott and Kuota all come from the same Taiwan factory. You may have just gotten an unusually soft Storck or particularly stiff Scott. In any case were talking about small % differences. It's not like one is 3 times as stiff as the other. There all great bikes. It more depends on which one you like the looks of best.

Here is a picture of mine with Temporary parts and training wheels.

Attachments:
107_0800_3.JPG
107_0800_3.JPG [ 127.57 KiB | Viewed 1642 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:42 pm 

Up close shot of cranks.

Attachments:
108_0801_3.JPG
108_0801_3.JPG [ 123.47 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]

Post subject:
Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:42 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next