What's the lightest crankset with a removable spider?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G man

by G man

Bear with me on this one. Christmas is nearly here , so thinking about what I really need for my bike. Thinking of a new crankset, as fed up with my FSA crank loosening, despite lots of loctite. E bones QRC looks sweet! Then I thought, what if I want to get a power meter in the future? If I want a power meter, will I want a Sat Nav? (It's not rational but stay with me). The Quarq is compatible with the Garmin GPS, but you can only use it with cranks with a removable spider, such as :
Truvativ Rouleur
FSA team issue (won't be buying another FSA)

So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider? Or, maybe I should stop dreaming of power, navigation, crank combos and just ride my bike until my legs are burning, and buy a map!
Thanks
G man

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

literider

by literider

Keep in mind you'll be able to use the wireless SRM with the Garmin as well. I'd venture to guess that the lightest crankset with a removable spider is the Cannondale Hollowgram SL, which you can only use with BB30 compatible frames.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

G man wrote:So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider?

I think this one is one of the lightest and it has a lock ring behind the spider so it seems the spider can be removed.
Lightning Carbon Crank including bottom bracket and chainrings has a claimed weight of 580 grams.
http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
http://www.lightningbikes.com/LCC-Insta ... Rev%20.pdf

rascel

by rascel

rotor agilis ?!
Light-Bikes - news for weightweenies

Coolhand

by Coolhand

What about the Specialized carbon crank (again BB30 though).

:?:
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

djconnel

by djconnel

2 wheels wrote:
G man wrote:So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider?

I think this one is one of the lightest and it has a lock ring behind the spider so it seems the spider can be removed.
Lightning Carbon Crank including bottom bracket and chainrings has a claimed weight of 580 grams.
http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
http://www.lightningbikes.com/LCC-Insta ... Rev%20.pdf

These will be availability in Jan, according to an email Ijust received from them, confirming the date on the web page. They look quite promising.

Dan

peterpen

by peterpen

Doesn't Specialized license the Lightening design?

(And isn't the Specialized reputed to be rather flexy? Have a vague memory of some of the QuickStep guys at last year's training camp making fun of how poor it was.)

micky

by micky

peterpen wrote:Doesn't Specialized license the Lightening design?

(And isn't the Specialized reputed to be rather flexy? Have a vague memory of some of the QuickStep guys at last year's training camp making fun of how poor it was.)

Exactly

Maverick

by Maverick

micky wrote:
peterpen wrote:Doesn't Specialized license the Lightening design?

Exactly

I believe it was the chainrings that were the problem and they are now (apparently) fixed.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

Tune must be a contender - sub 400 grams.

djconnel

by djconnel

Maverick wrote:I believe it was the chainrings that were the problem and they are now (apparently) fixed.

For what it's worth (not much) I recently test rode a 2008 Tarmac SL with which I climbed 22nd from Vermont to Kansas in San Francisco (3 blocks, bottom block around 25% avg) in the 39/25 (the lowest gear the bike had), and didn't feel the chainrings flex... It shifted great (I didn't try on the climb, though).

The shop had called me to say they had an SL2 in my size (52) to try (w/ Red), but it sold before I could get there 2 days later.

G man

by G man

Thanks for all the suggestions. The hollowgram unfortunately isn't an option, as I have the insert for threaded BB in my Cannondale, and I believe you can damage the frame if you try and remove it. It's a shame because the cannondale alu hollowgram cranks are my favourite in terms of looks, and they're also very light and meant to be stiff. The Lightning cranks look very promising in terms of weight, and Quarq comatibility. As they won't be available until Jan, I'll have to think of a different Christmas present! Have any of you guys who always get their hands on nice stuff managed to test a set of these at any shows?
Cheers
G man
not quite all the gear; definitely no idea.

saletel

by saletel

G man wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. The hollowgram unfortunately isn't an option, as I have the insert for threaded BB in my Cannondale, and I believe you can damage the frame if you try and remove it. It's a shame because the cannondale alu hollowgram cranks are my favourite in terms of looks, and they're also very light and meant to be stiff. The Lightning cranks look very promising in terms of weight, and Quarq comatibility. As they won't be available until Jan, I'll have to think of a different Christmas present! Have any of you guys who always get their hands on nice stuff managed to test a set of these at any shows?
Cheers
G man

what frame do you have? its ok to remove from the system six or any other frame with an aluminum BB.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

saletel wrote:
G man wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. The hollowgram unfortunately isn't an option, as I have the insert for threaded BB in my Cannondale, and I believe you can damage the frame if you try and remove it. It's a shame because the cannondale alu hollowgram cranks are my favourite in terms of looks, and they're also very light and meant to be stiff. The Lightning cranks look very promising in terms of weight, and Quarq comatibility. As they won't be available until Jan, I'll have to think of a different Christmas present! Have any of you guys who always get their hands on nice stuff managed to test a set of these at any shows?
Cheers
G man

what frame do you have? its ok to remove from the system six or any other frame with an aluminum BB.

yep, the sleeve comes with its own tool for installation and extraction.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

G man

by G man

I've got a 2006 six 13 pro that came with an FSA crankset, so the BB area is aluminium. I don't know for definite if it is oversized to take the hollowgram crank (i.e. I don't know if it even has a threaded BB sleeve to remove). It would be great to get hollowgram cranks if it is possible.
Cheers
G man
not quite all the gear; definitely no idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com