HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 am 

Bear with me on this one. Christmas is nearly here , so thinking about what I really need for my bike. Thinking of a new crankset, as fed up with my FSA crank loosening, despite lots of loctite. E bones QRC looks sweet! Then I thought, what if I want to get a power meter in the future? If I want a power meter, will I want a Sat Nav? (It's not rational but stay with me). The Quarq is compatible with the Garmin GPS, but you can only use it with cranks with a removable spider, such as :
Truvativ Rouleur
FSA team issue (won't be buying another FSA)

So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider? Or, maybe I should stop dreaming of power, navigation, crank combos and just ride my bike until my legs are burning, and buy a map!
Thanks
G man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:52 am 

Keep in mind you'll be able to use the wireless SRM with the Garmin as well. I'd venture to guess that the lightest crankset with a removable spider is the Cannondale Hollowgram SL, which you can only use with BB30 compatible frames.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:52 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:46 am 

G man wrote:
So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider?

I think this one is one of the lightest and it has a lock ring behind the spider so it seems the spider can be removed.
Lightning Carbon Crank including bottom bracket and chainrings has a claimed weight of 580 grams.
http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
http://www.lightningbikes.com/LCC-Insta ... Rev%20.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:01 am 

rotor agilis ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:45 pm 

What about the Specialized carbon crank (again BB30 though).

:?:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:48 pm 

2 wheels wrote:
G man wrote:
So what's the weight weeniest crankset with removable spider?

I think this one is one of the lightest and it has a lock ring behind the spider so it seems the spider can be removed.
Lightning Carbon Crank including bottom bracket and chainrings has a claimed weight of 580 grams.
http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
http://www.lightningbikes.com/LCC-Insta ... Rev%20.pdf

These will be availability in Jan, according to an email Ijust received from them, confirming the date on the web page. They look quite promising.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:27 pm 

Doesn't Specialized license the Lightening design?

(And isn't the Specialized reputed to be rather flexy? Have a vague memory of some of the QuickStep guys at last year's training camp making fun of how poor it was.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:43 am 

peterpen wrote:

(And isn't the Specialized reputed to be rather flexy? Have a vague memory of some of the QuickStep guys at last year's training camp making fun of how poor it was.)

Exactly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:14 am 

micky wrote:
peterpen wrote:

Exactly

I believe it was the chainrings that were the problem and they are now (apparently) fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:42 pm 

Tune must be a contender - sub 400 grams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 pm 

Maverick wrote:
I believe it was the chainrings that were the problem and they are now (apparently) fixed.

For what it's worth (not much) I recently test rode a 2008 Tarmac SL with which I climbed 22nd from Vermont to Kansas in San Francisco (3 blocks, bottom block around 25% avg) in the 39/25 (the lowest gear the bike had), and didn't feel the chainrings flex... It shifted great (I didn't try on the climb, though).

The shop had called me to say they had an SL2 in my size (52) to try (w/ Red), but it sold before I could get there 2 days later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions. The hollowgram unfortunately isn't an option, as I have the insert for threaded BB in my Cannondale, and I believe you can damage the frame if you try and remove it. It's a shame because the cannondale alu hollowgram cranks are my favourite in terms of looks, and they're also very light and meant to be stiff. The Lightning cranks look very promising in terms of weight, and Quarq comatibility. As they won't be available until Jan, I'll have to think of a different Christmas present! Have any of you guys who always get their hands on nice stuff managed to test a set of these at any shows?
Cheers
G man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm 

G man wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. The hollowgram unfortunately isn't an option, as I have the insert for threaded BB in my Cannondale, and I believe you can damage the frame if you try and remove it. It's a shame because the cannondale alu hollowgram cranks are my favourite in terms of looks, and they're also very light and meant to be stiff. The Lightning cranks look very promising in terms of weight, and Quarq comatibility. As they won't be available until Jan, I'll have to think of a different Christmas present! Have any of you guys who always get their hands on nice stuff managed to test a set of these at any shows?
Cheers
G man

what frame do you have? its ok to remove from the system six or any other frame with an aluminum BB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm 

saletel wrote:
G man wrote:
Cheers
G man

what frame do you have? its ok to remove from the system six or any other frame with an aluminum BB.

yep, the sleeve comes with its own tool for installation and extraction.

Starnut

BB30.COM

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:22 pm 

I've got a 2006 six 13 pro that came with an FSA crankset, so the BB area is aluminium. I don't know for definite if it is oversized to take the hollowgram crank (i.e. I don't know if it even has a threaded BB sleeve to remove). It would be great to get hollowgram cranks if it is possible.
Cheers
G man