Mavic GEL 280's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MONT DU CHAT

by MONT DU CHAT

Can anyone give me a bit of advise with a set of wheels I am looking to have bulit up

I have a set of unused Mavic GEL 280 tubular rims, which are weigh about 310 grams each, the only problem is that they are 36 hole. I was going to get them built up on a set of 36hole american classic hubs.

First of all are they worth building up as I think I read somewhere that they weren't as strong as modern rims.

What spokes would you recommend and what would the approx weight be when built up the rims and hubs alone weigh about 900grams. I think I would struggle to get them weighing less than 1250grams.

Also remember reading that Graeme Obree laced a pair of 36 hole rims wheels with only 18 spokes, whould this be stong enough for a rider weighing 55kg has anyone tried this?

Oswald

by Oswald

I have a pair of carbon aero wheels that have 16 spokes instead of the 32 they were meant for... I weigh 64kg and they seem to hold... They are laced radially up front and 1x crossed rear both sides... They were built by our shop mechanic who used to wrench for Rabobank...

I can have my hands on a new Gel330 rim, but am still searching for a Gel280 or other Gel330 to make a pair of lightweight climbing wheels... According to my mechanic building these with only half the number of spokes should be no problem... as long as u use them as event only wheels... His biggest concern is water entering through the spoke holes...
Last edited by Oswald on Sun May 16, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MONT DU CHAT

by MONT DU CHAT

Yes, I think Graeme Obree modified his rims to fill in the spare holes to stop water entering the holes.

tommasini

by tommasini

I've built many a 280 rim - still ride them today for front only. These are all 32 hole and work fine @155 lbs. No way on the rear with the offset of today's wheels. I've built a few 28 hole fronts and they were noticeablly more difficult to stay true. Add to the mix the fact that they crack easily and thus self destruct I'd say stay away from 1/2 the number of spokes even for special event.

Put em on ebay and get some good cash for them and use it toward other rims.

P.S. I also ride 32 hole hubs laced w/16 spokes to the older 395 gram 16 hole zipp carbon rims.....now I do trust them in this sort of situation
Last edited by tommasini on Sat May 15, 2004 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

jer

by jer

I agree with Tommasini. I too have had a lot of experience with Mavic sew-up rims, but mostly the 330s, not so much with the 280s. Here is what I know. Gel 280s are VERY soft rims. I doubt one could bring up the spoke tension to proper levels lacing every other spoke, but even if you could the rear would fold as soon as you stood up to sprint out of a corner. This is a bad option with these rims.

Here is what i think. Since you are only 55kg (121lbs) If you laced the rear with 14/15g spokes, alloy nipples and a high flange, low dish hub like the American classic you would have a prettly light rear wheel that should be sturdy enough for an event wheel. With the front you could go with Revos (36) on the hub of your choice.

Tommasini, do you think the rear is doable in that situation?

tommasini

by tommasini

With my 280 front I run a 330 rear (both 32 hole). Even then the rear on the drive side will crack after about 3 to 5 K miles while the front will just keep on going and going for many more. On both I run DT Revs 3x. To keep away the broken spoke demons I do run the tension up fairly high at first but that seems to slack a little off as they get used.

Bottom line, with 36 holes and the hub combo mentioned it might be worth a try (the 280 x36) on the rear......but what I'm thinking is once one of those rims dies you're stuck buying 36 hole replacement rims or selling off the hubs for a big loss......You could likely get $35 each for the rims on ebay and use that toward some 28 or 32 hole Ambrosio Crono in front and Montreal in back for some still very light but more durable (and still inexpensive) tubular wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Oswald wrote:According to my mechanic building these with only half the number of spokes should be no problem... as long as u use them as event only wheels...

I was talking about the front rim being laced with only half the number of spokes... that wasn't very clear the way I wrote it first...