Time ASX Titan failure (Happened this morning!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Hyde wrote:Wow! Do you have pictures of the legs that did that damage :lol: . Actually glad to hear you didn't go down or get hurt! I wouldn't go so far as to say carbon is a bad crank material...until mine fail :wink: ... I think anything can be engineered properly to withstand a certain amout of stress. Good luck with getting your new cranks in a timely manner! May be worth buying a different set now & selling those when they arrive. Don't know what I'd do with a downed bike :cry:

I have an older set of FSA SLK cranks that are going on it for now. Those cranks were total crap though..... I had constand problems with them. But, nothing like this of course! :) I'm considering going ahead and buying some Record cranks.

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

drjones96 wrote:Well we have seen several Stronglight Pulsions fail in nearly the exact same manner. The same company manufactures the Time cranks FWIW.

Sad thing about it is that I was considering the Time cranks for my next frame and I knew of the Time/Stronglight connection but the Time seems to be better built structurally...guess it's not going to be one of my choices. Darn those carbon tabs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coolhand

by Coolhand

What's with the uber dirty chain on the really nice Tarmac?

:?:
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

Enforcer

by Enforcer

Damn :shock:

col hicks

by col hicks

what a bummer and i thought stronglight were crap :shock:

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Coolhand wrote:What's with the uber dirty chain on the really nice Tarmac?

Give me a break :) We've had a stretch of really bad weather here lately.... that's from like two days of riding. I already clean the bike a couple times a week... I have to save some time for riding :)

Hyde

by Hyde

:lol: Sounds like we have a couple princesses around here!

Skunk

by Skunk

little off topic here but has anyone gotten 07 record cranks yet? The guy I ordered from said he wouldn't get them in till November.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

That´s not dirty... Mine looks that clean a couple of time a year. But maybe it´s because of all that riding. :twisted: It´s not good for the chain.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

drjones96 wrote:But I would say the spider should have alloy tabs.

Wow another failure, the alloy spider is the exact reason I went with the vulcan vs. the pulsion. I don't think the 30gm weight penalty is worth the failure risk. I'm glad your OK Brisco...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Mario Jr. wrote:

That´s not dirty... Mine looks that clean a couple of time a year. But maybe it´s because of all that riding. :twisted: It´s not good for the chain.

Hey! Someone else who actually rides their bike, rather than just look at it :) 8)

Thanks for the understanding... they can't always be showroom fresh, no matter how often you clean. a few km of gravel thrown into the ride will gunk anything up quick.

Super_fast

by Super_fast

I cracked my Stronglight Pulsion the same way a few weeks a go. Two of the alu nuts are gone (probably broken), the only difference with my crank is that there was still one of the carbon pieces between the the chainrings left alright so my chainrings didn't come off. I cracked mine at the Velomedaine in Belgium, it is a steep climb but I am only 65 kg. I will post some pics tomorrow or Saturday. (They are on an other computer)

Edit: My crankset is the one Sharkman told about at the previous page.

snips

by snips

I posted this same problem with my Pulsions in June, got a replacement very quickly and (touch wood) no problems yet.
If we were a high end sports car forum would we moan about the failure of such cutting edge technology? I think this has been discussed elsewhere here when similar problems arise. This is a Weight Weenies site, not Heavy Duty Build site :o

cwmak

by cwmak

Ouch! At least you have warranty!

It is already known that stronglight makes time cranks and most time bikes use stronglight cranks like all the bikes we saw from interbike and that gave me the impression that stronglights were preferred because they were "stronger". Apparently, none of their cranks are strong!

With your ordeal, it gave me the absolute piece of mind to wait for M5 next year and not waste my money now on the time crankset.

The JOKE: Even though you are losing out here abit but i have to thank you for your accident if not i would be the next guy you see posting this same article.

Anyway, glad that you are ok!

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

Carbon is good for tubular or semi tubular shapes (bars, rims, frames, seatposts, brake levers) where the carbon fibres can be aligned properly to resist most commonly applied forces, combined with the inherent strength of the component shape. it it also suitably as a plate material for low-stress applications, such as outer derailleur cages and h2o cages.

making tabs, dropouts, and complicated moulded shapes like brakes out of carbon fibre is silly, as you can't really ensure that the carbon fibres will be oriented to counter all force vectors. the 360-degree strength of the crystalline matrices of forged or cast metal is far more suitable for the construction of the above items.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com